A modern-day IBM1130?

Bob Flanders

Aug 28, 2013, 6:18:09 PM8/28/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
In 2007, Richard Stofer demonstrated his IBM1130 emulator as seen in the links at http://ibm1130.org/party.

Today, I ran across this blog post detailing how Mr. Carl Claunch is recreating the 1130 with a mixture of modern and old hardware.

Fascinating! Here's the link... http://ibm1130.blogspot.com/

Bob Flanders

Eddy Quicksall

Jan 13, 2014, 4:37:27 PM1/13/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
A few years ago there was a guy in Europe that programmed an FPGA to act like a Digital Scientific Meta-4. His plan was to make it run the IBM 1130 emulator which was written for the Meta-4 in the early 70's. I spoke to my friend that supplied the emulator source listing but never found out if he completed the project.

Richard Stofer

Jan 13, 2014, 5:28:05 PM1/13/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I have built a couple of FPGA versions of the IBM 1130.  My current incantation is based on the Digilent Inc NEXYS2 board.   It uses a Compact Flash for disk storage, has 4 USB serial ports for Console, Keyboard, Printer and Card Reader plus a fast serial stream to an offboard mbed processor to handle plotting directly to a network LaserJet.  It is configured for 32k words and it works pretty well.

http://digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,789&Prod=NEXYS2  I use the board with the larger gate count.  Just because…

All of the 1130 software runs, unaltered, and it runs at 50 MHz versus, perhaps, 40 kHz of the original.

It’s kind of fun to be writing Fortran again, particularly programs that use the plotter.

I gave a presentation a few years ago at the 11/30 party:

http://ibm1130.org/party/v06

All of the software is based on the efforts of Brian Knittel and his simulator.  Without his assembler, this project would never have gotten started.

http://ibm1130.org/sim

Another fellow, Carl Claunch, has managed to build a more exact replica of the original design including all the asynchronous logic; I believe it runs in real time.  He stops by from time to time.  His machine is much more advanced than mine.  I believe he even has a Selectric typewriter for the console device.

John R Pierce

Jan 13, 2014, 5:42:16 PM1/13/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 1/13/2014 2:28 PM, Richard Stofer wrote:
All of the 1130 software runs, unaltered, and it runs at 50 MHz versus, perhaps, 40 kHz of the original.

the standard 1130's clock was 2.2 Mhz divided by 8 for a 277Khz (3.6uS) cycle time.   The faster model 2.2uS 1130's clock ran at 3.6MHz, for a 455khz cycle time..

Richard Stofer

Jan 13, 2014, 5:58:46 PM1/13/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I slipped a digit.  I was aiming for about 400 kHz.  Poor typing skills…  We had the 8k 3.6 uS machine.

There are other differences in the FPGA version:  The multiply instruction uses an internal 18x18 multiplier and takes 2 cycles (40 nS).  Addition and subtraction are also 1 cycle rather than iterative over the carries in the original machine.

If I had the interest, I could build a hardware floating point unit and rewrite the floating point library.  That would really speed up the works!

Dave Wade

Jan 13, 2014, 6:01:06 PM1/13/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 13/01/2014 22:28, Richard Stofer wrote:

[...]

I now own a Selectric Magnetic Card Typewriter (I just have not collected it yet) so I hope to EVENTUALLY also have a a Selectric Console Typewriter.....

A few years ago there was a guy in Europe that programmed an FPGA to act like a Digital Scientific Meta-4. His plan was to make it run the IBM 1130 emulator which was written for the Meta-4 in the early 70's. I spoke to my friend that supplied the emulator source listing but never found out if he completed the project.

Dave Wade G4UGM
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Richard Stofer

Jan 13, 2014, 6:27:15 PM1/13/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I never used the console typewriter very much.   It seemed to take a lot more memory and on an 8k machine, there’s not a lot to start with.  About the only time I used it was to play 3D Tic-Tac-Toe.  Then I had to tear off the paper and lose it before the department head found out.

In my first incantation, I implemented an 80x25 two color VGA display and a PS/2 keyboard.  It worked very well but it wasn’t portable for ‘show and tell’ so I replaced them with a serial port.  Now I see there are 7” HDMI displays.  Hm…  Maybe I should revisit the console idea.  It would be pretty easy to add an HDMI core and I think I have plenty of BlockRAM for the display buffer.