Shift to black to console printer

John McKee

Jul 12, 2016, 2:10:40 AM7/12/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Could the console printer handle a long sequence of shift to black operations without being broken?

John McKee

Dave Wade

Jul 12, 2016, 3:46:59 AM7/12/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Not sure about the 1130 console, but a 2741 could. I know, I mis-treated one just to see it leap about the computer room. (hangs head in shame)

Dave

G4UGM

Carl Claunch

Jul 13, 2016, 11:00:40 AM7/13/16
to IBM1130, jmmc...@gmail.com
Hi John

No problems writing a long sequence to the 1053. It just activates a solenoid on the lower left side of the 1053 to shift the tension in a nylon tape that runs over pulleys and attaches to the print carrier. There are two solenoids, one for red and one for black, to move an arm between two positions.

When you send the shift to black or red commands, it just softly pulses the solenoid. It doesn't fire the typewriter mechanism at all - no print cycle. You could do this all day and all night without harm.

Carl