Anyone willing to sell a Selectric 988 typeball (APL element for 1130)?

Carl Claunch

Mar 9, 2014, 7:20:00 PM3/9/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
If anyone has a Selectric element number 988 they are willing to sell, I would love to get this into operation on the 1130 replica. That is the APL typeball in the PTT/BCD arrangement used on the 1130 and on some 2741 terminals.

Less ideal is the 987 typeball - which has the correspondence (selectric typewriter) arrangement - the other APL ball used on 2741 terminals. This element has the same characters as the 988 but its arrangement doesn't match the codes built into the APL/1130 software, which expects each character in its PTT/BCD location. I could add some hardware to translate codes on the fly, when the 987 APL ball is installed, but this has the potential to raise compatibility issues particularly related to timing. Nonetheless, if the 987 is the only ball I can secure, I would use it.

I have seen the 987 typeball pop up on ebay in recent months, although the last one was bought before I could push the Buy It Now button myself, but I have not come across the ideal one - 988 - in quite a while. Since it isn't useful on a Selectric typewriter, just on BCD terminals like some 2741s or the 1052/1053, there are fewer people who could use it. The 987 will type the same letter as the keycap on a Selectric, since both use the correspondence arrangement.

Some may own this as part of a collection and not want to part with it, or have a running 1130 on which they would use it, but it is worth asking in case someone has a ball they are willing to sell.

Thanks,
   Carl

John R Pierce

Jul 28, 2014, 3:11:23 AM7/28/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 3/9/2014 4:20 PM, Carl Claunch wrote:
> If anyone has a Selectric element number 988 they are willing to sell,
> I would love to get this into operation on the 1130 replica. That is
> the APL typeball in the PTT/BCD arrangement used on the 1130 and on
> some 2741 terminals.

you mean, this one?
http://pierce.smugmug.com/Misc/APL-Typeball/i-BBzVQ7Z/0/X3/IMG_2069-X3.jpg

I believe its still 100% intact albeit in need of a cleaning. it hasn't
been used since the mid 70s..
http://pierce.smugmug.com/Misc/APL-Typeball/i-7BmTz3G/0/X3/IMG_2065-X3.jpg

the rest of the pics http://pierce.smugmug.com/Misc/APL-Typeball/

So.. where are you and this 1130 ?

--
john r pierce 37N 122W

Dave Wade

Jul 28, 2014, 7:15:15 AM7/28/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
John,

Carl is building a replica. His progress to date is on his blog here:-

http://ibm1130.blogspot.co.uk/

and there are some great YouTube videos of it

Dave

Carl Claunch

Jul 28, 2014, 10:41:47 AM7/28/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

I did come across the 988 (and 987 for typewriter encoded selectric mechanisms) typeballs eventually and have both.

One of my active projects is a disk emulation system to attach in the interim until I get the DEC RK05 drives working as mock 2310s

Carl