Re: [IBM1130] A modern-day IBM1130?

Walter T. Mosscrop

Aug 28, 2013, 9:46:12 PM8/28/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
And then there's my work in progress, an 1130 emulator based on a Parallax Propeller microcontroller...

The CPU emulation is about 3X faster than the original 1130. I use an SD card for the card deck (emulating a 2501) and for the printer (1403). The disk is emulated on a 2MB flash chip, and there are 8K words of core memory.

A modified electronic typewriter (via RS-232) acts as the console keyboard/printer. I apparently damaged one of the connectors a while back and have yet to figure out how to fix it. It's on my (ever growing) project list.

In the meantime, I wrote a quick-and-dirty console emulator program so that I can still play the games.

Walter Mosscrop
Aug 28, 2013, 9:55:26 PM8/28/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Was the game written in Fortran? EMU or 1130? Assembler?

Bob

Walter T. Mosscrop

Aug 28, 2013, 11:03:38 PM8/28/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
It was written in Fortran with a smidgen of Assembler. The Assembler code was used to bypass the Fortran character set restrictions... you couldn't directly print "!", "?:, or ":", even though they were available on the element.

The routine simply set up an XIO instruction with the appropriate console printer (rotate/shift) code. The resulting "operation complete" interrupt from the printing was simply ignored by the interrupt handler.

Walter