1442 question

John McKee

Nov 22, 2013, 2:35:33 PM11/22/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Just wondering.  The 1442 had a primary and a secondary stacker.  What happens once primary stacker is full?  Could that be sensed and then further cards would be directed to the alternate stacker?  Or did both stackers operate the same switch?

John McKee

Chuck Worthley

Nov 22, 2013, 2:42:19 PM11/22/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
HI...

    I don't think it did....but of course that was 35 years ago (-:

   One use we found for the alternate stacker, was at our college , students would throw out a lot of blank cards

   So we wrote a program that would read a stack of cards thru our light-speed 2501 reader...

    Then we would load the same stack in the punch, and it would punch blanks, and direct the blank cards that had been read to the alternate stacker

   That's probably why there are still trees on the campus (-:

Regards, Chuck

John R Pierce

Nov 22, 2013, 2:46:48 PM11/22/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
IIRC, either stacker could hold the whole input hopper worth of cards,
so not sure it mattered.

--
john r pierce 37N 122W

Peter Vaughan

Nov 22, 2013, 3:17:25 PM11/22/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

The stacker full signal (a contact switch at the end of each of the stackers) is a local signal to the 1442 and not available to the CPU, so cannot be detected by software. It is one of the interlock signals that control whether the 1442 can remain in a ready condition to receive commands from the CPU. Other interlocks include the stacker cover, card feed issues and hopper empty, any of which can make the 1442 not ready and unable to receive any further commands from the CPU.

The 1442 has no logic or intelligence to switch to a different stacker itself, this is only possible via a Stacker Select command from the CPU.

When the 1442 goes not ready it requires operator intervention to clear the problem (i.e. empty the stacker), and press the start button before it can be made ready again.

- Peter

On Fri 22/11/13 19:35 , John McKee <jmm...@flinthills.com> wrote:

Just wondering.  The 1442 had a primary and a secondary stacker.  What happens once primary stacker is full?  Could that be sensed and then further cards would be directed to the alternate stacker?  Or did both stackers operate the same switch?

John McKee

John McKee

Nov 22, 2013, 3:49:26 PM11/22/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't remember if the DSW communicated stacker status. I did not think that it did.  Also, the stacker select command must be issued before every read to select the alternate stacker.

I was thinking of an application that either read or punched a lot of cards.  Hopper would need to be refilled many times.  Application would have to count cards then do stacker select commands.

But, question now is does internal circuitry of 1442 "know" which stacker is full, even if that information is not reported in DSW?

John McKee

Peter Vaughan

Nov 22, 2013, 4:06:06 PM11/22/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
The logic/circuit diagrams only show a single stacker full switch so either there are 2 switches ORed and treated as one or there is only one switch for both. Either way there is no separate wiring so no way to know which stacker is full.

- Peter

James Field

Nov 23, 2013, 1:19:45 PM11/23/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
> --

Working from "first principles" and with no access to detailed knowledge
of the device protocols of the 1442 card read/punch I make
the following observations as an OPERATOR (card jockey) and later as a
sysprog:

An operator feeding trays and trays of cards into a job would have no
awareness of whether cards selected for one stacker or the other were
important. S/He would just notice that the 1442
had gone not-ready and attended to the not-ready condition... This would
have almost certainly been something like : clear the hopper into a
large card tray (maintaining card order at all costs!)
AND PRESS START (on the card-read-punch). I suspect that the patiently
waiting program controlling the job would sense the "start" and continue
its progress.

Remember that the 140x series of basically unit record oriented
equipment was fundamentally card oriented. Operator considerations were
paramount.

The 360 and 1800/1130 were part of an interesting mix at that time.

James Field

Nov 23, 2013, 2:05:31 PM11/23/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

David G. Nagel

Nov 22, 2013, 6:26:05 PM11/22/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
There was a secondary stacker that was under program control. If the primary stacker filled ot just stopped.

Dave Nagel

Sent from my iPad

Carl Claunch

Nov 27, 2013, 4:47:28 AM11/27/13
to ibm...@googlegroups.com, peter....@tnmoc.org
Further to the point made by Peter Vaughan - no wire carries the stacker full status to the 1130. All 1442 machines wired the stacker full in series with chip box full, chip box removed and the operator stop button - any of those three switches activating looked just like the operator pushing Stop. No way for the hardware in the 1130 to even see that it was stacker full rather than chip box full or operator action that made the 1442 not-ready.

Harvey Morgan

Jan 7, 2014, 11:53:37 AM1/7/14
to ibm1130
Hello all,

In 2004 I purchased on eBay a "Core storage plane from IBM 1130, 1800, 360".  It has spent most of the intervening years in a storage locker.  I have since moved to France; a friend is helping me dispose of my State-side "treasures".  If someone would like this, please reply to this email, and my friend will mail it to you.  Anybody rebuilding or servicing an 1130 gets first dibs.  Otherwise, first come, first served.

By the way, I do have a question about this memory card.  The one I recall seeing back in 1971 was larger and had little cores with wires strung thru them.  Was there more than one type of memory card?

And now for a bit of history: I'm a co-inventor on a patent for a software system I programmed, using Fortran II on the IBM 1130.  If interested, you can look it up here: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=22&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=eiben.INNM.&OS=IN/eiben&RS=IN/eiben

The patent was applied for in 1971 and granted in 1983, long after I had left the firm where I wrote the software.  Like most patents, nothing came of it.

I was told the 1130 with the 1403, 082, internal hard disk (2311?), plotter and key punches rented for $6 000 per month.  The beast had 32kb memory, and I used SOCALs and LOCALs quite a bit to get programs to load and run.

Bonne année !

Harvey Morgan, Bordeaux, France

Peter Vaughan

Jan 7, 2014, 2:32:57 PM1/7/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harvey,

Are you saying this memory plane does not contain magnetic cores? As far as I am aware, the 1130 and 1800 systems only ever had core based memory in modules of 8KWords, each module being made up of multiple core store planes housed in a memory module containing SLT cards for controlling access to it. I think the 360 was the same but I'm not that familiar with what was used on the later models.

It may well be of interest to our Museum here in the UK where I have been restoring an 8KW IBM 1130, which is almost fully working after 4 years of work, but it maybe helpful if a picture can be taken of the memory plane so it can be identified properly (in case the original description was wrong). We also have a display of various memory architectures through computing history, so even if it turns out not to be for the 1130, it would find a place next to other memory boards we have.

Peter Vaughan
The National Museum of Computing (TNMOC)
Bletchley Park
Milton Keynes
UK

And now for a bit of history: I'm a co-inventor on a patent for a software system I programmed, using Fortran II on the IBM 1130.  If interested, you can look it up here: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=22&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=eiben.INNM.&OS=IN/eiben&RS=IN/eiben

The patent was applied for in 1971 and granted in 1983, long after I had left the firm where I wrote the software.  Like most patents, nothing came of it.

I was told the 1130 with the 1403, 082, internal hard disk (2311?), plotter and key punches rented for $6 000 per month.  The beast had 32kb memory, and I used SOCALs and LOCALs quite a bit to get programs to load and run.

Bonne année !

Harvey Morgan, Bordeaux, France

John R Pierce

Jan 7, 2014, 3:55:52 PM1/7/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
On 1/7/2014 8:53 AM, Harvey Morgan wrote:
> In 2004 I purchased on eBay a "Core storage plane from IBM 1130, 1800,
> 360". It has spent most of the intervening years in a storage
> locker. I have since moved to France; a friend is helping me dispose
> of my State-side "treasures". If someone would like this, please
> rebuilding or servicing an 1130 gets first dibs. Otherwise, first
> come, first served.
>
> By the way, I do have a question about this memory card. The one I
> recall seeing back in 1971 was larger and had little cores with wires
> strung thru them. Was there more than one type of memory card?

can you get your friend to post a picture of this card online somewhere
and forward you the URL so you can forward it to us? 1130 was strictly
core memory, as I recall around 6x6" planes of woven wires with magnetic
donuts at each intersection, in a frame mounted on a circuit board (but
its been a LONG time since I saw one up close)

Harvey Morgan

Jan 7, 2014, 4:45:25 PM1/7/14
to ibm1130
I've written to my state-side friend asking for a photo of the 1130 memory card.  I'll post it when it arrives.

Harvey

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 10:42 PM, Harvey Morgan <harvey.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
Michel,

I sent the email about the availability of the 1130 memory card to the email exchange that is interested in the IBM 1130.  Below are the responses.  Is it possible for  you to take a photo of the card and to send it to me?  If so, bear in mind there is no rush.

Harvey

Peter Vaughan

Jan 7, 2014, 5:16:03 PM1/7/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

John, make that 9 x 6" planes (18 bit memory - 16 bits + 2 parity bits per word)

Here are some pics of my spare (but incomplete) 8kW 1130 store module and a pic of the 8KW store currently running in the 1130.

- Peter

On Tue 07/01/14 20:55 , John R Pierce pie...@hogranch.com sent:
IMG_8024_web1024.jpg
213_web1024.jpg
211_web1024.jpg

miles_gmail

Jan 7, 2014, 8:26:51 PM1/7/14
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

That’s the real deal,  There is one in the Technology Area at Bridgewater College, Bridgewater VA.  I was the first Manager of the C.E. Shull Computing Center and when that machine was finally removed from service, I removed the memory and it was placed in a showcase in the Science Building.

Miles Sandin

Jan 8, 2014, 4:45:49 PM1/8/14
to ibm1130
Peter Vaughan,

Having a weakness for museums, I've asked my states-side friend to mail you the memory card.  May it find a happy place there, more useful than my storage locker.

Harvey

Harvey Morgan

Jan 9, 2014, 10:15:56 AM1/9/14
to ibm1130