What is that in the background?

Bob Flanders

May 5, 2016, 5:30:00 PM5/5/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb0cRL2mnbA

At about 7:40 in the video, what is that in the background?

;)

Bob

Peter Vaughan (TNMOC)

May 5, 2016, 6:02:57 PM5/5/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Yep, it's an 1130 without the top label plate above the indicator panel... but how many 1130s do you actually see in that sequence... hint it's more than 1

- Peter

Sent from my Samsung device

Brian Knittel

May 5, 2016, 6:16:40 PM5/5/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I count two of 'em

dey

May 5, 2016, 7:06:42 PM5/5/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Peter,

Let’s answer your question this way.  IBM was the world’s largest user of the 1130 series computer (in all of its variations) in its manufacturing process.  It was that way past the 370 series platform.

derrick

Bob Flanders

May 6, 2016, 10:04:11 AM5/6/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I will have to watch again.

Thanks for the note.

Bob

Bob Flanders

May 6, 2016, 10:13:39 AM5/6/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
There may actually be four, but two are really obscure. Of course there's the two behind the 3330 he is showing, but there MAY be one to his left @7:33. (look at the panel from the side sticking up, and paper coming out of the console in back.) And maybe ... just maybe .. way at the back behind the techs @7:48 just barely visible. Is that another one?

Bob

peter....@tnmoc.org

May 6, 2016, 10:23:59 AM5/6/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Yes, I counted 4. Apart from the one back right, which I can't see clearly, they all appear to be 4 or 8KW systems (no blister expansion).

Also I see no 1442's (unless they are all out of shot) or any other peripherals, so it is unclear how they booted them?

- Peter

dey

May 8, 2016, 2:54:18 PM5/8/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

As far as I have been able to determine, there are only four (04) in the photo.  You have identified them all.

Derrick

Carl Claunch

May 9, 2016, 10:59:18 AM5/9/16
to IBM1130
Since they are connected to disk drives, they should have an 1133 connected to each 1131.  That box is where the 1130 would implement the selector channel which provides the bus and tag connection to 2310 and 2311 in a supported 1130 system (and to other bus and tag based disk controllers for the disks they are supporting in the factory).

As for boot up, they could have some custom gear, other than a 1442 or 2501, but I would bet on a 2501 located off camera, near the 1133. It is even possible to toggle in the 80 words of a boot card via the control panel, avoiding any need for a card reader, assuming some customized version of the monitor were installed on the internal disk and did not need to read monitor control cards.

Carl

Jeff Jonas

May 9, 2016, 1:53:26 PM5/9/16
to IBM1130, Carl Claunch / diagonalboard
Carl:
> Since they are connected to disk drives,
> they should have an 1133 connected to each 1131.

I wish I had photos of the 1133 mux I used.
It was mostly empty: just the minimal gates required for
two single platter drives.
Quite the closet!

> That box is where the 1130 would implement the selector channel
> which provides the bus and tag connection to 2310 and 2311
> in a supported 1130 system (and to other bus and tag based disk controllers
> for the disks they are supporting in the factory).

Does that mean the controller translates the 1130's XIO instruction
into the bus-and-tag commands?

One of the 2 System 1130s donated to my college (around 1980)
had a Calcomp DS-12 diskpack that connected directly to the SAC.
It used an 11 platter diskpack for 20 surfaces,
each surface emulating one drive.
It emulated 5 drives at a time in compatibility mode.
I never had the software to access more than 5 surfaces at a time.
I wish the manual had survived for it would've been a great start
for how to emulate ALL the hard drives with one unit
(a 4004 based controller at the time).
Did IBM ever have a similar device?

That system had 2 Calcomp peripherals: the 565 plotter (IBM 1627)
and the DS-12.

> As for boot up, they could have some custom gear,
> other than a 1442 or 2501

I thought there was a jumper for booting from paper tape,
which might also beat the 80 word limit.
And if it read 2: 8 bits for each word, then no need for
expanding the 12 bit card column into a 16 bit word.

-- jeff jonas

Paul Tremblett

May 9, 2016, 3:56:45 PM5/9/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com, Carl Claunch / diagonalboard
Our SE had a fit when he saw we were keeping pizzas warm inside the 1133 :-)

Sent from my iPhone

miles sandin

May 9, 2016, 4:11:21 PM5/9/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
That is cool.

We had a 1403 slow speed on ours. At a COMMON meeting someone talked about how that was really just a crippled higher speed model. I remember looking at the manuals and finally finding a jumper which caused the processing to wait until the print chain was at the home position. It was with great fear that I finally pulled one end of it. Lived in constant fear that a CE would notice.

May 9, 2016, 5:37:05 PM5/9/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
I remember a CE telling us how our upgrade to something faster/more powerful often involved removing/disabling some inhibit circuitry.

Sent from my iPhone

Jeff Jonas

May 9, 2016, 5:51:24 PM5/9/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
> We had a 1403 slow speed on ours.
> At a COMMON meeting

Did any newsletters, flyers or shareware survive?
I scanned a few newsletters
ferretronix.com/1130/newsletters

> Lived in constant fear that a CE would notice.

How many others have stories of fearing the CE?

Around 1982, a client was still running a heavily modified IBM system 3.
No console Selectric, just the 2 digit front panel display.
Memorex memory, line printer and diskpack drives.

When it ran, it was quite nice.
But when anything broke, the IBM and Memorex CEs pointed fingers at each other.
I heard stories of pure extortion where IBM made it clear
any shop that was not "true blue" with all IBM peripherals & supplies
would not get anywhere near the prompt service of those who were.
It took a brave soul to use non-IBM peripherals
such as AT&T/Teletype sync terminals & controllers.

On the other hand, many CEs were very clever and showed us things
we'd never otherwise have known.
I remember the enlightenment of being shown the 1442
safety override switch that let it run with the covers open :-)

What CE tricks and wisdoms do you remember?

-- jeff jonas

miles sandin

May 9, 2016, 6:41:35 PM5/9/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
We also ordered a Logicon Async adapter so we could communicate to TI-942 programmable terminals. We had to have SAC-II installed in the 1133.  When all was done, it didn't work. Lots of finger-pointing. Finally, I disconnected the 1133 from SAC-I and plugged the Async into it. Worked great.  Invited the CEs back in. That was enough proof for them to look closely ay SAC-II.  After a couple of days they were able to determine a factory mis-wire. We had a good relationship with our CEs and SEs. We're a small town and those guys were our friends.

May 10, 2016, 12:48:08 PM5/10/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
Jul 25, 2016, 5:17:31 PM7/25/16
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
We did that with the 1403 printer. Just removed a board and put a liver of paper over the "wire" then re-inserted the card. It made the slow 1403 into a fast 1403. On the 1800 they charged according to the meter on the computer. But sometimes we had to put a job on that ran past our quitting time. So one of the guys rigged up a plunger that worked off of a signal and when our job was done the program would energize the signal and shut down the computer.

Eddy

Jun 12, 2017, 9:06:19 PM6/12/17
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
The same SE who told us about how many upgrades were performed by severing “disable” circuits once showed us what REALLY happened if you pulled the Emergency Pull switch. He showed us how to reset it and told us that we were now sworn to nver tell but to keep alive forever the myth that it would instalntly fuse every component in the computer.

Bob Flanders

Jan 7, 2018, 12:19:17 AM1/7/18
to IBM1130
One more ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQcnECbkD3s at 1:24 ... not quite the background

Jeff Jonas

Jan 7, 2018, 12:46:58 AM1/7/18
to IBM1130
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb0cRL2mnbA
>> At about 7:40 in the video, what is that in the background?

IBM may have been its own best customer for the 1130,
using it for HVAC, test rigs, "smart" remote terminals, etc.

Eddy Quicksall

Jan 25, 2018, 6:29:07 PM1/25/18
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
IBM did use a lot of 1130's. When I was at the IBM typewriter HQ installing
my IBM3780 terminal simulator, they told me the building was full of them
... I can't remember how many I sold but it was enough to pay for the flight
& hotel plus make me plenty of money.

When I was there I showed them how to speed up their slow 1403 to full speed
by simply slipping a thin cut of paper to block the "slow down" signal. That
was funny.

Eddy