TNMoC IBM 1130 is up and running !

Stewart

Sep 24, 2011, 6:13:13 AM9/24/11
to IBM1130
Since it was last used about 30 years ago the system has been in
storage - uncared for and unloved...

This Friday 23rd September after much time and effort by volunteers at
TNMoC (The National Museum of Computing) the 1131 was finally powered
up. No major problems were encountered, which is testimony to how well
IBM designed and built the machine (it was built in Scotland :-))

The 1131 was soak tested for 2 hours, the PSU rails were measured, and
showed to be spot on.
Basic operations were checked - Run, SI and SS all seemed to work,
running something that is still in the core memory (don't know what).

"Hot smell" traced to stalled Console Printer motor. I think that the
clutch is seized as the motor should not be
trying to drive such a heavy mechanical load. That should be an easy
fix (famous last words)...

Cheers

Stewart Baker

1130 Lead TNMoC
.

Gmail

Sep 24, 2011, 9:22:28 AM9/24/11
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
That is cool!
==================

-> Since it was last used about 30 years ago the system has been in
-> storage - uncared for and unloved...
->
[...]
-> .

Jeff Jonas

Sep 24, 2011, 10:47:28 PM9/24/11
to IBM1130
> The 1131 was soak tested for 2 hours, the PSU rails were measured,
> and showed to be spot on.

YAY! That sounds like a major achievement to me!

> Basic operations were checked - Run, SI and SS all seemed to work,
> running something that is still in the core memory (don't know what).

I scanned a few IBM 1130 user group newsletters here

http://ferretronix.com/1130/newsletters/

This is from SOCAL Nov 1973:

Jim Chase sends in this method sometimes used by CEs
to clear core of parity errors.
It sets all of core to /D000 (STO *)

using card input:
card column 1: punch 12, 11
card column 2: punch 12, 11, 1
press reset, program load

using console entry switches
press reset, turn mode SW to LOAD
all CSW off, press LOAD IAR
CSW 0 and 1 on, press START
CSW 0 and 1 and 3 on, press START
all CSW off, press LOAD IAR
turn mode switch to RUN, press START

Dave

Sep 25, 2011, 5:53:45 AM9/25/11
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

Sounds really cool. I guess you could now run some simple diagnostics by
loadling core from the console.

> "Hot smell" traced to stalled Console Printer motor. I think that the
> clutch is seized as the motor should not be
> trying to drive such a heavy mechanical load. That should be an easy
> fix (famous last words)...

So long as it hasn't burnt out, but motors can be re-wound. I think the
tricky part is going to be getting the disk drive working. They had an
IBM1130 at Newcastle University when I was at the Poly. I used to go across
to the University as they had some Storage Scopes (not Tecktronics but of
that ilk) that I used to use for testing plotting programs. Any way on the
door of the 1130 room was a poem lamenting being moved from MTS on the
360/67 to the 1130 based on the Jonie Mitchell song which was popular at
the time called "Both Sides Now".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcrEqIpi6sg

One verse of the Newcastle poem went something along the lines of..

I read the disk from both sides now
In Drive 0 and in drive one
But still the data it won't come
Its MTS that I recall
That's the operating system for use all....

So I don't know if all 1130's had disk issues or just that one as it was for
student use. I don't think we actually used the disk on the 1130 at the
Poly. Just IPLd the HASP deck and away we went sending stuff the 360/67
running MTS.

> Cheers
>
> Stewart Baker
>
> 1130 Lead TNMoC
> .

Dave

P.S. I still have an non-working Apple Newton if you want one for
dissplay...

Peter Diehr

Sep 25, 2011, 6:02:27 AM9/25/11
to ibm...@googlegroups.com
We never had any trouble with the disk drives at Eastern Michigan University; we had two IBM 1130s, and I think seven disk drives between the pair.

Best Regards, Peter Diehr

Stewart

Sep 25, 2011, 6:36:14 AM9/25/11
to IBM1130
I love the poem/song Dave...must remember that.

Fortunately the motor has not burnt out. It just got rather hot. I
think that it has protection to stop that happening if for any reason
the mechanics decide to act like concrete. It probably needs a little
lubricant on the clutch to free it, not like the Coke Cola that I used
to free my kit car clutch :-)

I am quite looking forward to tackling the disk drive. In my CE career
I worked on quite a few type, RK05, Diablo, CDC etc both single and
multi platter. Unless we have some defective item of course. As the
unit will only read/write to itself setting up using an alignment pack
should be unnecessary.
Stewart

Dave

Sep 25, 2011, 8:34:18 AM9/25/11
to ibm...@googlegroups.com

In that case I think you are in good hands. Disk Drive alignment is one
skill I think we are going to have trouble with in future years. Most of the
other skills can be learnt in a non destructive way, but spinning disks are
tricky, and its so easy to wreck both the heads and the drive. I bet whilst
the machines have been kept the packs and heads are like hens teeth.

Bob Flanders

Jun 17, 2016, 2:32:23 PM6/17/16
to IBM1130
Hi ... I tried to send a message from my email to the one used for this message, but it bounced as spam. Can you send me a better address privately?

Thank you!
Bob Flanders

dey

Jun 17, 2016, 7:23:14 PM6/17/16