WSAD and WAS Port/bootstrap conflict for JNDI

Janice

Jan 22, 2004, 9:49:50 AM1/22/04
Hi All
I have a webservice running on WAS 5.0.2 on my machine which works
fine.
I am trying to run a Java standalone client in WSAD that will bind
Service objects to the JNDI on my WSAD 5.0 Test Environment server for
lookup later on in order to invoke my webservice.
My problem is that although I have set up the ORB bootstrap location
of my test env to be iiop:localhost:2810 and have set the provider_url
property also to iiop:localhost:2810 when getting the initilContext I
get the following error (both the WAS and Test Env servers are
running):

javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException: A communication failure
occurred while attempting to obtain an initial context using the
provider url: "iiop://localhost:2810". Make sure that the host and
port information is correct and that the server identified by the
provider url is a running name server. If no port number is
specified, the default port number 2809 is used. Other possible causes
include the network environment or workstation network configuration.
Root exception is org.omg.CORBA.TRANSIENT:
iiop://localhost:host=iiop://localhost,port=2229 minor code: 4942F303
completed: No
at com.ibm.CORBA.transport.TransportConnectionBase.connect(TransportConnectionBase.java:384)
at com.ibm.rmi.transport.TCPTransport.getConnection(TCPTransport.java:178)
at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.TransportManager.get(TransportManager.java:84)
at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.GIOPImpl.locate(GIOPImpl.java:177)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ClientDelegate._createRequest(ClientDelegate.java:2404)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ClientDelegate.createRequest(ClientDelegate.java:1276)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ClientDelegate.createRequest(ClientDelegate.java:1175)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ClientDelegate.request(ClientDelegate.java:1928)
at org.omg.CORBA.portable.ObjectImpl._request(ObjectImpl.java:245)
at com.ibm.WsnBootstrap._WsnNameServiceStub.getProperties(_WsnNameServiceStub.java:37)
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtxFactory.mergeWsnNSProperties(WsnInitCtxFactory.java:1090)
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtxFactory.getRootContextFromServer(WsnInitCtxFactory.java:676)
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtxFactory.getRootJndiContext(WsnInitCtxFactory.java:604)
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtxFactory.getInitialContextInternal(WsnInitCtxFactory.java:478)
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtx.getContext(WsnInitCtx.java:102)
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtx.getContextIfNull(WsnInitCtx.java:408)
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtx.getEnvironment(WsnInitCtx.java:380)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.getEnvironment(InitialContext.java:490)
at com.elsevier.elslon.common.oaf.eis.webservices.WSTestClient.main(WSTestClient.java:54)
javax.naming.NamingException
at com.elsevier.elslon.common.oaf.eis.webservices.WSTestClient.main(WSTestClient.java:72)
Exception in thread "P=725010:O=0:CT"

My gut feeling is that it is a server configuration problem: When I
use iiop://localhost in my program it works ok but binds to the WAS
JNDI instead.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Janice

Pratap Kode

Jan 23, 2004, 2:59:15 PM1/23/04
janice...@ukonline.co.uk (Janice) wrote in message news:<1667dd39.04012...@posting.google.com>...

There are 2 ways that I know of.

1) open up the server configuration -> Ports -> Orb Bootstrap Port: ->
2810

2) a) Enable the admin console during server startup.
Open Server configuration -> Configuration -> Check Enable admin
console.
b) start the server. Make sure no errors from server during startup.
c) hit http://localhost:9090/admin
d) Then navigate to Servers-> Application Servers > server1 > End
Points > BOOTSTAP_ADDRESS.
Change/Make sure port is 2810.
e) Apply/Save config.
f) restart server.

Also thinking about it, you will need to change all the ports (in WSAD
server) that conflict with WAS. Since all the default values are used
(i.e SOAP connector port -- 8880, HTTP transports 9080, 9090 etc) by
both WSAD and WAS. Here are some ways you could eliminate all port
conflicts

1) Change all the port numbers in WSAD on the Server configuration ->
Ports

2) create another server on WAS, install the application on that
server and not turn on the default server. (You can also create
another server in wsad).

3) change the ports on WAS using the UpdatePorts.bat script.

hth,
pratap.

Janice

Jan 26, 2004, 10:58:37 AM1/26/04
Dear Pratap
Thanks for the help but I'm still having problems...
1) I changed the bootstrap address via the WSAD server configuration
page and also via the admin console and saved the changes. The same
error was seen.
(I had already incremented the other port addresses as you mentioned
also).

I am going to try to create a new server as you suggested and see what
happens.
Janice