jsp:plugin values

bob_...@uk.ibm.com

Aug 30, 2005, 1:42:00 AM8/30/05
I want to run a visual applet within a portlet. The problem is: how to set up the jsp:plugin values correctly as I get either a 'broken link' message in RAD or the applet doesn't load in the browser.
The applet is coded and included in the portlet project and I've included the following code in the view.jsp
<jsp:plugin type="applet" height="47%" width="25%"
code="TeleKeypad.class" codebase="/WebContent/WEB-INF/classes/com/myUtils/"
nspluginurl="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3/jinstall-131-win32.cab">
<jsp:fallback>The plugin failed to load in your browser</jsp:fallback>
</jsp:plugin>

From the console messages I've seen and searching through Google it seems that the TeleKeypad class cannot be found. This would suggest that the uri in the codebase param is incorrect. If thats the case then what should I put in there?

The TeleKeypad class is located in the:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\IBM\rationalsdp6.0\workspace2\softphone\WebContent\WEB-INF\classes\com\myUtils directory
and the jsp is running from the:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\IBM\rationalsdp6.0\workspace2\softphone\WebContent\softphone\jsp\html directory.

I'm at a loss to know what values to use. Has anyone ever included the jsp:plugin tag into a portlet AND got it working? If so, what values did you use.

bob_...@uk.ibm.com

Aug 30, 2005, 9:56:37 AM8/30/05
I tried to use the applet tag instead of the jsp:plugin tag. This time I let the tool insert the relative paths it needed.
For the codebase it used: codebase="../../classes/" and for the class it used: code="com.myUtils.TeleKeypad.class".
Unfortunately the result was the same. The Java console shows:
Exception in thread "thread applet-com.myUtils.TeleKeypad.class" java.lang.NullPointerException
at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.showLoadingError(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.showAppletException(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Looking through the portal log I found the following error message which gets written after a build.
[30/08/05 08:52:04:937 CDT] 7eb22a6d PortalServer E com.ibm.wps.engine.Servlet handleException TRAS0014I: The following exception was logged java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URL invalid: "classes" is not a valid portlet state!

Does anyone know what this message refers too?