2nd Post - Install problem: Failed to deploy admin portlets

a.cola...@quattroemme.it

Jun 26, 2003, 12:52:55 PM6/26/03
I'm new in websphere.
I'm triyng to install WSP 4.2.1

I have on the same machine DB2 7 FP8, WAS4 FP5 and IBM http server.
I have also another machine with Domino 5.0.10 and LDPA enabled
There was no problem until the WSP installation.

Using the LDAPDEBUG=7 in notes.ini I can see that it seems to be all
ok.
If I try to search user via LDAP in the websphere security center I
receive all the information.

When I launch the installation, at 80%, I receive this error.
There is no way to continue..

Can anyone help me ??

ERROR MESSAGE IN LOG
==============================
6.56 (1) WPS.deployBasePortlets<WPS.if@2825:>
Unable to deploy portlets
An error occurred while attempting to deploy admin portlets.
java.lang.Exception Failed to deploy admin portlets
java.lang.Exception: Failed to deploy admin portlets
at
com.ibm.pvc.we.care.install.installables.wps.WPS.installImpl(WPS.java:2840)
at com.ibm.pvc.we.care.install.Installer.install(Installer.java:679)
at com.ibm.pvc.we.care.install.Installer.install(Installer.java:455)
at install.go(install.java:184)
at install.main(install.java:89)

6.56 (2) Installer.ComponentFailure<Installer.if@0664:>
A component failed to install/uninstall
Check the component's log, correct the problem, and retry the install
Portal Server
===========================
END ERROR MESSAGE

In the file installImpl_xx.stdErr.log where xx in a progressive number
there is also this message:

'JAVA_EXECUTABLE@@' is not recognized as an internal or external
command,
operable program or batch file.

Any suggestion ?

Bye
Andrea

Dexthor

Jun 26, 2003, 3:31:03 PM6/26/03
Continue to look in the install log file and you will see where it broke.
Also, look at $WPS_ROOT/install/log files for more clues. Most likely the
problem can be an invalid ID/Password or a typo in the installation.

Remember to remove all packages related to WPS before trying to reinstall.

HTH
Dexthor.
<a.cola...@quattroemme.it> wrote in message

L D Jones

Jun 26, 2003, 6:49:04 PM6/26/03

Check install.log in the portal directory. If you have strings with @@
at the end or beginning or both the install failed in some way.
install.log should show all the files that the variables were replaced
in. There may be so many to change that a reinstall could be the fastest
way around the problem. I think this can happen if a setup manager
install is done and the 'retry' button is pressed when there has been
some error during the portal install

D Hay

Jun 27, 2003, 1:31:58 AM6/27/03
One of my colleagues saw the same problem on Wednesday. We also came to the
same conclusion re the 'Retry' button and variable replacement. Therefore,
he performed a complete uninstall/cleanup and then reinstalled without
problems.

He believes that there might have been a problem with the user/LDAP
information that he entered during the Setup Manager phase.

For what its worth, I always save the script file that SUM creates - this
can be useful to (a) see where I went wrong and (b) reinstall.

There is documentation in the InfoCenter that covers the uninstall process.
For example, see: -

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pvc/wp/42/ena/en/InfoCenter/wpf/inst_uni.html

for the Enable edition.

Regards

Dave Hay

"L D Jones" <73313...@yahoo.org> wrote in message

Dexthor

Jun 27, 2003, 10:53:14 AM6/27/03
If you see @@ in the .sh or .bat files in the place of valid values, then
you are guaranteed that Setup failed to complete the installation process
successfully, during which it substitutes @@ variables with valid values.
Install logs provide useful information on possibly why this happened. Even
if you try hard and get it up and running, future problems that can happen
in WPS are unpredictable. Just imagine, xmlaccess failing when you need it
the most !

Best thing is to clean reinstall and before that get all the mistakes that
happened during the broken installation from the logs. Follow WPS
installation steps from Planning, Prereqs, setup and all... carefully paying
attention to each detail.

I did about 25 WPS installations and trust me, it will take (few attemts ) a
while if you are not using all IBM components in your situation to get a
straight successful install.

HTH
Dexthor.

"L D Jones" <73313...@yahoo.org> wrote in message

a.cola...@quattroemme.it

Jun 30, 2003, 3:49:11 AM6/30/03
Thanks for all your responses.

I'm trying to uninstall, but If I launch the uninstall.bat I got this
message:

' JAVA_EXECUTABLE@@' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Can I uninstall manually the portal server ?

Thanks
Andrea

Dexthor

Jun 30, 2003, 6:22:49 PM6/30/03
You can always Package remove at the O/S level.

WPS uninstall scripts may not function.

There is a tech article on IBM support site on what to do before you
reinstall WPS.

HTH
Dexthor.
<a.cola...@quattroemme.it> wrote in message

Radoslav Didic

Jul 3, 2003, 3:31:40 AM7/3/03
Base portlets deployment has a problem if you leave a blank in DN
entered in AdminRole for WAS.

There is a problem when you search LDAP (our case it was IDS 4.1) with *
you receive users from LDAP with strange blank in front of domain part.
When you put user with blank he can't be autheticated. Our solution was
to search LDAP with full DN (both user and group), then you receive
correct full DN and then rest of installation runs smoothly.

If you look carefully in documentation in each AdminRole gui screen you
will see this blank. How did it work for them ??