orb.properties (WAS 5.1 on Solaris 8)

1 view

wim

Jul 28, 2006, 10:16:52 AM7/28/06
Dear Group,

while upgrading WAS 5.0 to WAS 5.1 on a Solaris 8 server, the following
error is written in the logfile:

(Jul 27, 2006 12:49:55 PM), Setup.product.install,
com.installshield.wizardx.ascii.ModifyFile, err, Could not write ASCII
file /opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/lib/orb.properties.

As far as I have found in the documentation, I have followed the
procedure:
1. uninstall of WAS 5.0 (by
running /opt/WebSphere/AppServer/_uninst/uninstall -console)
2. remove the /opt/WebSphere directory
3. upload the contents of the CD-ROM "Application
Server and IBM HTTP Server (Solaris)"
4. "umask 022" as root
5. make a responsefile for silent installation
6. ./install -options myresponsefile

I receive no error, but only a log- and a _uninst-directory are created
in /opt/WebSphere/AppServer/ .

Inside that logfile (log.txt), I find the following:
[...]
(Jul 27, 2006 12:47:12 PM), Setup.product.install,
com.ibm.ws.install.actions.DetectBase50, err, null
[...]
(Jul 27, 2006 12:49:55 PM), Setup.product.install,
com.installshield.wizardx.ascii.ModifyFile, err, Could not write ASCII
file /opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/lib/orb.properties.
(Jul 27, 2006 12:49:55 PM), Setup.product.install,
com.installshield.wizardx.actions.AsciiFileUpdateWizardAction, err,
WizardException: (error code = 200;
message="/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/lib/orb.properties (No such
file or directory)"; exception = [ServiceException: (error code = 200;
message = "/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/lib/orb.properties (No
such file or directory)"; severity = 0; exception =
[java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/lib/orb.properties (No such file or
directory)])])
STACK_TRACE: 7
WizardException: (error code = 200;
message="/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/lib/orb.properties (No such
file or directory)"; exception = [ServiceException: (error code = 200;
message = "/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/lib/orb.properties (No
such file or directory)"; severity = 0; exception =
[java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/lib/orb.properties (No such file or
directory)])])
at
com.installshield.wizardx.ascii.ModifyFile.writeFile(ModifyFile.java:280)
at
com.installshield.wizardx.actions.AsciiFileUpdateWizardAction.execute(AsciiFileUpdateWizardAction.java:171)
at
com.installshield.wizard.StandardWizardListener.execute(StandardWizardListener.java:123)
at
com.installshield.wizard.StandardWizardListener.currentBeanChanged(StandardWizardListener.java:106)
at com.installshield.wizard.Wizard$RunThread.run(Wizard.java:1552)

(Jul 27, 2006 12:49:55 PM), Setup.product.install,
com.ibm.ws.install.actions.ExecWizardActionFromDirectory, msg1,
Executing Command:chmod 755 /tmp/ihsResponseFile
[...]
(Jul 27, 2006 12:51:26 PM), Setup.product.install,
com.ibm.ws.install.actions.ExecWizardActionFromDirectory, err,
INST0009E: Could not execute command (generic error). Stack Trace
follows.
(Jul 27, 2006 12:51:26 PM), Setup.product.install,
com.ibm.ws.install.actions.ExecWizardActionFromDirectory, err,
java.io.IOException: /opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/bin/java: not found
STACK_TRACE: 9
java.io.IOException: /opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/bin/java: not found
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.forkAndExec(Native Method)
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:56)
at java.lang.Runtime.execInternal(Native Method)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:566)
at
com.ibm.ws.install.actions.ExecWizardActionFromDirectory.executeProcess(ExecWizardActionFromDirectory.java:258)
at
com.ibm.ws.install.actions.ExecWizardActionFromDirectory.execute(ExecWizardActionFromDirectory.java:404)
at
com.installshield.wizard.RunnableWizardBeanContext.run(RunnableWizardBeanContext.java:21)
[...]

and so on. I tried to post only the messages that look important. If
needed, I can post the full logfile and the responsefile used for the
installation (although I believe the responsfile is okay).

I have been looking in the IBM-documentation, but don't see a flaw.
Might somebody point out what I have overlooked? When I browsed the
web, I only found some people who had a similar problem, but no
solution was posted. (like
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=186888)

At IBM, I found the following:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1PQ88618 , but that is
for a Windows architecture and apparently irrelevant.

If somebody might give me a hint or a link for good documentation, I
would be very grateful. When the problem is solved, I will post a
summary of the solution.

Many kind greetings,

Wim

wim

Aug 3, 2006, 4:34:32 AM8/3/06
Dear Group,

wim wrote:

> Dear Group,
>
> while upgrading WAS 5.0 to WAS 5.1 on a Solaris 8 server, the following
> error is written in the logfile:
>
> (Jul 27, 2006 12:49:55 PM), Setup.product.install,
> com.installshield.wizardx.ascii.ModifyFile, err, Could not write ASCII
> file /opt/WebSphere/AppServer/java/jre/lib/orb.properties.

[...]

This error was caused by an erroneous uninstall of the previous WAS
version.

Many WebSphere-packages where still left in the system. You can check
this by issueing the following command:

solaris2$ pkginfo | grep WS

After an uninstall, all these packages should have been removed in my
case, except maybe the IBMHttpServer plugin.

After removing these packages (pkgrm ...), installation continued
normal.

Documentation about 'manually uninstalling WebSphere 5 on Solaris' can
be found at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v5r0//index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.websphere.nd.doc/info/ae/ae/tins_uninstallSolaris.html

Thanks for everybody who has been helping. If there are no further
questions or remarks, I consider this thread closed.

Kind greetings,

Wim