Problem integrating Eclipse and WAS 6.0

random...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2006, 2:34:48 AM4/3/06
Hi.

I just downloaded a trial version of WebSphere Application Server 6.0 to try out integrated development with Eclipse.

I'm using Eclipse 3.1.2 with Web Tools Platform (WTP) plugin 1.0 and trying to connect to WAS 6.0. I can define a new Server Runtime but I can't start the server from Eclipse. It aborts without any error message on the Eclipse console, but when I check the Server logs (SystemOut and SystemErr files), I can see the following exception:

[4/3/06 11:57:12:562 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R org.xml.sax.SAXNotRecognizedException: Feature: http://apache.org/xml/features/nonvalidating/load-external-dtd
at org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.setFeature(XMLReaderImpl.java:219)
at com.ibm.ws.management.descriptor.MBeanDescriptorLoader.loadDescriptor(MBeanDescriptorLoader.java:148)
at com.ibm.ws.management.descriptor.MBeanDescriptorManager.loadDescriptorFile(MBeanDescriptorManager.java:319)
at com.ibm.ws.management.descriptor.MBeanDescriptorManager.getDescriptor(MBeanDescriptorManager.java:133)
at com.ibm.ws.management.MBeanFactoryImpl.activateMBean(MBeanFactoryImpl.java:375)
at com.ibm.ws.management.MBeanFactoryImpl.activateMBean(MBeanFactoryImpl.java:348)
at com.ibm.ws.management.component.AdminImpl.initialize(AdminImpl.java:350)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ContainerImpl.initializeComponent(ContainerImpl.java:1161)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ContainerImpl.initializeComponents(ContainerImpl.java:1015)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ServerImpl.initialize(ServerImpl.java:245)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServerImpl.bootServerContainer(WsServerImpl.java:157)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServerImpl.start(WsServerImpl.java:120)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServerImpl.main(WsServerImpl.java:378)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServer.main(WsServer.java:50)
at com.ibm.ws.bootstrap.WSLauncher.main(WSLauncher.java:190)

[4/3/06 11:57:12:562 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.setFeature(XMLReaderImpl.java:219)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.management.descriptor.MBeanDescriptorLoader.loadDescriptor(MBeanDescriptorLoader.java:148)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.management.descriptor.MBeanDescriptorManager.loadDescriptorFile(MBeanDescriptorManager.java:319)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.management.descriptor.MBeanDescriptorManager.getDescriptor(MBeanDescriptorManager.java:133)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.management.MBeanFactoryImpl.activateMBean(MBeanFactoryImpl.java:375)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.management.MBeanFactoryImpl.activateMBean(MBeanFactoryImpl.java:348)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.management.component.AdminImpl.initialize(AdminImpl.java:350)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ContainerImpl.initializeComponent(ContainerImpl.java:1161)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ContainerImpl.initializeComponents(ContainerImpl.java:1015)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ServerImpl.initialize(ServerImpl.java:245)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServerImpl.bootServerContainer(WsServerImpl.java:157)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServerImpl.start(WsServerImpl.java:120)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServerImpl.main(WsServerImpl.java:378)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServer.main(WsServer.java:50)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:578 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R at com.ibm.ws.bootstrap.WSLauncher.main(WSLauncher.java:190)
[4/3/06 11:57:12:609 GMT+05:30] 0000000a SystemErr R com.ibm.ws.exception.ConfigurationError: Problem initializing AdminImpl:
at com.ibm.ws.management.component.AdminImpl.initialize(AdminImpl.java:697)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ContainerImpl.initializeComponent(ContainerImpl.java:1161)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ContainerImpl.initializeComponents(ContainerImpl.java:1015)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ServerImpl.initialize(ServerImpl.java:245)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServerImpl.bootServerContainer(WsServerImpl.java:157)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServerImpl.start(WsServerImpl.java:120)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServerImpl.main(WsServerImpl.java:378)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.WsServer.main(WsServer.java:50)
at com.ibm.ws.bootstrap.WSLauncher.main(WSLauncher.java:190)
Caused by: com.ibm.ws.exception.ConfigurationWarning: Problem registering JVM MBean.
at com.ibm.ws.management.component.AdminImpl.initialize(AdminImpl.java:361)
... 12 more
Caused by: com.ibm.websphere.management.exception.AdminException: ADMN0005E: The service is unable to activate MBean: type JVM, collaborator com.ibm.ws.management.component.JVMMBean@1bcfbeb, configuration ID JVM, descriptor null.
at com.ibm.ws.management.MBeanFactoryImpl.activateMBean(MBeanFactoryImpl.java:600)
at com.ibm.ws.management.MBeanFactoryImpl.activateMBean(MBeanFactoryImpl.java:348)
at com.ibm.ws.management.component.AdminImpl.initialize(AdminImpl.java:350)
... 12 more
Caused by: com.ibm.websphere.management.exception.DescriptorParseException: ADMN0001W: The service is unable to parse the MBean descriptor file com/ibm/ws/management/descriptor/xml/JVM.xml.
at com.ibm.ws.management.descriptor.MBeanDescriptorLoader.loadDescriptor(MBeanDescriptorLoader.java:164)
at com.ibm.ws.management.descriptor.MBeanDescriptorManager.loadDescriptorFile(MBeanDescriptorManager.java:319)
at com.ibm.ws.management.descriptor.MBeanDescriptorManager.getDescriptor(MBeanDescriptorManager.java:133)
at com.ibm.ws.management.MBeanFactoryImpl.activateMBean(MBeanFactoryImpl.java:375)
... 14 more

Probably the problem is that some file called JVM.xml doesn't confirm to strict syntax. I tried searching the installation directory of WAS, even looking inside JARs and ZIPs but couldn't find any file called JVM.xml. I tried reinstalling WAS, also tried on another machine, but got the same error.

I've no idea how to resolve the issue. I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

-Parag

Juanma Martinez

Apr 3, 2006, 4:52:00 AM4/3/06
In article <289423470.1144046140...@ltsgwas007.sby.ibm.com>, random...@gmail.com says...

> I've no idea how to resolve the issue. I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Try using a supported environment, like Rational Application Developer (you can also
download a trial version).
--

Juanma Martínez

random...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2006, 6:21:24 AM4/3/06
:D That's an easy but costly suggestion. Convincing the client to buy WAS was hard enough... RAD is way out of reach... I need to somehow do it on Eclipse.

-Parag

random...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2006, 1:43:00 AM4/4/06
And if it makes any difference, I'd better add that initially the error was different... When I tried to start WebSphere from Eclipse, it aborted saying some JAR file in the WebSphere installation directory could not be found. I discovered that the problem was because the installation directory had a space character in it (Program Files). When I reinstalled WAS in another directory that didn't have a space in it, that error was solved, but since then I am having the startup problems as explained in my previous post.

-Parag

sab...@connectmed.com.br

Apr 13, 2006, 3:18:13 PM4/13/06

I had the same problem and solved using the IBM JVM that was installed by WebSphere.

Att.
Sabino

random...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2006, 1:10:47 PM4/16/06
Yup I did that and it worked! It's weird! Thanks.

-Parag

liviu...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2006, 3:46:01 AM10/13/06
I had the same problem, so I have selected the right JVM...BUT, now in the view Server I only see the status: Starting ... and nothing more...anyone can help please?
Thanks