Beginner's Question relating WebSphere Advanced Single Server Version 4.0

Dang Quang Minh

Sep 12, 2001, 7:32:16 AM9/12/01
Hi all,

I have a problem when I try to deploy a simple application containing a single servlet. This servlet uses some other utility classes.
When I invoke this servlet from the client browser, the following error message comes out in the server log file:

[01.09.07 13:33:42:060 GMT+01:00] 215d1ca5 WebGroup
X SRVE0026E: [Servlet-Fehler]-[LoginServlet]: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
com/wiley/compBooks/EJwithUML/TimecardServlets/LoginServlet
(wrong name: com/wiley/compBooks/EJwithUML/TimeCardServlets/LoginServlet)

 at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
 at com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader.findClass(CompoundClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
 at com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader.findClass(CompoundClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
 at com.ibm.ws.classloader.ClassLoaderGroup.findClass(ClassLoaderGroup.java(Compiled Code))
 at com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader.findClass(CompoundClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
 at com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader.loadClass(CompoundClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
 at com.ibm.ws.classloader.ReloadableClassLoader.loadClass(ReloadableClassLoader.java:66)
 at java.beans.Beans.instantiate(Beans.java:196)
 at java.beans.Beans.instantiate(Beans.java:57)
 at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppServletManager.loadServlet(WebAppServletManager.java:148)
 at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppServletManager.getServletReference(WebAppServletManager.java:287)
 at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebApp.getServletReference(WebApp.java:354)

The XML descriptor file has the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <!DOCTYPE web-app (View Source for full doctype...)>
- <web-app id="WebApp_ID">
  <display-name>LoginServletwithUML</display-name>
  <description>Sample from the book UML</description>
- <servlet id="Servlet_1">
  <servlet-name>LoginServlet</servlet-name>
  <display-name>Login Servlet with UML Book</display-name>
  <servlet-class>com.wiley.compBooks.EJwithUML.TimecardServlets.LoginServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
- <servlet-mapping id="ServletMapping_1">
  <servlet-name>LoginServlet</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>LoginServletwithUML</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  </web-app>

I wonder why this error (loading class file) can happen, since I can yet see all the class files with the exact fully qualified package names are present in the .war web module file ???

I also have another small question, as it seems to me that I cannot specify the file name for a newly created web module, WebSphere will always fix this name already???

Many thanks in advance,

Dang Quang Minh

Ken Hygh

Sep 12, 2001, 7:22:32 AM9/12/01
The error message is extremely accurate in describing your problem.
TimecardServlets != TimeCardServlets. Java is case sensitive.

Ken

Dang Quang Minh

Sep 12, 2001, 10:31:02 AM9/12/01
Thank you very much. That is the reason! Actually, this is an error of the
book example so I am not able to find out.
Once again many thanks to you.

"Ken Hygh" <ken...@nc.rr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag