Problem with WAS 3.5 AE on AIX Install

Ray Wilmoth

Dec 27, 2000, 9:50:20 AM12/27/00
We're installing WebSphere Advanced Edition 3.5 on AIX. When I start the
install using ./install.sh I get the following warnings,

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface
system-medium-r-normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontSet
Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface
user-medium-r-normal-m*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontSet

The install GUI comes up and I select Custom install but when I get to the
Choose Application Server Components window it is empty. Actually, I just
can't see the options. If I click randomly over the area where the otions
should be I get the description down at the bottom.

When I look at my console I am getting the following messages,

Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Raster IntegerInterleavedRaster: width =
11 height = 11 #Bands = 3 #DataElements 1 xOff = 0 yOff = 0 dataOffset[0] 0
is incompatible with ColorModel DirectColorModel: rmask=ff gmask=ff00
bmask=ff0000 amask=0
at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(BufferedImage.java:531)
at sun.awt.image.OffScreenImage.<init>(OffScreenImage.java:73)
at sun.awt.motif.MComponentPeer.createImage(MComponentPeer.java:317)
at java.awt.Component.createImage(Component.java:2104)
at Checklist.getCheckedImage(Checklist.java:105)
at Checklist.initializeCheckBoxes(Checklist.java:92)
at Checklist.paint(Checklist.java:753)
at java.awt.Container.update(Container.java:803)
at sun.awt.motif.MComponentPeer.handleEvent(MComponentPeer.java:279)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:2456)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1040)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEvent(EventDispatchThread.java:103)
at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:94)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:85)

I am not sure what is causing this problem.

Thanks,

Ray

Christer Palm

Dec 27, 2000, 11:16:50 AM12/27/00
Ray,
I've seen this problem when I've tried to run the installation program
remotely to an X server which only provides a 16-bpp TrueColor visual.
Looks like the installation program cannot handle this for some weird
reason...
Once installed, the admin client ran fine against the same X server.

Try the xdpyinfo command to see what visuals are available on your X
server and also which one is the default.

Ray Wilmoth wrote:

> We're installing WebSphere Advanced Edition 3.5 on AIX. When I start the
> install using ./install.sh I get the following warnings,

[...]

palm.vcf

Ray Wilmoth

Dec 27, 2000, 2:30:23 PM12/27/00
Chris,

Thanks for the information. I went to the Control Workstation for this node
and the installation worked. I am now trying to get the adminclient up and
I am getting,

incompatible with ColorModel DirectColorModel: rmask=ff gmask=ff00
bmask=ff0000 amask=0

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Raster IntegerInterleavedRaster: width =

64 height = 64 #Bands = 3 #DataElements 1 xOff = 0 yOff = 0 dataOffset[0] 0

is incompatible with ColorModel DirectColorModel: rmask=ff gmask=ff00
bmask=ff0000 amask=0
at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(BufferedImage.java:531)
at sun.awt.image.OffScreenImage.<init>(OffScreenImage.java:73)
at sun.awt.motif.MComponentPeer.createImage(MComponentPeer.java:317)
at java.awt.Component.createImage(Component.java:2104)

at javax.swing.plaf.metal.BumpBuffer.<init>(MetalBumps.java:154)
at
javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalBumps.createBuffer(MetalBumps.java:67)
at
javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalBumps.setBumpColors(MetalBumps.java:102)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalBumps.<init>(MetalBumps.java:59)
at
javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalBorders$ToolBarBorder.<init>(MetalBorders.java:2
83)
at
javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel.initComponentDefaults(MetalLookAndFe
el.java:378)
at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicLookAndFeel.getDefaults(BasicLookAndFeel.java:67
)
at
javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel.getDefaults(MetalLookAndFeel.java:71
6)
at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:365)
at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:392)
at com.ibm.ejs.sm.client.ui.EJSConsole.main(EJSConsole.java:1200)

I don't know much about this Xserver. I am using X OnNet. How do I issue
the xdpyinfo command you mentioned? By visuals do you mean fonts?

Thanks,

Ray

Christer Palm" <pa...@nogui.se> wrote in message

Christer Palm

Dec 27, 2000, 5:48:10 PM12/27/00
Hi Ray
Good to hear the install went through.
To run xdpyinfo you just open up an xterm (or aixterm or dtterm), type
in "xdpyinfo", and hit enter. It will query the X server for information
about its capabilities.

A visual, in X terminology, describes the format of bitmapped images. It
is a collection of parameters like the number of bitplanes, the
methodology used to represent colors (Static, Pseudo, True or Direct),
the number of color lookup-table entries, etc... I.e. it has nothing to
do with fonts.

All X servers provides a "default" visual, which usually corresponds to
the optimal hardware characteristics of the display adapter. Some X
servers provide several visuals which means that it can accept bitmaps
in several different formats - usually through conversion in the X
server.

Normally, the client just asks the X server about it's default visual
and then uses that format for sending bitmaps to the server. However, if
several visuals are available, the client can ask the X server to accept
bitmaps in an alternate format by selecting another visual than the
default.

Obviously, the X client code in the WAS tools (I guess they use the
standard Java SWING library) fails to agree on a visual that the both
support. The reason for this could be:

1) The client just looks at the default visual and decides it doesn't
like it.
2) The client actually looks at all the available visuals, but doesn't
find any that it likes.

Either way, the client is IMHO broken! The client should just adhere to
default visual unless it really requires any specific capabilities to do
what it's supposed to do. If that is the case, it should examine any
other visuals provided by the server and try to find a suitable visual
among those. Only when that fails should the client refuse to run.

The WAS tools are simple GUI's and should not put any special
requirements on the X server, other than maybe the ability to represent
a reasonable number of different colors.

Fortunately, given that 1) above is the case, there may be a workaround.
When starting the X server, you can usually select which one of the
supported visuals that should be the "default".
I am not familiar with X OnNet, so you will be on your own there, but
look for "default visual" in its configuration.

palm.vcf