MANIFEST Invalid Errors moving an Application from WAS5 to WAS7

ConfusedInManchester

Nov 24, 2009, 5:56:00 AM11/24/09
Hi All,

I'm trying to deploy an application that has been running happily for quite sometime on WAS5 to WAS7. I've been assured that this shouldn't be a problem (if only!). Can anyone help me or point me in the direction of some info on how the MANIFEST files have changed between WAS5 (java 1.4.2) and WAS7 (1.6). See below for more info.. Thanks.

The deployment seems fine but I see the below error when starting the application;

[23/11/09 14:18:02:135 GMT] 00000015 ModuleManifes E UTLS0001E: Unable to parse the MANIFEST.MF file from application module Business.jar.

There is also an FFDC incident file raised for this with the below info.

[23/11/09 14:18:02:076 GMT] FFDC Exception:java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException SourceId:com.ibm.ws.runtime.ModuleManifestParser.getInstalledOptionalPacka
geMetaData ProbeId:100 Reporter:java.lang.Class@1b2e1b2e
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.InstalledOptionalPackageDependencyResolver.getResolutionDependencyPolicy(InstalledOptionalPackageDependencyResolver.java:63)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.ModuleManifestParser.getInstalledOptionalPackageMetaData(ModuleManifestParser.java:105)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.LibraryMgrImpl.processInstalledOptionalPackages(LibraryMgrImpl.java:260)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.start(DeployedModuleImpl.java:560)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.start(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:938)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.startApplication(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:723)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.start(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:2068)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl.start(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:437)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitImpl.start(CompositionUnitImpl.java:122)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl.start(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:380)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl.access$300(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:108)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.CompositionUnitMgrImpl$CUInitializer.run(CompositionUnitMgrImpl.java:935)
at com.ibm.wsspi.runtime.component.WsComponentImpl$_AsynchInitializer.run(WsComponentImpl.java:349)
at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1550)

Akash Bharti

Nov 24, 2009, 7:50:49 AM11/24/09
Can you paste your current MANIFEST.MF file content.

Thanks
Akash

ConfusedInManchester

Nov 24, 2009, 8:06:10 AM11/24/09
Here's the Manifest.mf it complains about first...

--------------------------------
Manifest-Version: 1.0
BusinessService-Extension-Name: BusinessService
Built-By: builder
jmxremote-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/jmxremote/jars/jmxremote-1.0.jar
commons-logging-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-logging/jars/commons-logging-1.0.2.jar
Implementation-Vendor-Id:
jmxremote_optional-Extension-Name: jmxremote_optional
log4j-Extension-Name: log4j
log4j-Implementation-Version: 1.2.6
Build-Jdk: 1.4.2
ReferenceDataService-Implementation-Version:
log4j-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/log4j/jars/log4j-1.2.6.jar
BusinessService-Implementation-Version:
jmxremote_optional-Implementation-Version: 1.0
BusinessProcess-Implementation-Version:
commons-logging-Implementation-Version: 1.0.2
ReferenceDataService-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/ReferenceDataService/jars/ReferenceDataService.jar
Specification-Vendor: My Company
j2ee-Extension-Name: j2ee
BusinessProcess-Extension-Name: BusinessProcess
Extension-Name: BusinessProcessFramework
Implementation-Version: 1.0
Implementation-Vendor: My Company
Specification-Title: Business Processes
Created-By: Apache Ant 1.5.1
BusinessProcess-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/BusinessProcess/jars/BusinessProcess.jar
Framework-Extension-Name: Framework
Extension-List: j2ee,commons-logging,Framework,BusinessProcess,BusinessService,ReferenceDataService,jmxremote,jmxremote_optional,log4j
BusinessService-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/BusinessService/jars/BusinessService.jar
Specification-Version:
j2ee-Implementation-Version: was51
ReferenceDataService-Extension-Name: ReferenceDataService
Class-Path: commons-logging-1.0.2.jar Framework.jar BusinessProcess.jar BusinessService.jar ReferenceDataService.jar jmxremote-1.0.jar jmxremote_optional-1.
0.jar log4j-1.2.6.jar
commons-logging-Extension-Name: commons-logging
Framework-Implementation-Version:
jmxremote-Extension-Name: jmxremote
jmxremote-Implementation-Version: 1.0
Framework-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/Framework/jars/Framework.jar
j2ee-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/j2ee/jars/j2ee-was51.jar
Package: uk.co.mycompany.businessprocess
jmxremote_optional-Implementation-URL: http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/jmxremote_optional/jars/jmxremote_optional-1.0.jar

Please note I've also tried replacing the 'was51' above with 'was7' but with no luck!. Thanks

Davanum Srinivas

Nov 24, 2009, 9:38:40 AM11/24/09

1) Does your application work? If it does then it may be a harmless exception that may have been logged.

2) If you want to diagnose which manifest entry caused this using trial/error...you may want to delete a whole bunch of them and start adding a few at a time to figure out which exact entry caused the issue.

3) If your application does not work and you cant figure out using #2 and this is affecting your business, then please contact IBM support.

thanks,
dims