Page Cannot be Displayed

Sharavanan

Jan 30, 2002, 3:22:43 AM1/30/02
Hai all !

We have developed an enterprise online application for eBusiness
covering Sales, Order Fulfillment etc. We are using Windows NT 4.0
Service Pack 6, IBM Websphere 3.02, Oracle 8.0.5. We are using JSP,
Beans and Servlets to capture, display data and perform business
transactions. We have applied the following patches and fixes to IBM
Websphere:
Pq34830.jar
Pq36034.jar
PQ37401_302.jar
pq41070.jar
pq42244.jar
pq42525.jar
IBM Fixpack 4

Currently, we are in the final load testing stage (using 8 concurrent
users) using IE 5.0/5.5 and we are facing the following problem:
While the Users are in various stages of preparing the Order, we are
getting “Page Cannot be displayed” Error approximately after 3 minutes
and for some Users, the request is being processed (concluding this by
the status bar). 1 or 2 Users are able to complete the transaction (like
preparing the Order) successfully. We are getting these errors at
various screens in our application and also after various time period
after we started the Application Server.

During this process (before or after we get this Error) we observed that
no activity is taking place on the server (the CPU usage is between 5 to
10 %). Some times, if we close the Browser and access our application,
and few more Users can complete the transaction successfully. Also, our
Application is tested thoroughly and working well in Single user mode,
so there are no obvious bugs in the Code. We suspect there is some
problem when we increase the load to 8 users and initiate the
transaction at the same time.

Can anybody help us?

David Artus

Jan 30, 2002, 7:54:12 AM1/30/02
You're in a tough situation I'm afraid. Firstly you're using an out
of date version of WebSphere so getting formal support is going
to be tricky.

Second, your assumption that testing with a single user gives
any indication of correct multi-user behaviour is over
optimistic. Any contention for resources (e.g. synch points
in your code ordatabase locks) could give problems and they
would not show up until you've tested with several users.

To figure out what's happening you will need to turn on
some trace (if you instrumented your own code then you'll
get the benefit now). As to *what* trace: that's a matter
deduction and experiment.

You may find the performance tuning redbook useful in
giving some ideas as to what to analyse.

S.Sharavanan

Feb 1, 2002, 3:51:59 AM2/1/02
to David Artus, Ramkumar Perumal, girij...@matsystems.com, ma...@matsystems.com, munu...@matsystems.com, rpr...@matsystems.com
Dear Mr. Artus:

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding Concurrent Multi-User testing, We were certainly expecting
Oracle Lock related issues and Java level Code Sync Issues and resolved
all of it. Also, we have written our own Application Log and User
Log files to monitor flow of the program execution. We found that,
when we get 'Page Cannot be Displayed', the program execution has
stopped at various points and the point where the execution has
stopped is very random. There is no pattern of where the Program has
stopped to execute, before it threw 'Page Cannot be Displayed' error.
We have checked Oracle Locks consistently and found no Tables are
getting locked in Exclusive mode raising any resource contention etc.

We have tested for various scenarios for over 2 weeks and we do not
think there is nothing wrong in the Code. May be, some configuration
issues? There are few things I am suspecting:

1. We have two Servlet Engines for this application (one is a normal
site and other is an SSL enabled site). The 'Page Cannot be Displayed'
error is occuring in the SSL enabled site very frequently. This site
also does the 'Prepare Order' which is more process intensive, than
the other site, which lets the Customer, browse catalog and add products
to the Shopping Cart. Can there be any issues here in the SSL site?

2. Do you know if Websphere has been tested successfully with
applications that are process intensive in concurrent multi-user mode?

3. I have listed some errors I We are getting in our "trace.log.ibmhttp" file.

Fri Feb 01 08:20:49 2002 - Warning - load_properties : Couldn't find property
file d:/WEBSPH~1/APPSER~1/temp\rules.propertiesFri Feb 01 08:20:49 2002 -
Warning - Value mismatch between the thread-safe flag of the webserver plugin
and the ose.single.thread propertyFri Feb 01 08:32:36 2002 - Error - ERROR: In
do_service_time_request, enter_callback_mode failedFri Feb 01 08:32:36 2002 -
Error - Error passing service/run request ... error 1 on clone 0
Fri Feb 01 08:32:36 2002 - Error - router_service : Failed 1
Fri Feb 01 08:33:15 2002 - Error - ERROR: In do_service_time_request,
enter_callback_mode failedFri Feb 01 08:33:15 2002 - Error - Error passing
service/run request ... error 1 on clone 0
Fri Feb 01 08:33:15 2002 - Error - router_service : Failed 1

Fri Feb 01 08:34:23 2002 - Error - store_client_cert: no certificate
Fri Feb 01 08:34:41 2002 - Error - store_client_cert: no certificate
The above errors are repeating a number of times.

4. I have listed some errors We are getting in IBM's "stdout" file.
Instantiate: ffffff
18793.634 1cee1a WebGroup X [Servlet Error]-[{0}]: {1}: {2}
"ffffff"
"Failed to load servlet"
javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet
[ffffff]: Could not find required servlet class - ffffff.class
at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
at javax.servlet.ServletException.<init>(ServletException.java:61)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppServletManager.loadServlet(WebAppServletManager.java:56)

at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebApp.addServlet(WebApp.java:296)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppServletRegistry.addServlet(WebAppServletRegistry.java:42)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.InvokerServlet.service(InvokerServlet.java:138)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doService(Compiled
Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(Compiled
Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.IdleServletState.service(Compiled Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(Compiled
Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstance.service(Compiled Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(Compiled
Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(Compiled
Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(Compiled
Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(Compiled
Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(Compiled
Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(Compiled
Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(Compiled
Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CacheableInvocationContext.invoke(Compiled
Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(Compiled
Code)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(Compiled
Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.SQEventListenerImp$ServiceRunnable.run(Compiled
Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.SQEventListenerImp.notifySQEvent(Compiled
Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.serverqueue.SQEventSource.notifyEvent(Compiled
Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.serverqueue.SQWrapperEventSource$SelectRunnable.notifyService(Compiled
Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.serverqueue.SQWrapperEventSource$SelectRunnable.run(SQWrapperEventSource.java:216)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.outofproc.OutOfProcThread$CtlRunnable.run(OutOfProcThread.java:248)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:492)

18793.744 1cee1a ServletInstan X Uncaught service() exception thrown by
servlet {0}: {1}
"Auto-Invoker"
javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet
[ffffff]: Could not find required servlet class - ffffff.class
at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
at javax.servlet.ServletException.<init>(ServletException.java:73)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.InvokerServlet.service(InvokerServlet.java:147)
[...]

18793.845 1cee1a WebGroup X [Servlet Error]-[{0}]: {1}: {2}
"Auto-Invoker"
"Server caught unhandled exception from
servlet [Auto-Invoker]"

com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.UncaughtServletException: Server caught
unhandled exception from servlet [Auto-Invoker]
at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
at javax.servlet.ServletException.<init>(ServletException.java:61)
at
com.ibm.websphere.servlet.error.ServletErrorReport.<init>(ServletErrorReport.java:43)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppErrorReport.<init>(WebAppErrorReport.java:31)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.UncaughtServletException.<init>(WebApp.java:1559)

[...]

The above error is repeating a number of times.

Regarding 'performance tuning redbook': Where can find this book?

Thanks in advance, for your help.

Shiek Ibrahim S..

S.Sharavanan

Feb 1, 2002, 3:56:09 AM2/1/02
Dear Mr. Artus:

Thanks for your reply.

[...]

These errors are repeating a number of times.

4. I have listed some errors I We are getting in IBM's "stdout" file.

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.outofproc.OutOfProcThread$CtlRunnable.run(OutOfProcThread.java:248)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:492)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.outofproc.OutOfProcThread$CtlRunnable.run(OutOfProcThread.java:248)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:492)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.outofproc.OutOfProcThread$CtlRunnable.run(OutOfProcThread.java:248)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:492)
The above error is repeating a nnumber of times.

Regarding 'performance tuning redbook': Where can find this book?

Thanks in advance, for your help.

Shiek Ibrahim S.

Ken Hygh

Feb 1, 2002, 9:40:46 AM2/1/02
Regarding your question #2, the answer is definitely yes. In 20+ server,
1500 simultaneous user tests, that I have personally been involved with.

Ken

Cameron Purdy

Feb 1, 2002, 1:47:27 PM2/1/02
>>2. Do you know if Websphere has been tested successfully with
>>applications that are process intensive in concurrent multi-user mode?

> Regarding your question #2, the answer is definitely yes. In 20+ server,

> 1500 simultaneous user tests, that I have personally been involved with.

You can never be sure with minor products from little startups like IBM. ;-)

Peace,

--
Cameron Purdy
Tangosol, Inc.