stopServer (must restart computer)

John Smith

Nov 28, 2008, 9:06:26 AM11/28/08

I have following configuration:

WAS 6.1 ND (with security enabled) on Win2003 Server EE. On the same
computer I have IBM HTTP Server, WebSphere Portal and MQ Series. Everything
was installed as Windows service.

Services:

IBM HTTP Administration 6.1
IBM HTTP Server 6.1
IBM MQSeries
IBM WebSphere Application Server V6 - extra
IBM WebSphere Application Server V6 - WebSphere_Portal_extra
IBM WebSphere Application Server V6.1 - server1

When I run:

serverStatus -all -username wasadmin -password mypassword

I got following output:

ADMU0116I: Tool information is being logged in file
C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\logs\serverStatus.log
ADMU0128I: Starting tool with the AppSrv01 profile
ADMU0503I: Retrieving server status for all servers
ADMU0505I: Servers found in configuration:
ADMU0506I: Server name: server1
ADMU0506I: Server name: webserver1
ADMU0509I: The Application Server "server1" cannot be reached. It appears to
be stopped.
ADMU0508I: The Web server "webserver1" is RUNNING

It says "The Application Server "server1" cannot be reached. It appears to
be stopped.",
but the server "server1" is running. I can open its admin console. So, I
have troubles getting status and stopping my server.
The only way to restart my WAS is to restart computer. Is there any other
way?

Juanma Martinez

Nov 28, 2008, 11:52:25 AM11/28/08

Kill the JAVA processes or better investigate what is the problem when
stopping your server.

Gabriel

Nov 30, 2008, 6:30:44 PM11/30/08
John,

The basic rule that I learned from installing WPS and WAS is... do not
install them as a Windows service:)
I am trying to understand your setup. Are WPS and WAS both 6.1? Are
you running WAS as part of WPS or is a separate installation?
If separate installation do you have any ports conflicts?
If separate installations, than you have two server1 (one from portal
and one from was) are you looking on the right one in the admin
console?

Let me know,
Gabriel

PS I cannot help noticing your @microsoft.com email address. Has
Microsoft decided to switch to IBM technology? :)

nani

Nov 30, 2008, 11:31:26 PM11/30/08

john,
first check the server status using serverstatus.bat ,then
check the ports if there are any port conflicts, if you are unable to
stop then kill the jvms

John Smith

Dec 1, 2008, 3:34:01 AM12/1/08

> Kill the JAVA processes or better investigate what is the problem when
> stopping your server.

Yes, I can kill JAVA processes. However, there are few informations about
the problem which makes it very difficult for me to investigate. :(

Ken Hygh

Dec 1, 2008, 5:04:07 AM12/1/08
what's in the logs? is there a server named 'server1' actually running?

Ken

John Smith

Dec 1, 2008, 8:04:32 AM12/1/08

> what's in the logs?
Nothing useful.

> is there a server named 'server1' actually running?

Yes.

I belive the main problem is that servers should be stopped in some order
(first WAS Portal, then WAS AS...). Also, I think that by installing WAS as
Windows service requires special attention when stopping, right?

Ken Hygh

Dec 1, 2008, 10:47:57 AM12/1/08
I don't run WAS as a service, but I'd expect you that if you start it as
a service you need to stop it as a service. But...you might try running
stopServer.bat and see if it'll give you more information.

Ken

Juanma Martinez

Dec 1, 2008, 1:46:33 PM12/1/08

I don't think so, but what happens if you stop the service?

Juanma Martinez

Dec 1, 2008, 1:49:53 PM12/1/08

I don't think so, but what happens (in the logs) if you stop the service?

Jacek Bialecki

Dec 2, 2008, 9:00:43 AM12/2/08
John Smith pisze:

> When I run:
>
> serverStatus -all -username wasadmin -password mypassword
>
> I got following output:
>
> ADMU0116I: Tool information is being logged in file
> C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\logs\serverStatus.log
> ADMU0128I: Starting tool with the AppSrv01 profile
> ADMU0503I: Retrieving server status for all servers
> ADMU0505I: Servers found in configuration:
> ADMU0506I: Server name: server1
> ADMU0506I: Server name: webserver1
> ADMU0509I: The Application Server "server1" cannot be reached. It appears to
> be stopped.

Hi John!

Try to run the following:

serverStatus -all -username wasadmin -password mypassword -trace

You will get very detailed information in the file
<profile_dir>/logs/server1/serverStatus.log

Changes are you'll find out the real reason why you can't get server1
status properly.

Seek for the message like this:

[02/12/08 14:53:34:304 CET] 0000000a AdminTool A ADMU0509I: The

Application Server "server1" cannot be reached. It appears to be stopped.

and analyse the exception stack trace above it.

Best regards!

--
Jacek Bialecki

shankar123

Dec 10, 2008, 3:49:51 PM12/10/08
On Dec 2, 9:00 am, Jacek Bialecki <yac...@no-spam.poczta.onet.pl>
wrote:
> Jacek Bialecki- Hide quoted text -

i am having the same problem. i deleted the server and starting it
using startserver.bat -servername.(it works fine) but when i use the
stopserver.bat -servername it says cannot reach. any inputs on how to
go about that?