IncClientServlet EJB example always failing

Mamta Satoor

Feb 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/26/99
to ma...@cloudscape.com
Hi,

I have installed Websphere 2.0 Advance version
installed on Windows NT. It's using IBM HTTP
server as web server.

I am trying to run IncClientServlet EJS sample and it
always fails.The ejb jar file for IncClientServlet is in
defaultEntityContainer which uses container class
com.ibm.ejs.container.EJSEntityContainer
and jdbc url as jdbc:db2:ejs_samp. When I look at the
database using db2 tools, I don't see any user defined
tables for it. I don't if that's an error, or the tables get
added later on. I enabled debugging using following
servlet http://mamta2/servlet/DebugConsoleServlet
I always see following exception on Exceptions tab of
IBM Websphere Application Server Console
"EJB.INCBEANTBL" is an undefined name
The detailed exception is at the end of the mail.
Why would I get this exception and what if the fix for it.
Under Loaded Servlets tab, I do see IncClientServlet
Any help will be greatly appreciated. The entire exception
is at the end of the message.

Thanks,
Mamta

com.ibm.ejs.container.ContainerException:
com.ibm.ejs.persistence.EJSPersistenceException: getPStmt failed.;
nested exception is:
COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0204N
"EJB.INCBEANTBL" is an undefined name. SQLSTATE=42704
; nested exception is:
com.ibm.ejs.persistence.EJSPersistenceException: getPStmt failed.;
nested exception is:
COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0204N
"EJB.INCBEANTBL" is an undefined name. SQLSTATE=42704

java.rmi.RemoteException: createRemote FAILED:; nested exception is:
com.ibm.ejs.container.ContainerException:
com.ibm.ejs.persistence.EJSPersistenceException: getPStmt failed.;
nested exception is:
COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0204N
"EJB.INCBEANTBL" is an undefined name. SQLSTATE=42704
; nested exception is:
com.ibm.ejs.persistence.EJSPersistenceException: getPStmt failed.;
nested exception is:
COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0204N
"EJB.INCBEANTBL" is an undefined name. SQLSTATE=42704

at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.io.IOException.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.rmi.RemoteException.<init>(RemoteException.java:24)
at
com.ibm.CORBA.java.Exception.java.rmi.RemoteExceptionValue.<init>(RemoteExceptionValue.java:27)

at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.RepImpl.invoke(Compiled Code)
at com.ibm.CORBA.portable.ObjectImpl._invoke(ObjectImpl.java:35)
at
com.transarc.jmon.examples.Inc._IncHomeStub.create(_IncHomeStub.java:239)

at IncClientServlet.doGet(Compiled Code)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:499)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
at com.sun.server.ServletState.callService(ServletState.java:313)
at com.sun.server.ServletManager.callServletService(Compiled Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.SEServletManager.callServletService(SEServletManager.java:120)

at com.sun.server.http.InvokerServlet.service(InvokerServlet.java:104)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(Compiled Code)
at com.sun.server.ServletState.callService(ServletState.java:313)
at com.sun.server.ServletManager.callServletService(Compiled Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.SEServletManager.callServletService(SEServletManager.java:120)

at com.sun.server.ProcessingState.invokeTargetServlet(Compiled Code)
at com.sun.server.http.HttpProcessingState.execute(Compiled Code)
at com.sun.server.http.stages.Runner.process(Compiled Code)
at com.sun.server.ProcessingSupport.process(Compiled Code)
at com.sun.server.Service.process(Compiled Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.SELauncher.processMultiThreaded(SEEngine.java:556)

at com.ibm.servlet.engine.SEEngine.service(SEEngine.java:305)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.api.ServerEntry.service(ServerEntry.java:201)

at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.nativeEntry.NativeServerEntry.service(NativeServerEntry.java:144)

at com.ibm.servlet.engine.outofproc.OutOfProcThread.run(Compiled Code)
SERVER:
java.rmi.RemoteException: createRemote FAILED:; nested exception is:
com.ibm.ejs.container.ContainerException:
com.ibm.ejs.persistence.EJSPersistenceException: getPStmt failed.;
nested exception is:
COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0204N
"EJB.INCBEANTBL" is an undefined name. SQLSTATE=42704
; nested exception is:
com.ibm.ejs.persistence.EJSPersistenceException: getPStmt failed.;
nested exception is:
COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0204N
"EJB.INCBEANTBL" is an undefined name. SQLSTATE=42704

at
com.ibm.ejs.container.EJSEntityHome.createRemote(EJSEntityHome.java:756)

at com.transarc.jmon.examples.Inc.EJSIncHome.create(EJSIncHome.java:41)

at
com.transarc.jmon.examples.Inc._IncHomeSkeleton.create(_IncHomeSkeleton.java:220)

at
com.transarc.jmon.examples.Inc._IncHomeSkeleton._dispatch(_IncHomeSkeleton.java:72)

at
com.transarc.jmon.examples.Inc._IncHomeSkeleton._dispatch(_IncHomeSkeleton.java:61)

at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.GenericServerSC.dispatch(Compiled Code)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ORB.dispatch(ORB.java:2086)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:89)

Srinivas Hasti

Mar 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/2/99
The Inc.jar file in not really deployed yet, as
it doesn't have any mapping to datebase.

Before deploying make sure you have ejs_samp database
created.
Deploy the bean into entity container(you can select either
regenerate or redeploy)

Check for the table "IncBeanTbl" in ejs_samp database.

Restart the server. Hit the IncClientSevlet, it should work.

Thanks
Srinivas

Mamta Satoor

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

Thanks for the steps below. Now I don't get undefined
name error for EJB.INCBEANTBL anymore. But it
still is not working for me. When I try to run the IncClientServlet
from the browser, it comes back saying "The documente
contained no data. Try again later, or contact the server's
administrator". IBM Webspher Application Server Console
under Exceptions tab shows long stack trace which I have
included at the end of this message. Don't know what I
could be doing wrong to cause this stack trace.

I also tried making my own example ejb which is exactly
same as Inc example provided by ibm. I have just
changed the name of all classes to MyInc... rather than
Inc. For eg, IncClient.java has been changed to
MyIncClient.java and changed all the references
everywhere else to MyInc. I have been able to compile
them succesfully and made a jar file. Now, when I try
to use the jet tool to create the ejb-jar file, I always
get
Exception occurred during event dispatching:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Illegal value of transactionAttribute

at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)

at javax.ejb.deployment.ControlDescriptor.setTransactionAttribute(Compiled Code)

at com.ibm.ejb.cb.tools.jet.JetModel.buildEJBJAR(Compiled Code)

at com.ibm.ejb.cb.tools.jet.JetController.updateModel(Compiled Code)

at com.ibm.ejb.cb.tools.jet.JetViewImpl$1.actionPerformed(Compiled Code)

at com.sun.java.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Compiled Code)

at com.sun.java.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Compiled Code)

at com.sun.java.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Compiled Code)

at com.sun.java.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Compiled Code)

at com.sun.java.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Compiled Code)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Compiled Code)

while trying to build in the jet tool. So, I am really stuck at
this point and would appreciate any tips I can get to
proceed.

Thanks,
Mamta

STACK TRACE FOR INCCLIENT in the debug window/

at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)

at java.lang.RuntimeException.<init>(Compiled Code)
at org.omg.CORBA.SystemException.<init>(SystemException.java:58)
at org.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXIST.<init>(OBJECT_NOT_EXIST.java:81)
at org.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXIST.<init>(OBJECT_NOT_EXIST.java:59)
at org.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXIST.<init>(OBJECT_NOT_EXIST.java:51)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ReplyMessage.getSystemException(ReplyMessage.java:98)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.RepImpl.invoke(Compiled Code)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.Generic.is_a(Compiled Code)
at org.omg.CORBA.portable.ObjectImpl._is_a(ObjectImpl.java:53)
at org.omg.CosNaming.NamingContextHelper.narrow(NamingContextHelper.java:63)
at com.ibm.jndi.CosNaming.CNContextImpl.doLookup(CNContextImpl.java:553)
at com.ibm.jndi.CosNaming.CNContextImpl.lookup(CNContextImpl.java:419)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:288)

[...]

IncClientServlet:
org.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXIST: minor code: 2 completed: No

[...]

Srinivas Hasti

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
Jet tool has a bug that prevents from specifying TX_SUPPORTS attribute
to your bean. Select some other attribute.

May be your EJS server didn't come up properly. Did you specify the db2 userid
and db2passwd to your container.

This might help you.

Turning trace On :
1. in appserver_root/properties/ejs.properties make
ejs.trace.enabled=true

2. in appserver_root/properties/server/servlet/debug.properties make
trace.group.ejs.state=on
trace.group.ejs.handlers=LogFile
default for handlers is Console, i prefer writing it to file.
By doing second step, it dumps lots of ejs trace into
appserver_root/logs/websphere_trace.log.
Assuming there are no empty containers and ejs server came up properly
last line in the websphere_trace.log should be bindings(All the JNDI home
names(as skeletons) registered in the Naming Service). That way i know
ejs came up properly.

Warning : websphere_trace.log keeps on growing when you hit the clients
and also this gets appended when you restart the server. So
delete the file when you restart the server. Once you are sure
that ejs is running properly, you can turn the trace off.

Mamta Satoor

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99

Thanks for all the help so far. Continuing on...
1)Jet tool problem about TX_SUPPORTS attribute
has been resolved by chhosing not supported attribute.
And, so now I have the jar file generated by jet with
the deployment secriptor. Now, when I try to deploy
it, I get source jar not opened error at the time of
deployment. The debug server console shows following
error. What I don't understand is why should I get these
errors when my ejs example is exact copy of Inc example
with just the class names changed

EJBDeploy: open(): Verifying EJB com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean

[Controller,1] ControllerAdmin.deployEJBJar(): IVJ0546W: Field keyCounter declared in EJB
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
is static but not final
IVJ0546W: Field class$com$transarc$jmon$examples$MyInc$MyIncBean declared in EJB
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
is static but not final
IVJ0520E: ejbCreate method public void
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean.ejbCreate(com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncKey)
declared in BMP EJB com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean should return the primary key
type java.lang.String (or collection of)
IVJ0534E: EJB com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
does not contain any ejbFindByPrimaryKey method(s)
IVJ0542E: The arguments of the findByPrimaryKey method public abstract
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyInc
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncHome.findByPrimaryKey(com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncKey)
throws java.rmi.RemoteException,javax.ejb.FinderException
declared in home interface com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncHome for CMP EJB
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
is invalid, non-existent, or does not match the order
and/or types of the fields in the key class java.lang.String
Possible cause: The argument is not of the EJBs primary key class type
IVJ0517E: Method public abstract com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyInc
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncHome.findByPrimaryKey(com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncKey)
throws java.rmi.RemoteException,javax.ejb.FinderException
declared in home interface com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncHome has no matching
ejbFindByPrimaryKey method in EJB com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
IVJ0517E: Method public abstract java.util.Enumeration
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncHome.findGreaterThan(int) throws
java.rmi.RemoteException,javax.ejb.FinderException
declared in home interface com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncHome has no matching
ejbFindGreaterThan method in EJB com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean

Thanks a lot,
Mamta

Srinivas Hasti

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
In DD you declared your bean as BMP. So you need to write
create, finder methods accordingly. But you
implemented you bean as CMP.
In the jet tool if you don't select any Container Managed
fields, then descriptor generated will contain entry for your
bean as BMP. In jet tool->Entity Bean -> Container Managed
fields select fields to manage.

Thanks
Srinivas

Mamta Satoor wrote:

> Hi,

Mamta Satoor

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99

You are right, my bean is indeed cmp because I am hoping for
deployment tool to generate all the helper classes. So, after
choosing both theValue and primaryKey as container managed
fields, now I get following errors

EJBDeploy: open(): Verifying EJB com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean

[Controller,1] ControllerAdmin.deployEJBJar(): IVJ0546W: Field keyCounter declared in EJB
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
is static but not final
IVJ0546W: Field class$com$transarc$jmon$examples$MyInc$MyIncBean declared in EJB
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
is static but not final

IVJ0543E: The keyClass java.lang.String for EJB com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean contains no
public fields

IVJ0542E: The arguments of the findByPrimaryKey method public abstract
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyInc
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncHome.findByPrimaryKey(com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncKey)
throws java.rmi.RemoteException,javax.ejb.FinderException
declared in home interface com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncHome for CMP EJB
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
is invalid, non-existent, or does not match the order
and/or types of the fields in the key class java.lang.String
Possible cause: The argument is not of the EJBs primary key class type

[adminservice.servlets,3] [admin] exit service()

Is there something I am missing again in the jet tool?

Thanks,
Mamta
Srinivas Hasti wrote:

> In DD you declared your bean as BMP. So you need to write
> create, finder methods accordingly. But you
> implemented you bean as CMP.
> In the jet tool if you don't select any Container Managed
> fields, then descriptor generated will contain entry for your
> bean as BMP. In jet tool->Entity Bean -> Container Managed
> fields select fields to manage.
>

> Thanks
> Srinivas
>
> Mamta Satoor wrote:
>
> > Hi,

Srinivas Hasti

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
I guess in DD, you defined java.lang.String as a primary key for your bean
in jet tool(default). But in finder method you are passing MyIncKey as
a primary key. In Jet tool, Entity bean --> Primary Key class , enter
com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncKey

Also, for JNDI Home name, jet tool defaults to
com/transarc/jmon/examples/MyInc/MyIncHome
make that to MyIncHome.

Thanks
Srinivas

Mamta Satoor wrote:

> Hi,
>

> You are right, my bean is indeed cmp because I am hoping for
> deployment tool to generate all the helper classes. So, after
> choosing both theValue and primaryKey as container managed
> fields, now I get following errors
> EJBDeploy: open(): Verifying EJB com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
>
> [Controller,1] ControllerAdmin.deployEJBJar(): IVJ0546W: Field keyCounter declared in EJB
> com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
> is static but not final
> IVJ0546W: Field class$com$transarc$jmon$examples$MyInc$MyIncBean declared in EJB
> com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
> is static but not final
> IVJ0543E: The keyClass java.lang.String for EJB com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean contains no
> public fields
>
> IVJ0542E: The arguments of the findByPrimaryKey method public abstract
> com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyInc

> com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncHome.findByPrimaryKey( )

> throws java.rmi.RemoteException,javax.ejb.FinderException
> declared in home interface com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncHome for CMP EJB
> com.transarc.jmon.examples.MyInc.MyIncBean
> is invalid, non-existent, or does not match the order
> and/or types of the fields in the key class java.lang.String
> Possible cause: The argument is not of the EJBs primary key class type
>
> [adminservice.servlets,3] [admin] exit service()
>
> Is there something I am missing again in the jet tool?
>
> Thanks,
> Mamta
> Srinivas Hasti wrote:
>
> > In DD you declared your bean as BMP. So you need to write
> > create, finder methods accordingly. But you
> > implemented you bean as CMP.
> > In the jet tool if you don't select any Container Managed
> > fields, then descriptor generated will contain entry for your
> > bean as BMP. In jet tool->Entity Bean -> Container Managed
> > fields select fields to manage.
> >

> > Thanks
> > Srinivas
> >
> > Mamta Satoor wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

Mamta Satoor

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
After fixing the rest of the jet problems, now
I have the jar which has dd in it and also been
able to deploy it sucessfully to entitycontainer.
When I go check the ejs_samp table, I do
see an entry for myincbeantable, but whenever
I try to access it through the servlet, I get
following exception. I used to get the same
exception for IncClientServlet for dropping
the entitycontainer and adding it back and
redeploying inc example fixed that problem.
But for some reason, same steps for my copy
of inc example is not working. As usual, thanks
for all the help,
Mamta
MyIncClientServlet FAILED to lookup "MyIncBean":

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException

at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)

at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)

at javax.naming.NamingException.<init>(NamingException.java:129)

at javax.naming.NameNotFoundException.<init>(NameNotFoundException.java:61)

at com.ibm.jndi.CosNaming.CNContextImpl.doLookup(CNContextImpl.java:538)

at com.ibm.jndi.CosNaming.CNContextImpl.lookup(CNContextImpl.java:419)

at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:288)

at MyIncClientServlet.doGet(Compiled Code)

Srinivas Hasti

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99
What is your JNDI lookup name ? Is it "MyIncHome"
or "MyIncBean". (In my previous posting i suggested
you to put "MyIncHome"). if it is MyIncHome, modify
your servlet to do lookup on "MyIncHome".

Thanks
Srinivas