Help using an alternate ORB in WebSphere advanced

Don Park

May 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/4/00
I am trying to use the Java ORB called Orbacus 3.3.1 (CORBA 2.0
compliant) with a servlet in websphere.

the ORB is initialized with
org.omg.CORBA.ORB orb;
orb = org.omg.CORBA.ORB.init( new String[0] ,props);
where Props has
org.omg.CORBA.ORBClass= com.ooc.CORBA.ORB
org.omg.CORBA.ORBSingletonClass = com.ooc.CORBA.ORBSingleton
from a properties file.

At the first string_to_object reference with the following IOR:
corbaloc:iiop:mothra:1300/Lookup
an exception is thrown

java.lang.ClassCastException: com.sun.rmi.corba.ORBSingleton
at com.ooc.OCI.IIOP.impl.ConFactory.create(Compiled Code)
at
com.ooc.OCI.IIOP.impl.ConFactory.create_with_policies(ConFactory.java:71)
at com.ooc.CORBA.ORB._OB_changeDelegate(Compiled Code)
at com.ooc.CORBA.ORB._OB_createObject(ORB.java:919)
at com.ooc.CORBA.CorbaURL.CORBALOCToObject(Compiled Code)
at com.ooc.CORBA.CorbaURL.toObject(CorbaURL.java:48)
at com.ooc.CORBA.INS.stringToObject(INS.java:26)
at com.ooc.CORBA.ORB.string_to_object(ORB.java:263)
at com.sightnsound.booksmart.Trader.initialize(Trader.java:390)

The first problem is that somehow a Singleton is being used instead of a
full orb. The second problem is that the SingletonClass property is
getting ignored.

I have added the jar files to the end of the
com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminserver.classpath in admin.config.

I have tried to put the orbacus jar files at the start of the class path
and I have tried putting the ujc.jar file (where the org.omg.* classes
live) at the end of the class path. Each of these made it so that
websphere would not start. The NT services panel reports an internal error
until I put the classpath back how it was.

Using the jdk commandline -classpath has no effect on the classpath that
is retrieved from the system properties.

This same setup runs fine using the WebSphere Test Environment from Visual
Age for Java 3.

Don