RMI objects in WebSphere JNDI Namespace

Nandakumar K S

Jan 3, 2002, 3:02:50 AM1/3/02
I am trying to integrate our application which has RMI services with
WebSphere 4.0.1 Advanced Edition.

In the process, a servlet launches the Application's RMI services.
Presently, a separate RMI Registry is brought up
along with the WebSphere Appserver and the application has methods that
binds and looksup (using JNDI) this RMI Registry to
access the services. To do this I need to have providerutil.jar and
rmiregistry.jar in my classpath so that the application
can bind or lookup for the RMI services using the initial context
factory - "com.sun.jndi.rmi.registry.RegistryContextFactory".
Note- Care is taken to not to have servelet as RMI server.

My goal is to avoid a separate RMI registry outside WebSphere
container. To do this, how can I make use of WebSphere's
RMI registry and also what is the JNDI Initial Context Factory for
accessing RMI objects?

Cheers & All:-)s
nanda

John Harby

Jan 3, 2002, 1:01:09 PM1/3/02
You might want to check out Custom Services if you need some startup service
to bind the names. The factory is
com.ibm.websphere.naming.WsnInitialContextFactory.

"Nandakumar K S" <nsur...@asera.com> wrote in message

Nandakumar K S

Jan 4, 2002, 8:13:57 AM1/4/02
Hi John,
I tried to use the one suggested by you...below quoted is the exception trace I
obtained!!!
Please note server10_CacheService is my object which I am trying to
register/bind in JNDI Namespace

Cheers & All:-)s
nanda

javax.naming.NamingException: server10_CacheService. Root exception is
java.rmi.NoSuchObjectException: object not exported
at sun.rmi.transport.ObjectTable.getStub(ObjectTable.java:102)
at java.rmi.server.RemoteObject.toStub(RemoteObject.java:76)
at com.ibm.rmi.util.JDKBridge.getJRMPStub(JDKBridge.java:129)
at
com.ibm.rmi.javax.rmi.PortableRemoteObject.toStub(PortableRemoteObject.java:138)

at javax.rmi.PortableRemoteObject.toStub(PortableRemoteObject.java:103)
at
com.ibm.ws.naming.util.Helpers.processRemoteObjectForBinding(Helpers.java:549)
at com.ibm.ejs.ns.jndi.CNContextImpl.doRebind(CNContextImpl.java:1800)
at com.ibm.ejs.ns.jndi.CNContextImpl.rebind(CNContextImpl.java:592)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.rebind(InitialContext.java:366)
at com.asera.server.util.rmi.RMIFactory.register(RMIFactory.java:132)
at
com.asera.server.vas.servlet.AppServerStartup.main(AppServerStartup.java:93)
at
com.asera.server.vas.servlet.AppServerStartupShutdown.initialize(AppServerStartupShutdown.java:38)

at com.ibm.ws.runtime.Server.startCustomService(Server.java:1153)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.Server.addCustomService(Server.java:1096)
at
com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveEJBServer.configCustomServices(ActiveEJBServer.java:306)

at
com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveEJBServer.configWCCM(ActiveEJBServer.java:171)
at
com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveObject.configObject(ActiveObject.java:765)
at com.ibm.ejs.sm.active.ActiveObject.start(ActiveObject.java:115)
at
com.ibm.ejs.sm.agent.AdminAgentImpl.activeObjectInvocation(AdminAgentImpl.java:93)

at
com.ibm.ejs.sm.agent.AdminAgentImpl.invokeActiveObject(AdminAgentImpl.java:62)
at com.ibm.ejs.sm.agent._AdminAgentImpl_Tie._invoke(Unknown Source)
at
com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ExtendedServerDelegate.dispatch(ExtendedServerDelegate.java:506)

at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ORB.process(ORB.java:2294)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.OrbWorker.run(OrbWorker.java:185)
at com.ibm.ejs.oa.pool.ThreadPool$PooledWorker.run(ThreadPool.java:95)
at com.ibm.ws.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadPool.java:122)

John Harby

Jan 4, 2002, 10:15:07 AM1/4/02
This is the thread I had seen about this - see if it helps:
http://www.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=46&t=000
666