OPERATION_0=0020GET is not defined in RFC 2068 and is not supported by the Servlet API

João Repas Gonçalves

May 20, 2003, 6:10:30 PM5/20/03
I'm using Websphere Application Server 4.0.4
HTTP Server
Edge Server on several AIX.

Now and then I get this error message. Does anyone have had a similar
problem, and help determine its cause (and solution).

This problem was registered by HTTP Server (stdout.txt, reporting an error
501), by Websphere Plugin in trace mode (native.log), and by Websphere AS
(stdout.txt)

The complete message is (obtained from log-analyser)
(/usr/WebSphere/AppServer/logs/activity.log):

RecordId: Rec_86
ComponentId:
ProcessId: 28374
ThreadId: 429e17a5
FunctionName:
ProbeId:
SourceId: com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebGroup
Manufacturer: IBM
Product: WebSphere
Version: AE 4.0.5 ptf50246.04
ServerName: sys1/application1_clone2
ClientHostName:
ClientUserId:
TimeStamp: 5/9/2003 13:57:15.870000000
UnitOfWork:
Severity: 1
Category: ERROR
FormatWarning:
PrimaryMessage:
ExtendedMessage: SRVE0026E: [Servlet
Error]-[mysite.osonline.controler.ActOsSel]:
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppErrorReport: Method
&EXECHOUR_9=17%3A40&HEXECHOUR_9=TP%3DTIME+MD%3DY&#43
;MK%3DHH%3AMM&OPERATION_0=0020GET is not defined in RFC 2068 and
is not supported by the Servlet API
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppDispatcherResponse.sendError(WebAppDispa
tcherResponse.java:93)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled Code))
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doService(ServletManager
.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycl
eServlet.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServle
t.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycle
Servlet.java(Inlined Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstance.service(ServletManager.java(Co
mpiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ServletMan
ager.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletManag
er.java(Inlined Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(W
ebAppRequestDispatcher.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequest
Dispatcher.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestD
ispatcher.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.InvokerServlet.service(InvokerServlet.java(Com
piled Code))
[...]
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java(Compil
ed Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.
java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedIn
vocation.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CacheableInvocationContext.invoke(Cacheabl
eInvocationContext.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequ
estProcessor.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener
.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.http11.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.ja
va(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java(Comp
iled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadPool.java:138)

RawDataLen: 0
RawData:

Ben_

May 21, 2003, 4:02:04 PM5/21/03
There must have been a malformed HTTP request, beginning with an illegal
character (0020GET instead of GET). As a result, the web container returns
"HTTP/1.1 501 Method Not Implemented".

Scott Dickerson

Jun 3, 2003, 9:42:10 AM6/3/03
Whenever a webpage is requested by a browser, an HTTP exchange like this
is getting sent from the browser to the Web Application Server.

GET /MyWebPage HTTP/1.1
Host: yourhost.yournet.com

If the GET is sent correctly the text of the webpage is returned. If the
GET method is sent incorrectly, then WebSphere will respond with the
error that you've seen.

In fact, you can open a telnet session to the port of your Web
Application Server and manually issue the HTTP request like this to
emulate the request your browser is sending. I can even force mine to
fail with the same error you're receiving (turn on LOCAL_ECHO on your
telnet session):
telnet myhost.myserver.com 9080
>BOGUS /ServletTest/Timer HTTP/1.1
>Host: myhost.myserver.com
[Hit Enter twice]

HTTP/1.1 501 Method BOGUS is not defined in RFC 2068 and is not

supported by the Servlet API

Therefore I suspect the error could be caused by two possibilities:
1. Edge Server is sending an incorrect request to WebSphere. To debug
this, I would recommend a packet sniffer be used to watch the packets
come in from Edge Server to WebSphere to ensure that the GET request
from Edge Server is well formed.
2. WebSphere is misinterpreting a normal GET request (which would be a
defect (upgrade to latest fixpack to ensure this isn't the case..)

Do you recognize the extra text before the GET request? Did it come
from some other part of your application?

Scott

rmen...@luminafinance.com

Aug 6, 2004, 11:11:12 AM8/6/04
I'm having caind of the same problem. The thing is that ocurs ramdomly, i think that can be the client platform that is sending bad request. here is my exception

com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppErrorReport: Method ISVK=HY4K
5PU9SGJK534627IO90QDMC87AX3F&INPUTOBJECTVARIABLE=ACEAWEBLOGIN&ACTION=CEA.WEB.LOGIN.CONSUMERWEBLOGINACTION&_PROCESSEDPAGE=.%2FPUHOME.JSP&_INV
ALIDINPUTPAGE=.%2FCONSUMERLOGIN.JSP&_CHANGEPASSWORDPAGE=.%2FCHANGECONSUMERPASSWORDFOREXPIRATION.JSP&PROCESSEDPAGE=.%2FHTTPREDIRECTPROCESSED.
JSP&INVALIDINPUTPAGE=.%2FHTTPREDIRECTINVALID.JSP&CHANGEPASSWORDPAGE=.%2FHTTPREDIRECTCHANGEPASSWORD.JSP&DISCLAIMERACCEPTED=TRUE&MUSTCHECK
PERSONALDATAVALIDATION=TRUE&MESSAGEUSERNOTVALIDATED=EL+USUARIO+EST%E1+INHABILITADO.+%3CBR%3ECOMUNICATE+AL+0-810-55-LUCKY
+%2858259%29.&COUNTRYOID=COU0000017&PERSONALIDTYPEOID=IDT0000017&PERSONALIDNUMBER=20817596&PASSWORD=150581&FIELDTOFOCUS=&X=7
1&Y=5HEAD is not defined in RFC 2068 and is not supported by the Servlet API
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppDispatcherResponse.sendError(WebAppDispatcherResponse.java:93)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:785)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doService(ServletManager.java:827)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:167)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:297)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:110)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstance.service(ServletManager.java:472)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ServletManager.java:1012)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletManager.java:913)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:721)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:374)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:118)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:134)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.java:239)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedInvocation.java:67)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CacheableInvocationContext.invoke(CacheableInvocationContext.java:106)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequestProcessor.java:154)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener.java:315)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.http11.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:60)
at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:332)
at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:261)
at com.ibm.ws.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadPool.java:144)

Denis

Aug 6, 2004, 12:05:59 PM8/6/04
Dont know if it can help, but we had similar problems. It was due to an http GET action that was associated with too many
parameters. The http string passed to the web server was sometimes greater than 2k, causing it to fail to correctly decode the http
stream

Denis

Ken Hygh

Aug 6, 2004, 1:09:30 PM8/6/04
rmen...@luminafinance.com wrote:

>I'm having caind of the same problem. The thing is that ocurs ramdomly, i think that can be the client platform that is sending bad request. here is my exception
>
>com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppErrorReport: Method ISVK=HY4K
>5PU9SGJK534627IO90QDMC87AX3F&INPUTOBJECTVARIABLE=ACEAWEBLOGIN&ACTION=CEA.WEB.LOGIN.CONSUMERWEBLOGINACTION&_PROCESSEDPAGE=.%2FPUHOME.JSP&_INV
>ALIDINPUTPAGE=.%2FCONSUMERLOGIN.JSP&_CHANGEPASSWORDPAGE=.%2FCHANGECONSUMERPASSWORDFOREXPIRATION.JSP&PROCESSEDPAGE=.%2FHTTPREDIRECTPROCESSED.
>JSP&INVALIDINPUTPAGE=.%2FHTTPREDIRECTINVALID.JSP&CHANGEPASSWORDPAGE=.%2FHTTPREDIRECTCHANGEPASSWORD.JSP&DISCLAIMERACCEPTED=TRUE&MUSTCHECK
>PERSONALDATAVALIDATION=TRUE&MESSAGEUSERNOTVALIDATED=EL+USUARIO+EST%E1+INHABILITADO.+%3CBR%3ECOMUNICATE+AL+0-810-55-LUCKY
>+%2858259%29.&COUNTRYOID=COU0000017&PERSONALIDTYPEOID=IDT0000017&PERSONALIDNUMBER=20817596&PASSWORD=150581&FIELDTOFOCUS=&X=7
>1&Y=5HEAD is not defined in RFC 2068 and is not supported by the Servlet API
> at

There was a bug in the plugin that caused this if the input was too
large. You might try getting the latest fixpack for your version, or
contact support.

Ken

rmen...@luminafinance.com

Aug 6, 2004, 1:24:16 PM8/6/04
Denis if you see the exception you can read there the parameters that have been send. In particular you can see the word "HEAD", I had other exception similars to this one using POST, but none using GET. here is another one.

com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppErrorReport: Method ISVK=HY4K5PU9SGJK534627IO90QDMC87AX3F&INPUTOBJECTVARIABLE=ACEAWEBLOGIN&ACTION=CEA.WEB.LOGIN.CONSUMERWEBLOGINACTION&_PROCESSEDPAGE=.%2FPUHOME.JSP&_INVALIDINPUTPAGE=.%2FCONSUMERLOGIN.JSP&_CHANGEPASSWORDPAGE=.%2FCHANGECONSUMERPASSWORDFOREXPIRATION.JSP&PROCESSEDPAGE=.%2FHTTPREDIRECTPROCESSED.JSP&INVALIDINPUTPAGE=.%2FHTTPREDIRECTINVALID.JSP&CHANGEPASSWORDPAGE=.%2FHTTPREDIRECTCHANGEPASSWORD.JSP&DISCLAIMERACCEPTED=TRUE&MUSTCHECKPERSONALDATAVALIDATION=TRUE&MESSAGEUSERNOTVALIDATED=EL+USUARIO+EST%E1+INHABILITADO.+%3CBR%3ECOMUNICATE+AL+0-810-55-LUCKY+%2858259%29.&COUNTRYOID=COU0000017&PERSONALIDTYPEOID=IDT0000017&PERSONALIDNUMBER=25350466&PASSWORD=280204&FIELDTOFOCUS=&X=70&Y=13POST is not defined in RFC 2068 and is not supported by the Servlet API

Todd Kaplinger

Aug 6, 2004, 1:24:14 PM8/6/04
Apply the latest fixpack. There were issues where the prior connection
was not being cleaned up properly and caused messages similar to this.

ad03...@hk1.ibm.com

Jan 28, 2006, 8:53:01 PM1/28/06

I am migrating the application from WAS V4 to WAS V5, and I am encountering similar problem.

When the application catch exception and branch to error page, it cannot go back to the application main flow through an OK" button that provide a link to it, and the page cannot be displayed.

The problem is that only some page has this error. We suspect that is somehow related to setting the response in the jsp:

<%
response.setContentType("text/html; charset=utf-8");
response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "no-cache");
response.setHeader("Pragma", "no-cache");
%>

I have already applied the latest fixpack (now the WAS level is 5.1.1.8).

After checking out the server log, the following servlet error on SimpleFileServlet was found:

SystemOut.log
==============
[1/26/06 19:26:51:969 CST] 4d513e0 WebGroup E SRVE0026E: [Servlet Error]-[SimpleFileServlet]: com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppErrorReport: Method ACTION_TYPE=NULL&amp;TARGET=GET is not defined in RFC 2068 and is not supported by the Servlet API
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.SRTServletResponseContext.sendError(SRTServletResponseContext.java:162)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.SRTServletResponse.sendError(SRTServletResponse.java:621)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:785)

at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictServletInstance.doService(StrictServletInstance.java:110)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:174)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:313)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycleServlet.java:116)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstance.service(ServletInstance.java:283)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ValidServletReferenceState.java:42)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletInstanceReference.java:40)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:974)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:555)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:200)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:119)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.java:276)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.cache.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedInvocation.java:71)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.cache.invocation.CacheableInvocationContext.invoke(CacheableInvocationContext.java:114)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequestProcessor.java:186)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener.java:334)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.http.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:56)
at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:618)
at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:439)
at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:593)

Your help and advice is much appreciated!

Jo

Ken Hygh

Jan 29, 2006, 7:19:52 AM1/29/06
ad03...@hk1.ibm.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am migrating the application from WAS V4 to WAS V5, and I am encountering similar problem.
>
>When the application catch exception and branch to error page, it cannot go back to the application main flow through an OK" button that provide a link to it, and the page cannot be displayed.
>
>The problem is that only some page has this error. We suspect that is somehow related to setting the response in the jsp:
>
><%
>response.setContentType("text/html; charset=utf-8");
>response.setHeader("Cache-Control", "no-cache");
>response.setHeader("Pragma", "no-cache");
>%>
>

>I have already applied the latest fixpack (now the WAS level is 5.1.1.8).
>

>After checking out the server log, the following servlet error on SimpleFileServlet was found:
>
>SystemOut.log
>==============
>[1/26/06 19:26:51:969 CST] 4d513e0 WebGroup E SRVE0026E: [Servlet Error]-[SimpleFileServlet]: com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.webapp.WebAppErrorReport: Method ACTION_TYPE=NULL&amp;TARGET=GET is not defined in RFC 2068 and is not supported by the Servlet API
> at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.srt.SRTServletResponseContext.sendError(SRTServletResponseContext.java:162)

[snip]

> at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:593)
>
>Your help and advice is much appreciated!
>
>Jo

Jo,
If I remember correctly, at one time there was a bug in the plugin that
caused this - did you also upgrade the plugin code? If so, open a PMR
with IBM.

Ken