Beginner's Question relating WebSphere Advanced Single Server Edition 4.0

1 view

Dang Quang Minh

Sep 7, 2001, 10:49:54 AM9/7/01
Hi all,

I have a very problem when I try to create a very simple application for Websphere AS 4.0. This application has a Web module containing a single servlet named
LoginServlet, this servlet uses some other utility classes. When I invoke this servlet from the browser there is the following error message in the log file :

[01.09.07 13:33:42:060 GMT+01:00] 215d1ca5 WebGroup
X SRVE0026E: [Servlet-Fehler]-[LoginServlet]: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
com/wiley/compBooks/EJwithUML/TimecardServlets/LoginServlet

(wrong name: com/wiley/compBooks/EJwithUML/TimeCardServlets/LoginServlet)
 at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
 at com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader.findClass(CompoundClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))

The contents of the xml descriptor file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <!DOCTYPE web-app (View Source for full doctype...)>
- <web-app id="WebApp_ID">
  <display-name>LoginServletwithUML</display-name>
  <description>Sample from the book UML</description>
- <servlet id="Servlet_1">
  <servlet-name>LoginServlet</servlet-name>
  <display-name>Login Servlet with UML Book</display-name>
  <servlet-class>com.wiley.compBooks.EJwithUML.TimecardServlets.LoginServlet</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
- <servlet-mapping id="ServletMapping_1">
  <servlet-name>LoginServlet</servlet-name>
  <url-pattern>LoginServletwithUML</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
  </web-app>

I wonder why this error can happen because I see the servlet class and the utility classes are all present in the .war Web module which is embedded inside the .ear application module. I don't know whether I should set the classpath value?

I also have a question regarding the file name for a newly created Web module. It seems to me that this name is fixed by Application Assembly Tool, I cannot use File/Save As to specify another name and location.

Thanks in advance

David Artus

Sep 7, 2001, 6:03:37 PM9/7/01

I wonder whether your class has been renamed at some
point? Note that you have

    TimeCard

and

    Timecard

in the error message below. As though when the class file
"TimeCard" is opened it is found to contain is "Timecard"