"jsp: include" dosen't work properly -->PLEASE HELP!

John Young

Aug 12, 2001, 1:48:33 PM8/12/01
Can someone PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME?

I have some "jsp:include" tag in the index.jsp page. This index.jsp are
supposed to call two component file (jsp files) on the fly. They are
header.jsp and lftnav.jsp. I designed this layout for easy content
maintenance of the site. After files were published to the web server, the
browser can NOT parse the jsp pages properly.

Here are my Web development environment:

Tools: IBM Websphere studio V3.5.3
WAS: WAS 3.5.4 Adv. Edition
HTTP Server: IBM HTTP Server 3.2.12

Files publishing target:
html pages: "C:\sites\IISWeb\web"
jsp pages: "C:\sites\IISWeb\web"
servlets pages: "C:\sites\IISWeb\servlets"

Here are my jsp tag in index.jsp page:

" ....<jsp:include page = "/pages/header.jsp" flush="true" /> "
" ....<jsp:include page = "/pages/lftnav.jsp" flush="true" /> "

jsp engine configuration:

1) JSP engine (specification): 1.0 (enabled, running during page test)
2) WAS web application was running fine when testing the indes.jsp page

Problems:
1) IE browser, Index.jsp page can not be built completely on the fly. In
another word, header.jsp and lftnav.jsp are not built in at all in the
index.jsp page. Only the index.jsp content are there.

2) The weird thing is this: in Netscape browser, nothing came up right.
Instead, the plain text of html are showing up, looks like Netscape does NOT
try to interpret HTML tags.

I was trying to figure out what went wrong for days. and I am totally worn
out.

Can someone please, please help me? Any directional information is HIGHLY
APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

John

Todd Kaplinger

Aug 12, 2001, 2:55:32 PM8/12/01
Since you are running on WAS3.5.4, are you making sure that the files
requested filenames are case sensitive? Can you post the complete jsp code
to see if it is a possible coding problem? Is the directory pages located
under the document root?

"John Young" <jyou...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

David Artus

Aug 12, 2001, 2:50:58 PM8/12/01

First, what you are trying to do can be made to work. In fact
we sometimes take it a step further and compute the page
to include at run-time:

<jsp:include page='<%= SysViewAttr.getViewPath() %>' flush="true" />

Now to analyse this, remember that these jsp tags should be processed
by websphere. The browser should never see them. So the first
question is what's actually happening to your jsp. Is it being interpreted
correctly by websphere?

WebSphere Studio adds a level complexity here, so I suggest that
you make a copy of the jsp in C:\sites\IISWeb\web, let's call it
dave.jsp. Edit dave.jsp and cut it right down to a bit of text and a
jsp include. In particular remove all table stuff.

Browse to that in Netscape. Perhaps you will get the same symptom,
an apprently minimal or empty page? Use View Source in Netscape
and see what HTML got sent to Netscape.

If you see your <jsp: include> statement then WebSphere ignored
it (or never saw it) and we need to look at the WebSphere config.

You may also want to have a quick trawl through the logs and see whether
you see anything interesting.

[My guess is that the web server is serving up the JSP without passing
it to websphere, but I'm trying to suggest other diagnoistic possibilities
too.]

John Young

Aug 12, 2001, 8:32:57 PM8/12/01
Todd, thanks for your information

1) my header.jsp and lftnav.jsp contain simple html content. No complexed
code at all

2) index.jsp pages are supposed to be built on the fly by calling those two
jsp files, using "jsp:include page = "/pages/header.jsp" flush="true" />

3) After publishing, through IE browser, I can view these three jsp files
seperately. But through Netscape, all were viewed are the plain html tags,
not a regular web content page.

4) Yes, the document root of the virtual host ("C:\Sites\IISWeb\web") is
defined the "httpd.conf" file. and I am not sure how to find out WAS 3.5.4
case sensitive setting, but I inlcude the file name eaxctly the way in the
directory.

5) I think for some reason WAS doesn't interpret index.jsp correctly.
Because I could not find any servlet (class file) being produced as a result
of the jsp parsing, under the temp--> host--> iishost folder.

Thanks

John

"Todd Kaplinger" <kapl...@alum.bentley.edu> wrote in message

John Young

Aug 12, 2001, 10:39:46 PM8/12/01
David, thanks for your feedback, very instructive

1) I think you were right. My HTTP server is serving up the JSP without
passing
it to websphere. Because there was no servlet (class file) at all which I
think is supposed to be generated when the jsp pages are parsed correctly
under Websphere/AppServer/temp/iisweb_host. I can see NOTHING there.

2) I tried what you suggested by editing a simple text content and saved it
as .jsp file under "C:\Sites\IISWeb\web" . STILL the Netscape doesn't parse
it. After publishing to the web server, Page could not be viewed. Instead
showing all the SOURCE code, incl."jsp:include ...." tag.

3) IE browser seems to like everything. all three jsp pages (header.jsp,
lftnav.jsp, index.jsp)can be brought up individually.

David, I am not sure where to debug further. Pleae help me and guide me in
"step by step" of what I should do?

Here are additional info that you might need to know:
HTTP Server--> httpd.conf file virtual host configuration:

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
DocumentRoot "C:/Sites/IISWeb/web"
ServerName test.www.innovativeis.com
ErrorLog logs/iisweb-error.log
TransferLog logs/iisweb-access.log
DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.html
</VirtualHost>

If you need some WAS config data, pleae let me know. basically I use
1) jsp enabler (processor) with 1.0 specification
2) alias: test.www.innovativeis.com
3) web path: /IISWeb
4) with WAS Advanced edition V3.5.4 (basic v3.5 with fixpack 4)

I really appreciate your help, David.

Sincerely,

John

"David Artus" <art...@nospamuk.ibm.nospamcom> wrote in message

Ken Hygh

Aug 13, 2001, 8:14:23 AM8/13/01
John,
Can you see /servlet/snoop? If not, then either WebSphere isn't started, or IIS
is not passing any requests on to it, and is serving them all itself.

Ken

David Artus

Aug 13, 2001, 8:28:15 AM8/13/01

OK. Now we need to figure out how websphere and the web server
plung-in are (mis-)configured.

Ken's suggestion of checking out a simple servlet such as snoop
is what I would do next. If it works then check the configuration of
your jsp-enabling servlet. If it doesn't then we're one further step
down the line.

Jai Thomas

Aug 13, 2001, 10:38:09 AM8/13/01
Do the included jsp files contain html header tags (such as 'title').
If so, remove all header entries from included JSPs and see.

Regards
Jai

John Young

Aug 13, 2001, 2:33:45 PM8/13/01
Ken,

1) I tested snoop servlet (http://localhost/servlet/snoop) and one
Enterprise bean, "Hitcount". They all worked fine, showing the "Snoop
Servlet - Request/Client Information" and the "Hitcount" pages. Just let
you know these files are under "Default Server-->Default Servlet
Engine-->default_app", not in my webapp, "IISWeb".

2) Do you think if snoop servlet is working, that means WAS config work fine
for webapp, IISWeb?

3) for your information, my webapp(IISWeb) was created standalone from the
"Default Server". I don't have any EJB ans servlet yet. I was trying to
use jsp pages.

4) I compared the jsp 1.0 specificatiaon between "default_app" and
"iisweb_app". The only different is that there is an "invoker" which
"Enables Serving Servlets By Classname" in the "default_app", while
"iisweb_app" doesn't. I am not sure if this makes the dramatic difference.

both have the same Servlet Class Name: "com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet"

Please guide me through what I should do the next?

Thanks

John

"Ken Hygh" <ken...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

John Young

David Artus

Aug 13, 2001, 4:37:55 PM8/13/01

If you tested http://localhost/servlet/snoop then you are
testing the default web app. We need to see that requests
intended for your new webapp are also passed over to
websphere.

So you need a copy of the snoop servlet (or some other simple
servelt) in the new webapp once your equivalent of
http://localhost/{mywebapp}/servlet/snoop
is seen to run then we completed the first test. If it doen't
run (giving a 404 error) then have a look at the plugin
properties in {WASROOT}/temp. WebSphere should
update these as you as new features to your webapp but
you can request a manual update in the console.

Todd Kaplinger

Aug 13, 2001, 7:35:45 PM8/13/01
Can you post the source code. It may make things easier since this should
work. If you are running WAS3.5.4, then WAS is case sensitive.

"John Young" <jyou...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

John Young

Aug 14, 2001, 3:56:01 PM8/14/01
David,

Appreciate your feedback. on the same jsp page issues, I realized the
Netscape browser doesn't interpret the .jsp pages at all. The following is
what I did and would like to share with you.

1) for testing purpose, I created the following STATIC html line and saved
it as "test.jsp"

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META name="GENERATOR" content="IBM WebSphere Page Designer V3.5.3.2 for
Windows">

<META http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">

<TITLE>JSP page test</TITLE>

</HEAD>

<BODY bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

<P>This is a jsp test </P>

</BODY>

</HTML>

2) published to the web server

3) through IE browser, "test.jsp" came up just fine. However, with Netscape
the above html code showed up instead of page content which is "This is a
jsp test"

4) I looked at my http server access log, the following is what it
interpretes the http request:

Situation A:
Request (IE browser): http://test.www.innovativeis.com/test.jsp
Access_log: 127.0.0.1 - - [14/Aug/2001:12:38:17 -0700] "GET /test.jsp
HTTP/1.1" 304 -
error log: no error_msg
browser result: page came up just fine.

Situation B:
Request (Netscape): http://test.www.innovativeis.com/test.jsp
Access_log: 127.0.0.1 - - [14/Aug/2001:12:47:20 -0700] "GET /test.jsp
HTTP/1.0" 304 -
error_log: no error_msg
browser result: showing all the html code. didn't interpret the html tag.

Server configuration:
5) my virtualhost config in the httpd.conf file:

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
DocumentRoot C:/Sites/IISWeb/web
ServerName test.www.innovativeis.com
ErrorLog logs/iisweb-error.log
TransferLog logs/iisweb-access.log
DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.html
</VirtualHost>

David, is there anything I majorly missing here in deploying .jsp pages? I
really, realy appreciate your time and efforts to guide me through the
difficult and frustrating time.

Thank you very much

John

"David Artus" <art...@nospamuk.ibm.nospamcom> wrote in message

John Young

Aug 14, 2001, 5:38:00 PM8/14/01
Yes, all my jsp files are in "IISWeb\web" directory and I checked they are all there.  However I found something very weird:

1) for testing purpose,  I created the following STATIC html line and saved it as "test.jsp"

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META name="GENERATOR" content="IBM WebSphere Page Designer V3.5.3.2 for Windows">
<META http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
<TITLE>JSP page test</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<P>This is a jsp test </P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

2) published to the web server, started the http server

3) in a browser, I began to test this simple .jsp page, with no "jsp:include...or other jsp expresstions".

Situation A:
Request (IE browser):
Access_log:
"127.0.0.1 - - [14/Aug/2001:12:38:17 -0700] "GET /test.jsp HTTP/1.1" 304 -"
Error log:
no error_msg
Browser result: page came up just fine.

Situation B:
Request (Netscape):
http://test.www.innovativeis.com/test.jsp
Access_log:
127.0.0.1 - - [14/Aug/2001:12:47:20 -0700] "GET /test.jsp HTTP/1.0" 304 -
Error_log:
no error_msg
Broswer result: showing all the html tag.  didn't interpret the html tag.

4) If I look at the access log carefully, with IE browser, it showed  "....HTTP/1.1", but with Netscape, it is "......HTTP/1.0"  what does this number mean?  jsp specification?  I have the jsp 1.0 engine specified.

Server configuration:
5) my virtualhost config in the httpd.conf file:
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
   DocumentRoot C:/Sites/IISWeb/web
   ServerName test.www.innovativeis.com
   ErrorLog logs/iisweb-error.log
   TransferLog logs/iisweb-access.log
   DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.html
</VirtualHost>

Ken, is there anything I majorly missing here in deploying .jsp pages? OR there is a bug in my http server?

I really do appreciate your time and help on this issue, hopefully I can strive through the difficult and frustrating time.

Thanks again

John

Thank you very much

"Ken Hygh" <ken...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message news:3B78C4EC...@nc.rr.com...
Make sure that your JSP file is in IIWWeb's docroot.
Ken

Paul Ilechko

Aug 14, 2001, 3:50:36 PM8/14/01
No, it's the HTTP protocol version.

David Artus

Aug 14, 2001, 4:54:17 PM8/14/01

There usually isn't too much to do to get JSPs going.

I'd be inclined to create a new app server and servlet engine
with a completely separate document root (much of the confusion
is happening because the webserver is probably returning the
unprocessed content of the jsp to the browser - by having
a separate document root that the web server knows nothing
about we can remove one level of uncertainty.)

When creating your webapp ensure that you add a JSP processor
and also a file-serving servlet.

Place some sample html file and a jsp in the new document root.
Ensure that the content is unmistakably distinct from any other
versions of these files.

Then check that the plugin-config files reference the new webapp.

Then everything should work.

Ken Hygh

Aug 14, 2001, 7:10:34 PM8/14/01
Note that in neither case (looking at the access logs) was the content
of the JSP returned from the server to the browser - which would have
been a 200 response code instead of a 304. IIS is caching the result
and not passing the request to WAS - that's what 304 means. WAS is
serving the content of NEITHER request, IIS is doing it all. IE is
finding HTML and rendering it regardless of the returned mimetype.
Netscape is properly using the returned mimetype and rendering the
returned content as text.

Ken

John Young wrote:

> "Ken Hygh" <ken...@nc.rr.com <mailto:ken...@nc.rr.com>> wrote in

> message news:3B78C4EC...@nc.rr.com...
>
> Make sure that your JSP file is in IIWWeb's docroot.
> Ken
>
> John Young wrote:
>
>>Ken,
>>
>>1) I tested snoop servlet (http://localhost/servlet/snoop) and one
>>Enterprise bean, "Hitcount". They all worked fine, showing the "Snoop
>>Servlet - Request/Client Information" and the "Hitcount" pages. Just let
>>you know these files are under "Default Server-->Default Servlet
>>Engine-->default_app", not in my webapp, "IISWeb".
>>
>>2) Do you think if snoop servlet is working, that means WAS config work fine
>>for webapp, IISWeb?
>>
>>3) for your information, my webapp(IISWeb) was created standalone from the
>>"Default Server". I don't have any EJB ans servlet yet. I was trying to
>>use jsp pages.
>>
>>4) I compared the jsp 1.0 specificatiaon between "default_app" and
>>"iisweb_app". The only different is that there is an "invoker" which
>>"Enables Serving Servlets By Classname" in the "default_app", while
>>"iisweb_app" doesn't. I am not sur
>>e if this makes the dramatic difference.
>>
>>both have the same Servlet Class Name: "com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet"
>>

>>Please guide me through what I should do the next?
>>
>>Thanks
>>

>>John

John Young

Aug 15, 2001, 1:00:40 AM8/15/01
Ken, thanks for your valuable feedback

1) I did create a new app server, servlet engine, web-app and brand new
directory.and
2) creaed some new simple html line, and simple jsp. Publish them.

3) This times the access log did show the "....200 7703" response code as
the following , both IE and Netscape request did.
"127.0.0.1 - - [14/Aug/2001:21:28:27 -0700] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 7703"

4) But the browser result are
IE: shows the page content
Netscape: STILL shows the html code.

Ken, what do you think I should do the next?

Thanks

John

"Ken Hygh" <ken...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

John Young

Aug 15, 2001, 12:52:17 AM8/15/01
David, thanks for your feedback

1) I did create a new app server, servlet engine, web-app and brand new
directory.and
2) creaed some new simple html line, and simple jsp. Publish them.

3) This tims the access log did show the "....200 7703" response code as the

following , both IE and Netscape request did.
"127.0.0.1 - - [14/Aug/2001:21:28:27 -0700] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 7703"

4) But the browser result are
IE: shows the page content
Netscape: STILL shows the html code.

Now, David, what do you think? What should I focus to further trace and
debug?

Thanks

John

"David Artus" <art...@nospamuk.ibm.nospamcom> wrote in message

Ken Hygh

Aug 14, 2001, 10:40:40 PM8/14/01
What is the docroot of your webapp? What is the _exact_ URL you are
requesting?

John Young

Aug 15, 2001, 2:19:39 PM8/15/01
1) my document root is :
html pages: C:\jsptest\web
jsp pages: C:\jsptest\web
servlets: C:\jsptest\servlets

2) in the WAS configuration:
Web Application Web path: "/jsptest"
Document Root : "C:\jsptest\web"
Classpath: "C:\jsptest\servlets"

3) in the jsp 1.0 processor
Working Directory: " C:\jsptest\web"
Servlet Class Name: "com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet"

4) Exact URL Request: http://www.testjsp.com/index.jsp

IE access log: "127.0.0.1 - - [15/Aug/2001:10:53:17 -0700] "GET /
HTTP/1.1" 200 367"
page content: "This is jsp test page"
Netscape Access Log: "127.0.0.1 - - [15/Aug/2001:10:58:18 -0700] "GET /
HTTP/1.0" 200 -"

page content: " ALL html TAGS"

Thanks,

Sincerely,

John

"Ken Hygh" <ken...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

John Young

Aug 15, 2001, 2:23:19 PM8/15/01
Ken, here is the WAS tracefile log when I starated "JSP" Server:

8/15/01 10:46 AM : Command "JSP.start" running ...
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/__adminServer]: ADMS0008I: Starting server:
"JSP"
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/__adminServer]: ADMS0032I: Started server:
"JSP" (pid "2044")
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: SMTL0018I: DrAdmin available on port
1,050
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: IBM WebSphere Application Server - Web
Container. Copyright IBM Corp. 1998-2000
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: Servlet Specification Level: 2.2 -
WebSphere 3.5 Compatibility Mode
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: Supported JSP Specification Levels:
1.1, 1.0, 0.91
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: Loading group: "jsptest_app"
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]:
Servlet.cache.file."/dynacache.xml".not.found.Caching.is.disabled
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: SRVE0048I: Loading servlet: "Error
Reporting Facility"
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: SRVE0091I: [Servlet LOG]: "Error
Reporting Facility: init"
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: SRVE0130I: Servlet available for
service: "Error Reporting Facility"
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: SRVE0048I: Loading servlet: "JSP 1.0
Processor"
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: SRVE0091I: [Servlet LOG]: "JSP 1.0
Processor: init"
8/15/01 10:46 AM : AUDIT [YOUNG/JSP]: SRVE0130I: Servlet available for
service: "JSP 1.0 Processor"
8/15/01 10:46 AM : Command "JSP.start" completed successfully.

Thank you,

John

"Ken Hygh" <ken...@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

Paul Ilechko

Aug 15, 2001, 11:38:23 AM8/15/01
you really need to make your web server docroot different to your WAS docroot

David Artus

Aug 15, 2001, 12:43:06 PM8/15/01

I'm focusing on getting WebSphere to process that jsp. What Netscape
does with the answer is less interesting until we have got that going.

So, to confirm the state of play:

1). you now have a jsp and html file sitting in the docroot of your
webapp, and that docroot is nowhere near the webserver's docroot.

2). You can point a browser at these files and see a (possibly defective)
rendering of the content.

To test this: Stop the app server (no need to stop all of websphere)
and point the browser at the content again. You should get a failure
(perhaps you need to clear caches or whatever to get the failure).
Failure is good!

Assuming you do:

modify the jsp to include a scriptlet such as this

<%= (new java.util.Date()).toLocaleString() %>

and re-request the jsp. If you jsp processor is working then this
scriptlet will be evaluated. In which case are left with the display
problem. Otherwise I'm getting a little confused.

Ken Hygh

Aug 15, 2001, 12:33:05 PM8/15/01
Websphere isn't serving index.jsp. In order to have WebSphere serve
JSP, you need to request http://www.testjsp.com/jsptest/index.jsp.
index.jsp needs to be in c:\jsptest\web\index.jsp

Ken

John Young

Aug 15, 2001, 5:24:14 PM8/15/01
Paul,
1) could you please give me some detailed insight on the "web server docroot

different to your WAS docroot"
2) Here is what I have in in http server conf file for the virtualhost:

<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
DocumentRoot "C:/jsptest/web"
ServerName www.jsptest.com
ErrorLog logs/jsp-error.log
TransferLog logs/jsp-access.log
DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.html
</VirtualHost>

3) my web publishing target:

html pages: C:\jsptest\web
jsp pages: C:\jsptest\web
servlets: C:\jsptest\servlets

4) in the WAS configuration:

Web Application Web path: "/jsptest"
Document Root : "C:\jsptest\web"
Classpath: "C:\jsptest\servlets"

5) in the jsp 1.0 processor

Working Directory: " C:\jsptest\web"
Servlet Class Name: "com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet"

I really appreciate your feedback. I have this jsp "trauma" for almost a
week now.

Sincerely,

John

"Paul Ilechko" <paul.i...@bms.com> wrote in message

John Young

Aug 15, 2001, 5:38:08 PM8/15/01
Ken, Apprecate your feedback. This time I got something different as the
following

1) when I put this request in http://www.jsptest.com/jsptest/web/index.jsp

(IE) access log:
127.0.0.1 - - [15/Aug/2001:14:28:05 -0700] "GET /jsptest/web/index.jsp
HTTP/1.1" 404 10309
error log: No msg

(Netscape) access log:
127.0.0.1 - - [15/Aug/2001:14:32:11 -0700] "GET /jsptest/web/index.jsp
HTTP/1.0" 404 10606
ErrorLog: No msg

2) Both request have the following error in the browser:

At least, I feel that I am making some progress.

What Do you think I should do the next please?

Sincerely,

John

A recursive error was detected.
The server cannot use specified error page. Please check the application
error-path.

Original Error:
Error Message: [JSP 1.0 Processor] reported an error
Error Code: 404
Target Servlet: JSP 1.0 Processor
Error Stack:

----
Root Error-1: [JSP 1.0 Processor] reported an error

com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppErrorReport: [JSP 1.0 Processor]
reported an error
at javax.servlet.ServletException.<init>(ServletException.java:107)
at
com.ibm.websphere.servlet.error.ServletErrorReport.<init>(ServletErrorReport
.java:31)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppErrorReport.<init>(WebAppErrorReport.jav
a:19)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppDispatcherResponse.sendError(WebAppDispa
tcherResponse.java:100)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppDispatcherResponse.sendError(WebAppDispa
tcherResponse.java:78)
at
com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServlet.java:261
)
at com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:863)
at com.sun.jsp.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:773)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doService(ServletManager
.java:626)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLifecycl
eServlet.java:160)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleServle
t.java:287)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifecycle
Servlet.java:105)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstance.service(ServletManager.java:36
0)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(ServletMan
ager.java:775)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletManag
er.java:701)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(W
ebAppRequestDispatcher.java:478)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequest
Dispatcher.java:234)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequestD
ispatcher.java:138)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvoker.
java:77)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(CachedIn
vocation.java:67)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(ServletRequ
estProcessor.java:155)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEListener
.java:300)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.SQEventListenerImp$ServiceRunnable.run(SQ
EventListenerImp.java:230)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.SQEventListenerImp.notifySQEvent(SQEventL
istenerImp.java:104)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.serverqueue.SQEventSource.notifyEvent(SQE
ventSource.java:212)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.serverqueue.SQWrapperEventSource$SelectRu
nnable.notifyService(SQWrapperEventSource.java:353)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.serverqueue.SQWrapperEventSource$SelectRu
nnable.run(SQWrapperEventSource.java:220)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.outofproc.OutOfProcThread$CtlRunnable.run
(OutOfProcThread.java:248)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:481)

Recursive Error:
Error Message: No target servlet configured for uri: /jsptest/
Error Code: 0
Target Servlet: null
Error Stack:

----
Root Error-1: No target servlet configured for uri: /jsptest/

com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.NoTargetForURIException: No target servlet
configured for uri: /jsptest/
at javax.servlet.ServletException.<init>(ServletException.java:107)
at
com.ibm.websphere.servlet.error.ServletErrorReport.<init>(ServletErrorReport
.java:31)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppErrorReport.<init>(WebAppErrorReport.jav
a:19)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.NoTargetForURIException.<init>(NoTargetForURIE
xception.java:10)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcherInfo.getTargetServlet(W
ebAppRequestDispatcherInfo.java:104)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispatch(W
ebAppRequestDispatcher.java:385)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppRequest
Dispatcher.java:234)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.include(WebAppRequestD
ispatcher.java:142)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebApp.sendError(WebApp.java:608)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppDispatcherResponse.sendError(WebAppDispa
tcherResponse.java:107)
[...]

Wrapped Error-2: No target servlet configured for uri: /jsptest/

com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppErrorReport: No target servlet
configured for uri: /jsptest/
at javax.servlet.ServletException.<init>(ServletException.java:161)
at
com.ibm.websphere.servlet.error.ServletErrorReport.<init>(ServletErrorReport
.java:54)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppErrorReport.<init>(WebAppErrorReport.jav
a:42)
at com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebApp.sendError(WebApp.java:642)
[...]

Paul Ilechko

Aug 15, 2001, 2:46:31 PM8/15/01
Thats not what Ken told you to do. The correct URL, based on the info you
provided, is http://www.jsptest.com/jsptest/index.jsp

- this is assuming that the web path for your jsp processor is <your virtual
host>/jsptest/*.jsp

Paul.

Paul Ilechko

Aug 15, 2001, 2:38:33 PM8/15/01
Like I said, both your web server and your appserver have c:/jsptest/web as the
doc root. This is not a good thing. This is not yor main problem, as Ken pointed
out you are using the wrong URL to request your jsp from websphere, but because
your jsp is in your webserver's docroot it is sending the jsp source to the
browser anyway, without websphere knowing anything about it.

David Artus

Aug 15, 2001, 6:32:36 PM8/15/01

This is at least one confusion. You should not be adjusting
you web server's docroot for this new webapp/appserver.

We want there to be no possibility of thye webserver retuning
the jsp itself. Instead we want the websphere plugin to pass
the request to websphere. All the tests I have been suggesting
have been targetted at verifying that you are achiveing that
goal.

The webserver need know nothing at all about c:\jsptest\web
all it needs to know is that request of the form

http://localhost/jstpest/my.jsp

should be passed on to websphere.

I have yet to see any evidence that you know this is happening.
The test I suggest should verify this.