how to fix EJB Communication port for WAS v5

Geert Pante

Jun 26, 2003, 6:01:51 AM6/26/03
Hi there,

We have two WAS v5 Servers that communicate using remote EJB lookups.

We need to put a static firewall between them, but we can't figure how to determine which port the
communication uses. Security is enabled, using LTPA as authentication mechanism, and both SAS and CSI as
protocol, so I suppose communication runs over some SAS or CSIv2 secured port. We choses fixed end points for
these services at both servers, but there seems to be another port that gets chosen somehow.

In the admin console, we set up these end points for the Application server:
BOOTSTRAP_ADDRESS = 2809 (default)
CSIV2_SSL_MUTUALAUTH_LISTENER_ADDRESS = 7777 (default 0)
CSIV2_SSL_SERVERAUTH_LISTENER_ADDRESS = 7778 (default 0)
DRS_CLIENT_ADDRESS = 7873 (default)
JMSSERVER_DIRECT_ADDRESS = 5559 (default)
JMSSERVER_QUEUED_ADDRESS = 5558 (default)
SAS_SSL_SERVERAUTH_LISTENER_ADDRESS = 7779 (default 0)
SOAP_CONNECTOR_ADDRESS = 8880 (default)

We have opened all these ports at the firewall, but when we start the server, it still chooses a port
sowewhere between 39000 and 49000 that it uses for EJB Communication, that is, if we block this port, we get
the following exception on a EJB lookup. When we opened port 41990 on the firewall in this case, everything
went ok until we restarted the remote server, and then port 42053 was used:

===============================Begin stacktrace===========================
javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException: A communication failure occurred while attempting to obtain an
initial context using the provider url: "corbaloc:iiop:10.100.2.252:2809". Make sure that the host and port
information is correct and that the server identified by the provider url is a running name server. If no
port number is specified, the default port number 2809 is used. Other possible causes include the network
environment or workstation network configuration. Root exception is
org.omg.CORBA.TRANSIENT: Connection timed out:host=therejb1.test.screening.be,port=41990 minor code: 4942F301
completed: No
at com.ibm.CORBA.transport.TransportConnectionBase.connect(TransportConnectionBase.java:352)
at com.ibm.ws.orbimpl.transport.WSTransport.getConnection(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.CORBA.transport.TransportBase.getConnection(TransportBase.java:158)
[...]
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtx.getContext(WsnInitCtx.java:102)
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtx.getContextIfNull(WsnInitCtx.java:408)
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtx.lookup(WsnInitCtx.java:131)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:359)
at [...]
========================End stacktrace ==========================================
Is there any other system property that can determine the portnumber, or some custom property for the server?
--
[ Geert Pante, Software Development, Fit IT nv. ]
[ Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur. ]

Sylvain Noyon

Jul 1, 2003, 8:32:53 AM7/1/03
You have to set up the end point "ORB_LISTENER_ADDRESS" also for the
application server.

Anders

Nov 11, 2003, 4:36:59 PM11/11/03
Hi Geert,

I'm very rusty on this subject but isn't so that if you want to 'share'
EJB over several machines -- that all should use the same ORB for
lookup/JNDI (Boot_Strap)?
I can't for the life of me figure out why this answer popped up in my
head and even less remember how it's done but I thought I might as well
share this 'gut' feeling with you.

Hope it helps