Error while deploying the application

pch...@excentus.com

Jan 10, 2007, 6:06:38 PM1/10/07
Hi ,

Recently I have done an upgrade of WAS from 6.0 to 6.0.2.17 .
After that when I am trying to do the depolyment through the console , the deployment fails with the below error.

Please let me know how this can be fixed ?
The roor cause of the error is
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.ibm.ws.management.configservice.WorkspaceHelper.getContext(WorkspaceHelper.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.websphere.management.application.client.ResourceValidationHelper._addObjectsToTbl(ResourceValidationHelper.java:2323)

[1/10/07 16:19:46:682 CST] 0000005c ServletWrappe E SRVE0068E: Could not invoke the service() method on servlet action. Exception thrown : javax.servlet.ServletException
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processException(RequestProcessor.java:545)
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:486)
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:275)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1486)
at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:528)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:763)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:1572)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java:1521)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:136)
at com.ibm.ws.console.core.servlet.WSCUrlFilter.continueStoringTaskState(WSCUrlFilter.java:309)
at com.ibm.ws.console.core.servlet.WSCUrlFilter.doFilter(WSCUrlFilter.java:185)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.FilterInstanceWrapper.doFilter(FilterInstanceWrapper.java:142)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:121)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.filter.WebAppFilterChain._doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:82)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:759)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.servlet.CacheServletWrapper.handleRequest(CacheServletWrapper.java:89)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.WebContainer.handleRequest(WebContainer.java:1924)
at com.ibm.ws.webcontainer.channel.WCChannelLink.ready(WCChannelLink.java:98)
at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLink.handleDiscrimination(HttpInboundLink.java:472)
at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpInboundLink.handleNewInformation(HttpInboundLink.java:411)
at com.ibm.ws.http.channel.inbound.impl.HttpICLReadCallback.complete(HttpICLReadCallback.java:101)
at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.requestComplete(WorkQueueManager.java:566)
at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.attemptIO(WorkQueueManager.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager.workerRun(WorkQueueManager.java:952)
at com.ibm.ws.tcp.channel.impl.WorkQueueManager$Worker.run(WorkQueueManager.java:1039)
at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java(Compiled Code))
---- Begin backtrace for Nested Throwables
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.ibm.ws.management.configservice.WorkspaceHelper.getContext(WorkspaceHelper.java(Compiled Code))
at com.ibm.websphere.management.application.client.ResourceValidationHelper._addObjectsToTbl(ResourceValidationHelper.java:2323)
at com.ibm.websphere.management.application.client.ResourceValidationHelper._getResourceObjectsWithRefKeysForOneScope(ResourceValidationHelper.java:723)
at com.ibm.websphere.management.application.client.ResourceValidationHelper._getResourceObjectsWithRefKeys(ResourceValidationHelper.java:637)
at com.ibm.websphere.management.application.client.ResourceValidationHelper._taskResourceValidation(ResourceValidationHelper.java:2050)
at com.ibm.websphere.management.application.client.ResourceValidationHelper._taskResourceValidation(ResourceValidationHelper.java:1963)
at com.ibm.websphere.management.application.client.ResourceValidationHelper._taskResourceValidation(ResourceValidationHelper.java:859)

Mark....@avnet.com

Jan 12, 2007, 5:50:31 PM1/12/07
I am seeing the exact same behavior after upgrading to 6.0.2.17

Ben_

Jan 12, 2007, 6:54:31 PM1/12/07
Opening a PMR is probably the best option...

Russel...@nileassociates.com

Jan 16, 2007, 4:12:24 PM1/16/07
We backed out to 6.0.2.13 (we jumped from .13 to .17) and that corrected the problem, but now we don't have .17. We will need to re-install this later in order to integrate ProcessServer, but hopefully it will be fixed by then.

llau...@csc.com

Jan 18, 2007, 10:37:55 AM1/18/07
We're seeing the exact same error.

I believe APAR PK37272 was opened for this error (I have just opened a PMR to track a possible fix).
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21253756

wsadmin is no solution for us - same problem arises as in GUI (nullpointer exception)...

/Lars

llau...@csc.com

Jan 18, 2007, 12:12:50 PM1/18/07

llau...@csc.com

Jan 19, 2007, 4:01:29 AM1/19/07
Found a temporary workaround.

Disabling validation using wsadmin deploy process circumvents the problem
(setting '-validateinstall off' flag of AdminApp.install() method).

/Lars

llau...@csc.com

Jan 19, 2007, 5:28:24 AM1/19/07
Just to keep you posted on this problem (is anyone still reading this?), I received a jar from IBM support with reverted validation classes. This workaround has fixed the problem for now.

Still awaiting a permanent fix for the referenced APAR PK37272.

/Lars

Mark....@avnet.com

Jan 19, 2007, 9:58:03 AM1/19/07
Yes, that is correct the jar that IBM gives you does fix the console problem, but we are getting errors now with wsadmin/ws_ant installs of applications. I have updated my pmr with IBM to have them look into these errors.

Mark....@avnet.com

Jan 19, 2007, 10:26:59 AM1/19/07
Will try that so see if that works, Thanks.

llau...@csc.com

Jan 19, 2007, 10:21:25 AM1/19/07
Strange..

I'm actually using wsadmin and the reverted.jar did solve the problem.

Have you tried disabling deployment validation, by specifying the '-validateinstall off' parameter to AdminApp.install?

/Lars