service.properties & servlet.properties files disappeared

rl...@my-dejanews.com

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
We had to restart our WAS 2.02 under Solaris
server, when we came back up we got the following
errors in the jvm_stderr.log file:

IBM WebSphere Application Server WARNING: Cannot
load service servletservice: No service class
specified.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No service
class specified
at
com.sun.server.ServiceManager.createService(Compil
ed Code)
at
com.sun.server.ServiceManager.loadService(Compiled
Code)
at
com.sun.server.ServiceManager.loadServices(Compile
d Code)
at
com.sun.server.ServiceManager.startServices(Compil
ed Code)
at
com.sun.server.ServerProcess.main(Compiled Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.ServerProcessThread.run(Com
piled Code)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)
IBM WebSphere Application Server WARNING: Service
servletservice cannot be started because it is not
installed in this server.
WebSphere Exception: Cannot find property
defaultNameServer.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Cannot find
property defaultNameServer.
at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled
Code)
at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled
Code)
at
java.lang.RuntimeException.<init>(Compiled Code)
at
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException.<init>(Compiled
Code)
at
com.sun.server.PropertyConfig.setProperties(Compil
ed Code)
at
com.sun.server.PropertyConfig.setProperty(Compiled
Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.controller.Controller.initNameServ
iceConfigFile(Compiled Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.controller.Controller.init(Compile
d Code)
at
com.ibm.servlet.controller.ControllerService.run(C
ompiled Code)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Compiled Code)
WebSphere Exception: Could not start the
servletservice

we traced this to missing files service.properties
and servlet.properties, there were .bak files in
the directory, we copied them back as the
.properties files and we were up.

Our ADSM backup log showed them being there as of
05/22/99.

Question:
Has anyone seen this behavior, is there a fix?

Dennis Pagano

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
There is a hints/tips file on the websphere site for troubleshooting
websphere problems.

http://www.software.ibm.com/webservers/appserv/hintstips.html

There is an entry in it titled:
"I got an error about loading and starting the
servletservice"

It mentions that if you don't stop the app server process when stopping
the web server (and running out of process) then you may find the
service.properties file disappear.

I hope that helps. If you find out why that makes the file disappear,
or why the other one disappears, please let me know.

Dennis Pagano
Noospherics Technologies Inc.

rl...@my-dejanews.com

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
We stop the servers via a shell script which stops the webserver then
the appserver. Maybe it is a timing thing?

Thanks for your help.

Pete Shifflett
In article <374AC375...@noospherics.com>,