Multiple Instances - single server

Dave Rodecap

Mar 18, 2003, 4:42:51 PM3/18/03
I have a client who wants to run multiple instances of WAS 4.0.5
(Solaris) on a single system.

Here is the architecture:

instance 1 only has servlets and JSP's deployed on it
instance 2 has only EJB's deployed (Stateless Session and BMP EJB's)
instance 3 has only EJB's deployed (Stateless Session and BMP EJB's)

instance 1, 2 and 3 are 3 distinct installations of WebSphere, each in
their own administrative domain.

A servlet on instance 1 calls a stateless session bean on instance2.
The session bean on instance 2 may call a BMP on instance 2 and
another session bean on instance3. The session beans on instance 3
make calls to CORBA services.

The problem I'm experiencing is that the Servlet(instance 1) is unable
to resolve the session bean on instance 2. The exception is:

[3/18/03 14:08:40:903 CST] 41bdbcd3 SystemOut U 03/18/2003
14:08:40 Service Server: localhost
[3/18/03 14:08:40:904 CST] 41bdbcd3 SystemOut U 03/18/2003
14:08:40 Service Port: 920
[3/18/03 14:08:40:904 CST] 41bdbcd3 SystemOut U 03/18/2003
14:08:40 Found context in hash
[3/18/03 14:08:40:904 CST] 41bdbcd3 SystemOut U 03/18/2003
14:08:40 Context Name in
NamespacedomainRoots/UnspecifiedDomainName/legacyRoot
[3/18/03 14:08:41:045 CST] 41bdbcd3 Helpers W NMSV0610I: A
NamingException is being thrown from a javax.naming.Context
implementation. Details follow:
Context implementation: com.ibm.ejs.ns.jndi.CNContextImpl
Context method: lookup
Context name: domainRoots/UnspecifiedDomainName/legacyRoot
Target name: RMI/com/xxxxxxx/security/LoginSessionBean
Other data:
Exception stack trace: javax.naming.NamingException: Error during
resolve. Root exception is org.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXIST: minor
code: 0 completed: No
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ExtendedServerDelegate.getServant(ExtendedServerDelegate.java:127)
at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.newObjRef(CDRInputStream.java:921)
at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.read_Object(CDRInputStream.java:881)
at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.CDRInputStream.read_Object(CDRInputStream.java:823)
at org.omg.CORBA.ObjectHelper.read(ObjectHelper.java:87)
at com.ibm.WsnOptimizedNaming._NamingContextStub.resolve_complete_info(_NamingContextStub.java:261)
at com.ibm.ejs.ns.jndi.CNContextImpl.cosResolve(CNContextImpl.java:3116)
at com.ibm.ejs.ns.jndi.CNContextImpl.doLookup(CNContextImpl.java:1440)
at com.ibm.ejs.ns.jndi.CNContextImpl.lookup(CNContextImpl.java:1130)
at com.ibm.ws.naming.util.WsnInitCtx.lookup(WsnInitCtx.java:128)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:359)
at com.xxxxxxx.servlets.EJBRefs.initLoginSessionHome(EJBRefs.java:564)
at com.xxxxxxx.servlets.EJBRefs.getLoginSession(EJBRefs.java:575)
at com.xxxxxxx.servlets.member.LoginAction.executeAction(LoginAction.java:153)
at com.xxxxxxx.struts.ESIAction.execute(ESIAction.java:30)
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:446)
at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:266)

The kicker of this whole problem is that this application runs when it
is spread across 3 physically separate systems, but not when all
instances are on the same box.

I have made sure that their are no conflicts with the bootstrap ports.

Any ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave Rodecap

Daphne

Mar 19, 2003, 4:02:39 PM3/19/03
Are you sure that you are using the correct port to lookup the session
bean? You need to use the port that corresponds to the bootstrap
server of the WAS instance with the session bean you're trying to
access.

Why are you using three different installations of WebSphere on one
machine? Why don't you use separate Application Servers within one
instance of WebSphere? Then you can avoid port juggling, and only
have to run one Nanny and Administrative server, instead of three.

Good luck,
Daphne

daro...@yahoo.com (Dave Rodecap) wrote in message news:<d123b64a.03031...@posting.google.com>...

> I have a client who wants to run multiple instances of WAS 4.0.5
> (Solaris) on a single system.
>
> Here is the architecture:
>
> instance 1 only has servlets and JSP's deployed on it
> instance 2 has only EJB's deployed (Stateless Session and BMP EJB's)
> instance 3 has only EJB's deployed (Stateless Session and BMP EJB's)
>
> instance 1, 2 and 3 are 3 distinct installations of WebSphere, each in
> their own administrative domain.
>
> A servlet on instance 1 calls a stateless session bean on instance2.
> The session bean on instance 2 may call a BMP on instance 2 and
> another session bean on instance3. The session beans on instance 3
> make calls to CORBA services.
>
> The problem I'm experiencing is that the Servlet(instance 1) is unable
> to resolve the session bean on instance 2. The exception is:

Excerpt of error message/big, nasty, WebSphere stack trace

> 14:08:40 Service Server: localhost

> 14:08:40 Service Port: 920

> Exception stack trace: javax.naming.NamingException: Error during
> resolve. Root exception is org.omg.CORBA.OBJECT_NOT_EXIST: minor
> code: 0 completed: No

Dave Rodecap

Mar 20, 2003, 11:07:14 AM3/20/03
Daphne, thanks for your feedback. I agree that your approach would
have been much prefered to what I'm working with now, but I was handed
the architecture and asked to make it work, right or wrong.... Does
anyone know if this is even a supported or possible configuration?
Seems like it "should" work.......

Dave

oxg

Mar 22, 2003, 7:32:12 PM3/22/03
daro...@yahoo.com (Dave Rodecap) wrote in message news:<d123b64a.03032...@posting.google.com>...

this configuration should work just fine, however you should make sure
your initalContext is pointing to the right server.