WAS 6.0 and Struts Tag Support

Jeff Marendo

Dec 5, 2005, 4:35:25 PM12/5/05
Does anyone know if WAS 6.0 supports Struts 1.1 core tags (for example, those contained in the struts-html.tld file) and others in the extended tag library (for example, those contained in the struts-html-el.tld file)?

We are in the process of trying to get a J2EE 1.3 application that has been converted recently to J2EE 1.4 to run successfully on a WAS 6.0 server (installed on AIX). We've had problems at deployment time and at runtime. The most recent problems were seen at runtime after I updated the JSTL components to version 1.1.2, which appear to be the latest that will work with the JSP 2.0 specification. Here are some snippets of the errors that we saw in the standard.out file from our application server when one of our pages tried to compile:

SRVE0026E: [Servlet Error]-[<null>]: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java(Compiled Code))
at org.apache.strutsel.taglib.html.ELImgTagBeanInfo.class$(ELImgTagBeanInfo.java:81)
<snip>
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger does not implement Log
at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:532)
<snip>
.. 41 more
<snip>
SRVE0026E: [Servlet Error]-[org/apache/strutsel/taglib/html/ELImgTag]: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/strutsel/taglib/html/ELImgTag
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java(Compiled Code))
at org.apache.strutsel.taglib.html.ELImgTagBeanInfo.class$(ELImgTagBeanInfo.java:81)
<snip>

At first glance it seems like these are just compilation issues, but I suspect that they might be related to:

a) Jakarta Commons Logging usage (we utilize Log4j as our underlying logger)
b) Struts tag support in WAS 6.0
c) Maybe something related to how the classloaders work in WAS 6.0 and how our application is set up to work given that context

In any event, if anyone has any ideas/suggestions, by all means, please advise!

By the way, does the JspBatchCompiler program require our EAR to be up and running on a target server in order to use it?

Thanks to all in advance.

Jeff