EjbDeploy throws NullPointer exception in websphere application server 6?

tate....@wachovia.com

Feb 13, 2006, 1:46:49 PM2/13/06
Hello all,
I am having trouble deploying an application in Websphere6. I build the ear file and when I attempt to deploy it I get an RMIC error:

Invoking RMIC.

RMIC caught the following exception during processing

at java.util.Vector.get(Vector.java:711)
at com.ibm.tools.rmic.iiop.CompoundType.addAllMethods(CompoundType.java:1369)
at com.ibm.tools.rmic.iiop.CompoundType.addAllMethods(CompoundType.java:1279)
at com.ibm.tools.rmic.iiop.CompoundType.addAllMethods(CompoundType.java:1279)
at com.ibm.tools.rmic.iiop.ValueType.initialize(ValueType.java:311)
at com.ibm.tools.rmic.iiop.ValueType.forValue(ValueType.java:130)

I've posted recently about this error, however I feel this may warrant a different thread because in further attempting diagnostics I attempted to manually run EjbDeploy against the .ear file on the appserver. When I attempt a simple "EjbDeploy MyEar.ear tmp MyEarOut.ear" I get:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.ibm.etools.application.operations.EARImportDataModel.getAllUtilities(EARImportDataModel.java:287)
at com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy.batch.plugin.BatchExtension.createEarProject(BatchExtension.java:1238)
at com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy.batch.plugin.BatchExtension.runEarDeploy(BatchExtension.java:307)
at com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy.batch.plugin.BatchExtension.access$0(BatchExtension.java:304)
at com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy.batch.plugin.BatchExtension$RunDeploy.run(BatchExtension.java:287)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1673)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.run(Workspace.java:1693)
at com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy.batch.plugin.BatchExtension$RunDeploy.execute(BatchExtension.java:271)
at com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy.batch.plugin.BatchExtension.run(BatchExtension.java:234)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:335)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
at com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy.batch.impl.BootLoaderLoader.run(BootLoaderLoader.java:389)
at com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy.batch.impl.BatchDeploy.execute(BatchDeploy.java:144)
at com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy.EJBDeploy.execute(EJBDeploy.java:83)
at com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy.EJBDeploy.main(EJBDeploy.java:313)

Now, I think a NullPointer exception is almost always a programmer error. I wish it was mine, but I think this may be a bug in websphere6 being tripped? Has anyone else encountered this behavior and can you recommend any strategies for me?

Randy Schnier

Feb 14, 2006, 3:59:35 PM2/14/06
It appears the EJBDeploy tool within WAS 6 may have a bug. I'd suggest
opening a PMR with IBM Support.

As a workaround, you can run your EJBs deployed with WAS 5 under WAS 6,
with no modifications or redeployment necessary.