IllegalStateException: Illegal operation while committing inside the session bean

Genna

Jan 22, 2002, 1:22:07 AM1/22/02

I have a stateless session bean that updates database via JDBC. The
method is marked as TX_NOT_SUPPORTED. I retrieve connection from
connection pool, set autocommit to false, perform update and then
commit. It works fine in Visual Age, but throws exception in WAS:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Illegal operation
at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Native Method)
at java.lang.Throwable.fillInStackTrace(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.RuntimeException.<init>(Compiled Code)
at java.lang.IllegalStateException.<init>(IllegalStateException.java:45)
at com.ibm.ejs.cm.pool.ConnectO.commit(ConnectO.java:1200)
at com.ibm.ejs.cm.proxy.ConnectionProxy.commit(ConnectionProxy.java:480)
at com.nag.leavemanager.gdw.ejb.po.GDWStatementCache.commit(Compiled
Code)
at com.nag.leavemanager.gdw.ejb.po.GDWUpdateSBBean.update(Compiled
Code)
at com.nag.leavemanager.gdw.ejb.po.EJSRemoteGDWUpdateSB.update(EJSRemoteGDWUpdateSB.java:57)
at com.nag.leavemanager.gdw.ejb.po._EJSRemoteGDWUpdateSB_Tie._invoke(_EJSRemoteGDWUpdateSB_Tie.java:98)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ExtendedServerDelegate.dispatch(Compiled Code)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ORB.process(Compiled Code)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.WorkerThread.run(Compiled Code)
at com.ibm.ejs.oa.pool.ThreadPool$PooledThread.run(Compiled Code)

Any ideas?

My environment is WAS 3.5.4 and DB2 v7.1.0.51 both on Solaris

Thank you

Joan _Trench

Jan 30, 2002, 11:41:16 AM1/30/02
Hi Genna,

I've read in the last days the question that you threw in Google's
ibm.software.websphere.application-server newsgroup

I am developing in Visual Age for Java 4.0 (enterprise edition) and I
have the same problem than you: session beans that update databases
via JDBC and when they commit transactions the System throws an
IllegalStateException from
com.ibm.ejs.cm.pool.ConnectO.commit(ConnectO.java:1200). I haven't
been able to replicate the issue with IBM WebSphere Advanced 3.5.4 PTF
40119.02.

I was wondering if you have reached the solution at this time for your
problem.

And if so, would you mind to share any information with me?

Regards

Joan Trench

Genna

Jan 30, 2002, 5:19:42 PM1/30/02
Joan,

The usual cause of that problem is the wrong value for transaction
attribute of your seesion bean metheod. The method on the session
bean that you are calling must have transaction attribute set to
"TX_NOT_SUPPORTED". However in my case it was set properly but for
whatever reason it was ignored by WebSphere. I have "fixed" the
problem by redeploying the bean.

Genna