javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: certificate expired

skola...@fisa.nyc.gov

Sep 9, 2005, 9:15:03 AM9/9/05
Hi All,

Need some help on using the JDK provided by IBM in websphere 5.1, am trying to run a simple test java program.. and it throws me an exception...

java TestConn

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: certificate expired

at com.ibm.jsse.bs.a(Unknown Source)

at com.ibm.jsse.bs.startHandshake(Unknown Source)

at com.ibm.net.ssl.www.protocol.https.b.o(Unknown Source)

at com.ibm.net.ssl.www.protocol.https.q.connect(Unknown Source)

at com.ibm.net.ssl.www.protocol.https.t.connect(Unknown Source)

at TestConn.main(TestConn.java:14)

My TestConn.java has the following few lines.. in that..

import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;

public class TestConn
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{

try {
URL url = new URL("https://abc.xyz.net/live");
URLConnection urlCon = url.openConnection();
urlCon.connect();
Object o = urlCon.getContent();

}
catch (Exception e)
{
//sumVO.setError("Bad URL syntax");
e.printStackTrace();
//log.debug(e.fillInStackTrace());
//return sumVO;
}

}
}

i run..windown 2003 with the following version of Websphere

Installed Product
Name IBM WebSphere Application Server
Version 5.1.1.2

Installed Product
Name IBM WebSphere SDK
Version 1.4.2
ID JDK

Installed Product
Name IBM WebSphere Business Integration Server Foundation
Version 5.1.0
ID PME

Thanks for your help.

kolagotla

Paul Ilechko

Sep 9, 2005, 9:24:17 AM9/9/05
skola...@fisa.nyc.gov wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Need some help on using the JDK provided by IBM in websphere 5.1, am trying to run a simple test java program.. and it throws me an exception...
>

> java TestConn
>
> javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: certificate expired
>
> at com.ibm.jsse.bs.a(Unknown Source)
>
> at com.ibm.jsse.bs.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
>
> at com.ibm.net.ssl.www.protocol.https.b.o(Unknown Source)
>
> at com.ibm.net.ssl.www.protocol.https.q.connect(Unknown Source)
>
> at com.ibm.net.ssl.www.protocol.https.t.connect(Unknown Source)
>
> at TestConn.main(TestConn.java:14)
>

> My TestConn.java has the following few lines.. in that..
>
> import java.net.*;
> import java.io.*;
>

> public class TestConn
> {
> public static void main(String[] args)
> {
>

> try {
> URL url = new URL("https://abc.xyz.net/live");
> URLConnection urlCon = url.openConnection();
> urlCon.connect();
> Object o = urlCon.getContent();

You're trying to use HTTPS, do you have a JSSE provider set up correctly?

skola...@fisa.nyc.gov

Sep 9, 2005, 9:39:06 AM9/9/05
Hey Paul,

I have my JSSE setup, Can you pls. verify me how do i confirm.. am not a developer myself, am just administering the box..

kolagotla

Paul Ilechko

Sep 9, 2005, 9:47:29 AM9/9/05
skola...@fisa.nyc.gov wrote:

Setting up a JSSE Repertoire for WebSphere should be fully documented in
the WAS info center. Setting one up for a standalone Java program is not
a WebSphere issue, but you should be able to Google for information
fairly easily.

skola...@fisa.nyc.gov

Sep 9, 2005, 10:16:10 AM9/9/05
Paul,

JSSE on the websphere looks like has been seup.. and can you help me out with this if you have any info.... am totally stuckup..

kolagotla

Paul Ilechko

Sep 9, 2005, 1:04:00 PM9/9/05
skola...@fisa.nyc.gov wrote:

OK, but it looked like you were trying to run a standalone java program
which would not use WebSphere's JSSE setup ...

skola...@fisa.nyc.gov

Sep 9, 2005, 1:08:32 PM9/9/05
Paul,

am trying to run the standalone program.. from the bin directory of java folder in the websphere installation. one more strange thing.. is same program works perfectly on some other box..

kolagotla

Paul Ilechko

Sep 9, 2005, 1:16:18 PM9/9/05
skola...@fisa.nyc.gov wrote:

Running it from the WAS JDK bin directory doesn't mean it uses WAS JSSE
setup - it doesn't.

There is info here about IBM JDKs, including JSSE:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/security/142/

What exactly are you trying to prove, anyway?

jie...@yahoo.com

Aug 29, 2007, 8:40:58 PM8/29/07
Hi skolagotla,

Did you have a solution for this problem?

I got the same problem - javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: certificate expired. My client application sends request to outside server using HTTPS POST. The same application works on some box, but fails on some boxes. The application runs on WAS 5.1.

Thanks,

Jie

Paul Ilechko

Aug 29, 2007, 9:05:42 PM8/29/07

looks fairly self-explanatory ... what is there not to understand about
"certificate expired" ?

jie...@yahoo.com

Aug 30, 2007, 1:50:46 AM8/30/07
Thanks for quick response. Actually the certificate is valid (2007 - 2010). I can use the certificate to connect the same server at some WAS 5.1 server and my laptop. But I got exception on other WAS 5.1 boxes. Please advice.

Thanks,
Jie

Paul Ilechko

Aug 30, 2007, 8:24:55 AM8/30/07

Turn on tracing, see exactly what is causing the problem.