Xoftware Xserver configuration issue with adminclient

Nancy Brown

Nov 5, 2001, 11:05:54 AM11/5/01

I am running WAS 3.5.4 on AIX and can successfully run the adminclient
remotely using Exceed on my Windows 2000 server. I do this by opening
a secure shell (SSH1) on the AIX server, exporting the display and
then simply invoking adminclient.sh. When I try the same thing to a
Windows NT 4.0 server that has the Ntemanage Xoftware Xserver, I get
the following error:

This command may be issued as: adminclient <host address <port
number>>
This is new console
Error loading L&F: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Raster
IntegerInterleavedRaster: width = 64 height = 64 #Bands = 3
#DataElements 1 xOff = 0 yOff = 0 dataOffset[0] 0 is incompatible with
ColorModel DirectColorModel: rmask=ff gmask=ff00 bmask=ff0000 amask=0
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Raster IntegerInterleavedRaster:
width = 64 height = 64 #Bands = 3 #DataElements 1 xOff = 0 yOff = 0
dataOffset[0] 0 is incompatible with ColorModel DirectColorModel:
rmask=ff gmask=ff00 bmask=ff0000 amask=0
at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(BufferedImage.java:531)
at sun.awt.image.OffScreenImage.<init>(OffScreenImage.java:73)
at sun.awt.motif.MComponentPeer.createImage(MComponentPeer.java:317)
at java.awt.Component.createImage(Component.java:2125)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.BumpBuffer.<init>(MetalBumps.java:154)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalBumps.createBuffer(MetalBumps.java:67)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalBumps.setBumpColors(MetalBumps.java:102)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalBumps.<init>(MetalBumps.java:59)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalBorders$ToolBarBorder.<init>(MetalBorders.java:283)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel.initComponentDefaults(MetalLookAndFeel.java:378)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicLookAndFeel.getDefaults(BasicLookAndFeel.java:67)
at javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel.getDefaults(MetalLookAndFeel.java:716)
at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:365)
at javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.java:392)
at com.ibm.ejs.sm.client.ui.EJSConsole.main(EJSConsole.java:1229)

To correct the problem I had to:

1. change disply on remote PC (i.e. the one running the Xoftware
server)
to use 256 colors
2. Once I did that I could change the Xserver
configuration->Graphics->Screen Visual value to "static color"
(Prior to that only "Direct Color Model" was available.

While it then worked, I don't really want to set the PC display to 256
colors.
Has anyone else used this Xserver successfully, and if so, how did
they
configure the Xserver and or invoke the adminclient.sh script?

Thanks,

Nancy Brown