Example of use of metrical foot in poetry

Tsz Yin Chong

Sep 17, 2010, 8:25:45 PM9/17/10
to iblang A1
Iamb (an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable):

- / - / - / - / - /
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. (Alfred Tennyson,
"Ulysses")

- / - / - / - / - /
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? (William Shakespeare, Sonnet
18)

Trochee (a stressed syllable followed by an unstressed one):

/ - / - / - / -
Should you ask me, whence these stories?
/ - / - - / -
Whence these legends and traditions,
- - / - - - / -
With the odours of the forest,
- - / - / - / -
With the dew and damp of meadows,
(Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's The Song of Hiawatha)

Spondee (two stressed syllables):

/ / - / - / - - / -
Well-loved of me, discerning to fulfill
/ / - - / / - / /
This labour, by slow prudence to make mild
("Ulysses")

Dactyl (a stressed syllable followed by two unstressed syllables):

/ - - / - - / - - / -
Just for a handful of silver he left us
/ - - / - - / - - /
Just for a riband to stick in his coat
(Robert Browning's The Lost Leader)

Anapaest (two unstressed followed by a stressed syllable)

- - / - - / - - /
I am out of humanity's reach
- - / - - / - - /
I must finish my journey alone
(William Cowper's "Verses Supposed to be Written by Alexander
Selkirk")

~Sponsored by Wikipedia~

amy keung

Sep 18, 2010, 2:30:36 AM9/18/10
to iblang A1
Iamb: an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable
- /
disease

Iambic pentameter: 5 iambs in a line
- / - / - / - / - /
When I have fears that I may cease to be
- / - / - / - / - /
Before my pen has gleaned my teeming brain
- "When I have Fears that I may Cease to be," John Keats

Iambic tetrameter: 4 iambs in a line
- / - / - / - /
No nightingale did ever chaunt
- / - / - / - /
More welcome notes to weary bands
- "The Reaper," William Wordsworth
(http://www.tetrameter.com/wordsworth.htm)

Trochee: a stressed syllable followed by an unstressed
/ -
English

Trochaic tetrameter
/ - / - / - /
Tyger! Tyger! Burning bright,
/ - / - / - /
In the forests of the night,
- "The Tyger," William Blake
(http://wonderingminstrels.blogspot.com/1999/04/tyger-william-
blake.html)

Trochaic octameter (8 trochees)
/ - / - / - / - / - /
- / - / -
Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer
- "The Raven," Edgar Allan Poe
(Wikipedia: "The best known work in trochaic octameter." Retrieved
14:22 Sept 18)

Spondee: two stressed syllables
/ /
black cat

Molossus: three stressed syllables
/ / /
big black cat

Dispondee: four stressed syllables (double spondee)
/ / / /
that big black cat

Sources: Wikipedia backed up by Dictionary.com

- - / / - / / /
Of a wild lake, with black rock bound
- "The Lake," Edgar Allan Poe
spondee occurs in "wild lake;" molossus in "black rock bound"

Dactyl: one stressed syllable, followed by two unstressed
/ - -
beautiful

/ - - / - -
Half a league, half a league,
- "The Charge of the Light Brigade," Lord Alfred Tennyson

Pyrrhic: two unstressed syllables
/ - / - - /
Get the dog and the cat: "and the"

/ - - / / - / /
We have but faith: we cannot know;
- / / - - / - /
For knowledge is of things we see;
- "In Memoriam," Lord Alfred Tennyson
(http://classiclit.about.com/library/bl-etexts/atennyson/bl-aten-
memoriam.htm)

Jason Kwan

Sep 19, 2010, 1:55:28 AM9/19/10
to iblang A1
Iamb (A metrical foot has an unstressed syllable followed by a
stressed syllable)

/ - / - / - /
Come live with me and be my love.
(A line from Christopher Marlowe serves)

Iambic pentameter: an iambic line of 10 syllables with five feet
consisting of two syllables each.
/ - / - / - / - /
Something there is that doesn't love a wall.
(The opening line of Frost's "Mending Wall")

(http://www.writing.upenn.edu/~afilreis/88/iambic.html)

Trochee (A metrical foot has a stressed syllable followed by an
unstressed syllable.)

/ - / - / - / -
Why so pale and wan, fond Lover?
/ - / - /
Prithee why so pale?
/ - / - / - / -
Will, when looking well can't move her,
/ - / - /
Looking ill prevail?
/ - / - /
Prithee why so pale?
(The first stanza of Sir John Suckling's "Song")

(http://www.english.emory.edu/classes/Handbook/trochee.html)

Spondee (A metrical foot has two long or stressed syllables.)

/ /
Pancake
/ / / / - / - / - - /
Landscape plotted and pieced--fold, fallow, and plough
(The second line of Gerard Manley Hopkins' "Pied Beauty”)

Dactyl (One stressed syllable followed by two unstressed syllables.)

/ - - / - -
Half a league, half a league
/ - - / -
Half a league onward,
(Tennyson's "Charge of the Light Brigade")

/ - - / - - / - - / -
Just for a handful of silver he left us
/ - - / - - / - - /
Just for a riband to stick in his coat
(Robert Browning's The Lost Leader)

(http://www.writing-world.com/poetry/meter.shtml)

Christopher Chow

Sep 19, 2010, 5:36:13 AM9/19/10
to iblang A1
Noun Adjective Pattern
iamb iambic ~ / ~ = unstreesed
anapest anapestic ~ ~ / / = stressed
trochee trochaic / ~
dactyl dactylic / ~ ~
spondee spondaic / /

Iamb / iambic examples:

~ / ~ / ~ / ~ / ~ /
Did you take out the garbage yesterday?

~ / ~ / ~ / ~ /
~ / ~
To be, / or not / to be: / that is / the ques- / -tion

Iamb is very common since we often speak in iambic pentameter

Trochee / Trochaic examples"
/ ~ / ~ / ~ / ~
Charging down the King's path steady

/ ~ / ~ / ~ / ~ / ~ / ~ / ~ / ~
Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December

Trochee tends to give a feeling of pressing forward, urgency,
insistence

Anapest / Anapestic examples:

~ ~ / ~ ~ / ~ ~ / ~ ~ /
For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
~ ~ / ~ ~ / ~ ~ /
I must finish my journey alone

Anapest gives a comic feeling, perhaps like a song, keeping a rhythm
and the beat in the mind

Dactyl / dactylic examples:
/ ~ ~ / ~ ~ / ~
~ / ~
Half a League, Half a League, Half a League, onward
/ ~ ~ / ~ ~ / ~ ~ / ~ ~
Woman much missed, how you call to me, call to me

Dactyl style is rare in English

Spondee / Spondaic
/ / ~ / /
Silence, I'll kill you

Spondee adds emphasizes

Ho Lok Sze

Sep 19, 2010, 1:06:27 PM9/19/10
to iblang A1
An iamb is a metrical foot used in various types of poetry consists of
an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed syllable.

- / - / - / - - / - /
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;

http://www.bardweb.net/content/readings/hamlet/lines.html

A trochee is a metrical foot used in formal poetry consists of a
stressed syllable followed by an unstressed one.

/ / - / - / - / - /
No more; and by a sleep to say we end

http://www.bardweb.net/content/readings/hamlet/lines.html

A spondee is a metrical foot consists of two long syllables.
\ /
Grow wide withal. Perhaps he loves u now, Hamlet ActI Scene III

http://poemshape.wordpress.com/2008/12/04/what-is-iambic-pentameter-variants/

A dactyl is a type of foot in meter in poetry which consists of a long
syllable followed by two short syllables.

/ - - / - -
Merrily, merrily shall I live now Tempest Act V Scene 1

http://poemshape.wordpress.com/2008/12/04/what-is-iambic-pentameter-variants/

gin gin

Sep 20, 2010, 9:55:49 AM9/20/10
to iblang A1
Trochee: a metrical foot of two syllables, one long (or stressed) and
one short (or unstressed).

Examples:
Booth led boldly with his big bass drum
(General William Booth Enters into Heaven by Vachel Lindsay)

Spondee: metrical foot of two syllables, both of which are long (or
stressed)

Examples:
White founts falling in the courts of the sun
And the Soldan of Byzantium is smiling as they run
(Lepanto by G. K. Chesterton)

Dactylic: The Dactyl Poetry Term is a metrical foot of three
syllables, one long (or stressed) followed by two short (or
unstressed), as in 'happily'.

Examples:
Half a League, Half a League, Half a League, onward
(The Charge of the Light Brigade by Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Iambic: Iamb Literary Term is a metrical foot of two syllables, one
short (or unstressed) and one long (or stressed).

Examples:
There are four iambs in the line “Come live/ with me/ and be/ my
love,”
(from a poem by Christopher Marlowe).

Source:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0903237.html#axzz104ouZVij
http://www.types-of-poetry.org.uk/16-dactyl-poetry-type.htm
http://www.types-of-poetry.org.uk/89-trochee-literary-term.htm
http://www.types-of-poetry.org.uk/85-spondee-literary-term.htm
http://www.types-of-poetry.org.uk/69-iamb-literary-term.htm

Message has been deleted

Ingrid Chung

Sep 23, 2010, 3:38:23 AM9/23/10
to iblang A1
iamb: a metrical foot consisting, in Greek and Latin verse, of one
short syllable followed by one long one,
or, as in English verse, of one unaccented syllable followed
by one accented one

- / - / - / - /
- /
example: To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield

http://www.yourdictionary.com/iamb

trochee: a metrical foot used in formal poetry. It consists of a long
syllable followed by a short one.

example from Tennyson:
/ - / - /
Go not, happy day,
/ - / - /
From the shining fields;
/ - / - /
Go not, happy day,
/ - / - /
Till the maiden yields.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Trochee

spondee: a metrical foot of two syllables, both of which are long (or
stressed).

example from Lepanto by G. K. Chesterton:

/ / / / - - / - - /
White founts falling in the courts of the sun
- - / - - - / - - - / - -
- /
And the Soldan of Byzantium is smiling as they run

http://www.types-of-poetry.org.uk/85-spondee-literary-term.htm

dactyl: a metrical foot of three syllables, the first of which is long
or accented and the next two short or unaccented

example:

/ - - / - -
merrily , loveer boy

example from Byron's "The Bride of Abydos":

/ - - / - - / - - / -
know ye the land where the cypress and myrtle

http://www.famous-poems.org/poetry-dictionary/dactyl

L Chan

Sep 23, 2010, 5:02:59 AM9/23/10
to iblang A1
Iamb: A metrical foot that consists of an unstressed syllable followed
by a
stressed syllable.

Example:
To Speak
What's IN a NAME? That WHICH We CALL a ROSE? (Shakespeare)

Spondee: A metrical foot consisting of two long or stressed syllables

Example:
White founts falling in the courts of the sun
And the Soldan of Byzantium is smiling as they run;
G. K. Chesterton, Lepanto

/ / - / - / - / - /
No more; and by a sleep to say we end (Hamlet, Shakespeare)

Dactyl: A metrical foot consisting of one stressed syllable followed
by two unstressed or of one long syllable followed by two short.

Example:
This is the / forest prim- / eval. The / murmuring / pines and the /
hemlocks,
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem Evangeline

Trochee: A trochee is a metrical foot used in formal poetry consisting
of a stressed syllable followed by an unstressed one.

Example:
- / - / - / / - - / -
To be, or not to be: that is the question (Hamlet, Shakespeare)

Anapest: A anapest is a metrical foot where there are two unstressed
followed by a stressed syllable.

Example:
"'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the
house" (Clement Clarke Moore)

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondee
http://www.answers.com/topic/trochee
http://www.answers.com/topic/iamb
http://www.answers.com/topic/anapest
http://www.yourdictionary.com/anapest
http://www.bardweb.net/content/readings/hamlet/lines.html
http://www.answers.com/topic/trochee
Message has been deleted

wong alex

Sep 23, 2010, 9:08:56 AM9/23/10
to iblang A1
a) Foot -- A basic unit of meter consisting of a set number of
strong
stresses and light stresses

b) Iambic (noun: Iamb) -- a lightly stressed syllable followed by
a heavily stressed syllable.

[E.g. "The cúrfew tólls the knéll of párting dáy." (Thomas Gray,
"Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard.")]

c) Trochaic (noun: Trochee) – A stressed syllable followed by a
light syllable.

(E.g. "Thére they áre, my fífty men and wómen.")

d) Spondaic (Noun: Spondee) -- A line of poetry in which the feet
are composed of successive spondees. Spondee is a metrical foot
consisting of two successive strong beats. The spondee typically is
"slower" and
"heavier" to read than an iamb or a dactyl.

[E.g. WHITE FOUNTS FALLing in the COURTS of the SUN, And the SOLdan of
ByZANtium is SMIling as they RUN;(G. K. Chesterton, “Lepanto”)]

e) Dactylic (noun: Dactyl) -- A stressed syllable followed by two
light syllables.

(E.g. Éve, with her básket, was / Déep in the bélls and grass.")

f) Anapestic (noun: Anapest) -- Two light syllables followed by a
heavy syllable.

[E.g. "The Assyrian came dówn like a wólf on the fóld." (Lord Byron,
"The Destruction of Sennacherib.") ]

source:
http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/lit_terms_F.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spondee

rachelleu...@yahoo.com.hk

Sep 23, 2010, 10:43:57 AM9/23/10
to iblang A1
Trochee
- a metrical foot consisting of one long syllable followed by one
short syllable or of one stressed syllable followed by one unstressed
syllable, for example, apple.

Example:

General William Booth Enters into Heaven by Vachel Lindsay
/ - /- /- /- /- /-
Booth led boldly with his big bass drum —
(Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?)

Spondee
-a foot of two syllables, both of which are long in quantitative meter
or stressed in accentual meter.

Example:
Lepanto by G. K. Chesterton

White founts falling in the courts of the sun
And the Soldan of Byzantium is smiling as they run

Iamb
-a foot of two syllables, a short followed by a long in quantitative
meter, or an unstressed followed by a stressed in accentual meter.

Example:
Poem by John Keats' Ode to Autumn
˘ / ˘ / ˘ / ˘ / ˘ /
To swell the gourd, and plump the hazel shells

Useful resources:

Iamb (Iambic) Unstressed + Stressed Two
Syllables
Trochee (Trochaic) Stressed + Unstressed Two
Syllables
Spondee (Spondaic) Stressed + Stressed
Two Syllables
Anapest (Anapestic) Unstressed + Unstressed + Stressed Three
Syllables
Dactyl (Dactylic) Stressed + Unstressed + Unstressed Three
Syllables
Pyrrhic Unstressed + Unstressed
Two Syllables
Monometer One Foot
Dimeter Two Feet
Trimeter Three Feet
Tetrameter Four Feet
Pentameter Five Feet
Hexameter Six Feet
Heptameter Seven Feet
Octameter Eight Feet
Links:
http://www.types-of-poetry.org.uk/
http://www.cummingsstudyguides.net/xmeter.html
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0903237.html
http://writing.upenn.edu
http://dictionary.reference.com/

Jeffrey Au

Sep 23, 2010, 3:49:05 PM9/23/10
to iblang A1
From the freedictionary.com, a metrical foot is a group of 2 or 3
syllables forming the basic unit of poetic rhythm.
Metrical foots can be differentiated into different categories that
contains different patterns of stressed and unstressed syllables, for
example:
Iamb means a metrical foot that contains 2 syllables, one unstressed
followed by one stressed.
Trochee is a metrical foot that contains 2 syllables, one stresesd
followed by one unstressed.
Spondee is a metrical foot that contains 2 syllables, which are all
stressed.
Pyrrhic is a metrical foot that contains 2 syllables which are both
unstressed.
Anapest is a metrical foot that contains 3 syllables, two unstressed
followed by one stressed.
Dactyl is a metrical foot that contains 3 syllables, one stressed
followed by two unstressed.

Also, a meter is a measure of syllables, in particular, the number
of foots a line has. Thus, if we want to describe a line which has a
particular metrical foot pattern and want to express the number of
foots in the line all in one word, we can use 'numbercount'-meter.
For example, a penta-meter means 5 meters, or 5 foots. Similarily, a
decimeter means 10 foots, and a octometer means 8. We use the term
'monometer' to represent one meter.

With the first two combined, we can easily describe the use of
metrical foot in poetry. For example, an imabic pentameter would be 5
groups of foots that follows the pattern of unstressed + stressed; an
pyrrhic trimeter would be 3 groups of foots that are all unstressed
(all 6 syllables are unstressed).

Examples:

Dactylic dimeter:
/ - - / - -
"Half a league, half a league"
http://www.types-of-poetry.org.uk/16-dactyl-poetry-type.htm

Trochaic tetrameter:
/ - / - / - / (-)
"In the forests of the night"
"The Tyger," by William Blake
(Note that the last foot is incomplete)

Tsai.

Sep 23, 2010, 9:13:55 PM9/23/10
to iblang A1
Trochaic:
–nounProsody.
a foot of two syllables, a long followed by a short in quantitative
meter, or a stressed followed by an unstressed in accentual
meter.Symbol:
/ - / - / - / -
Example: Peter, Peter pumpkin-eater

Spondaic:
–nounProsody.
a foot of two syllables, both of which are long in quantitative meter
or stressed in accentual meter. Symbol:
/ / - - / / - - / /
Example: This labour, by slow prudence to make mild

Dactylic:
–adjective
of, containing, or characterized by dactyls: dactylic hexameter; a
dactylic line.
/ - - / - - / - - / -
Example: Just for a handful of silver he left us

Michael

Sep 23, 2010, 9:50:50 PM9/23/10
to iblang A1
Iamb - one unstressed then one stressed
Example: i NOW anNOUNCE to ALL of YOU...

Trochee - one stressed then one unstressed
Example: THIS is WHAT i CALL...

Spondee - two stressed
Example: SCREW YOU

Dactyl - one stressed then two unstressed
Example: THIS may be...

Tsz Yin Chong

Sep 25, 2010, 1:12:34 AM9/25/10
to iblang A1
*****************BY Norym***********************

Iamb: A kind of metrical foot. An iamb (the adjective is "iambic") is
an unstressed syllable followed by a stressed one.
They álso sérve who ónly stánd and wáit.

Trochee, Trochaic: A kind of metrical foot. A trochee (the adjective
is "trochaic") is a stressed syllable followed by an unstressed one:
Róund abóut the cáuldron gó,
Ín the póisoned éntrails thrów.

Spondee, Spondaic: A kind of metrical foot. A spondee is a duple foot
with two stressed syllables. Although it's rare for any two adjacent
syllables to receive exactly the same stress, in spondees there's no
obvious stress on one syllable rather than the other. Some examples:
"pen-knife," "ad hoc," "heartburn." Spondees are sometimes substituted
for iambs and trochees to vary the rhythm.

Dactyl: A kind of metrical foot. A dactyl is a stressed syllable
followed by two unstressed syllables: for example, "Canada,"
"holiday," "camouflage." (The name comes from the Greek for "finger" —
as in pterodactyl, "winged-finger" — and you can remember the pattern
by thinking of the three joints in a finger: long, short, short.)

http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Terms/foot.html

** Iamb

A metrical foot consisting of an unaccented syllable (noted by "x")
and an accented or stressed one (noted by "/"). For example:
x /
a wall
or
x /
verbose
Iambic is the most common metrical measure in English verse. A line
from Christopher Marlow serves to illustrate:

x / x / x / x /
Come live | with me | and be | my love.
Quite often an iambic pentameter (an iambic line of 10 syllables--five
feet consisting of two syllables each) is slightly irregular, for
instance the opening line of Frost's "Mending Wall":

x / x / x / x / x /
Something | there is | that does | n't love | a wall.

Iamb (Iambic) Unstressed + Stressed Two Syllables
Trochee (Trochaic) Stressed + Unstressed Two Syllables
Spondee (Spondaic) Stressed + Stressed Two Syllables
Anapest (Anapestic) Unstressed + Unstressed + Stressed Three Syllables
Dactyl (Dactylic Stressed + Unstressed + Unstressed Three Syllables

kwok lun Chow

Sep 26, 2010, 6:19:00 AM9/26/10
to iblang A1
iamb :
a metrical foot that has one unstresssed syllable and then followed
by a stressed syllable.
- /
offence
sentence:
- / - /
I like him not ;

trochee :
has one stressed syllable followed by an unstressed syllable.
/ -
Heaven
/ - / - / -
Do you know me, my lord?

spondee :
contains two continueously stressed syllables.
/ /
O Lord !
/ / / /
How now ! a rat?

dactyl :
One stressed syllable followed by TWO unstressed syllables.
/ - -
Thanks, my lord.
Good sir, whose power are these?

amy keung

Sep 29, 2010, 6:17:09 AM9/29/10
to iblang A1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_(prosody)
I believe the relatively comprehensive list of metrical feet in the
article would be quite helpful. I have Googled a few terms to confirm
(to an extent) their authenticity, but not all.