organisation registration agencies

Jaap-Andre de Hoop

Nov 21, 2014, 3:10:22 AM11/21/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

A while ago I checked the quality of the organisation ref of all
organisations used in the IATI files. A lot of organisation did not have
an organisation ref. Hence it is difficult to gather all the activities
an organisation is involved in. It is quite time consuming to find an
organisations ref of all the organisations you are involved in. So I'm
developing a service to lookup/search organisation identifier based on
name (and if known: country). I want to offer this a (paid) service,
unless I found funds to develop this tool.

A first step to find organisations ref's is to use opencorporates.com.
It is a web service containing information from around 85 million
companies from multiple (at this moment 101) 'chamber of commerce', to
us known as registration agencies. On the IATI list we have 50 agencies.
I've not yet cross referenced the opencorporates list with the current
agency list. But I'll like the others to be added, but I don't know how
to determine the agency code. Basically it consist of country_subCode.
Shall I take the first characters of the agency name for the subCode?

Attached I have an overview I created from opencorporates (search in
every jurisdiction for an organisation with an 'a'). It has jurisdiction
code (country_region), 'country' (actually 'region country'),
'publisher', sourceUrl (url to the first organisation with an a'),
'registryUrl' and 'number of organisation in the registry'.

Questions:
* how to determin the agency subCode (shall I come up with a
proposal/pull request?)
* Is somebody willing to help cleaning the url's to get the url of the
agency instead the url to an organisation, (in some cases (eg the
Netherlands) the source is not the official registry (openkvk instead of
kvk).

Groets,

Jaap-Andre

--
Data-Assist
Tubalaan 7

opencorporates_agency.txt

Tim Davies

Nov 21, 2014, 9:29:23 AM11/21/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jaap-Andre

Q: How to determine the agency subCode (shall I come up with a proposal/pull request?)

This raises a good issue re: the easy of maintaining the current prefix codelist. And now that the Open Contracting Data Standard is planning to also share the prefix codelist, it would be great to get this on a stronger footing soon.

At the moment I believe the approach is to contact IATI support with a request, and they will make the additions - but doing this via a pull request is probably also a good option - though I'll leave it to the tech team to confirm on that or not.

Q: Is somebody willing to help cleaning the url's to get the url of the agency instead the url to an organisation, (in some cases (eg the Netherlands) the source is not the official registry (openkvk instead of kvk).

I'd be happy to help out on this. I should also have some data I can share soon from the Open Data Barometer's survey of location of corporate registries in around 80 countries which might also be able to be added to the codelist.

All the best

Tim

Tickets for the IATI technical secretariat can be posted to http://support.iatistandard.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IATI Technical Advisory Group (TAG) technical discussion list" group.

w: http://www.timdavies.org.uk | m: 07834 856 303 | twitter: timdavies

Co-director of Practical Participation: http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk
--------------------------
Practical Participation Ltd is a registered company in England and Wales - #5381958.

Jaap-Andre de Hoop

Nov 29, 2014, 2:32:11 AM11/29/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
On 11/21/2014 03:29 PM, Tim Davies wrote:

Q: Is somebody willing to help cleaning the url's to get the url of the agency instead the url to an organisation, (in some cases (eg the Netherlands) the source is not the official registry (openkvk instead of kvk).

I'd be happy to help out on this. I should also have some data I can share soon from the Open Data Barometer's survey of location of corporate registries in around 80 countries which might also be able to be added to the codelist.

All the best

Tim

I've combined the list of registries with the list I harvested from opencorporates and calculated the levenshtein distance between the agency names. See attached files (original=iati). If you have the list from the Open Data Barometer I'll match them as well (and add more information). This output was for 'community work' to create a fuzzy match (registry name) and exact match (country) combination with Pentaho.

When do you think the list is available?
matchedAgency.csv

Tim Davies

Nov 30, 2014, 8:17:24 PM11/30/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jaap-Andre

Unfortunately the Open Data Barometer has been delayed until January, so the list won't be released until then.

I'm not sure I fully understand the attachment you shared: there is a one-to-many relationship between countries and registration agencies in most cases.

A country many have many different registration agencies. Sometimes an organization may be registered with more than one, which is why some system for preferring one agency over another is needed when this is the case. But in other cases, either federal systems, or when different kinds of organisation are registered differently (e.g. company vs. charity vs. government agency) then there are neccessarily multiple registration agencies of equal weight and validity.

All the best

Tim

Tickets for the IATI technical secretariat can be posted to http://support.iatistandard.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IATI Technical Advisory Group (TAG) technical discussion list" group.

Jaap-Andre de Hoop

Dec 1, 2014, 6:02:36 AM12/1/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
On 12/01/2014 02:17 AM, Tim Davies wrote:
> Hello Jaap-Andre
>
> Unfortunately the Open Data Barometer has been delayed until January,
> so the list won't be released until then.
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand the attachment you shared: there is a
> one-to-many relationship between countries and registration agencies
> in most cases.
>
> A country many have many different registration agencies. Sometimes an
> organization may be registered with more than one, which is why some
> system for preferring one agency over another is needed when this is
> the case. But in other cases, either federal systems, or when
> different kinds of organisation are registered differently (e.g.
> company vs. charity vs. government agency) then there are neccessarily
> multiple registration agencies of equal weight and validity.

Sorry my fault. It is an intermediate result (indeed a one-to-many
relationship between countries with a distance measure (levenshtein) to
quickly scan the list of agencies already known to IATI). I was awaiting
the Open Data Barometer for further investigation. But.... further
investigation of the list, shows iati knows of 9 registries. I'll create
the xml to add the other registries. The agency code consist of country
code an the first letters of the registry name (unless someone has a
better approach).

Steven Flower

Dec 3, 2014, 11:35:22 AM12/3/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jaap-Andre, Tim

Thanks for this discussion

So far, we've progressed additions to the RegistrationAgency list on an individual basis, via the forum at http://support.iatistandard.org/forums/23076626-Non-embedded-Codelist-Amendments

Hence, for this request I've created a post: http://support.iatistandard.org/entries/69470555-Adding-Open-Corporates-RegistrationAgencies - where we can begin to discuss / document for others.  More background info at: http://iatistandard.org/codelists/codelist-management/

The workflow is to then accept/reject a proposal and then implement via relevant GitHub issues [1], which can then lead to the codelist and website being updated/regenerated.

As mentioned, proposals have so far been progressed on an individual basis.  Receiving a (Pull) request with multiple additions is useful, but may take additional time to progress (@Jaap-Andrew - the PR needs some attention: https://github.com/IATI/IATI-Codelists-NonEmbedded/pull/43#issuecomment-65421766)

One note of caution we need to be aware of is the possibility that the codes could change.  This could be legitimate (agency changes name) but also because the original proposed/implemented code is perceived to be "incorrect" - particularly in a system involving acronyms!  Take a look at the observation I made on the Scottish Charity Register, for example - alongside the comments that David raises: http://support.iatistandard.org/entries/68188835-Amend-GB-SC-to-GB-OSCR-or-GB-SCR - either way, a robust change log on this community-led list, is needed.

I hope this is of some use - thanks once again for discussing openly

Best wishes

Steven

[1] - https://github.com/IATI/IATI-Codelists-NonEmbedded (the codelist) and https://github.com/IATI/IATI-Guidance (for the Chanelog)

Tickets for the IATI technical secretariat can be posted to http://support.iatistandard.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IATI Technical Advisory Group (TAG) technical discussion list" group.

------------------
skype: stevieflow
telephone: 441612981213

Jaap-Andre de Hoop

Dec 3, 2014, 12:40:09 PM12/3/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that is the problem when you add meaningfull information to fields
which are (should only be?) keys.
I'll try to fix the pull request (I guess that is the best method
forward, but let me know if you think different).

Jaap-Andre de Hoop

Dec 4, 2014, 5:31:08 AM12/4/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I've improved the pull request and the organisationRegistriesAgencies.xml now validates. I also pulled a commit to  remove us-dos, which (only) contains a link to all us state registries.

Please let me know if you expect input from me, or if I need to change something.

Groets,

Jaap-Andre