OECD Icon Set

Reinier Battenberg

Mar 13, 2014, 8:03:24 AM3/13/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com, eve.n...@mountbatten.net
Hi,

We have been using OECD codes in several projects over the past years and
created icons in the process. They help us visualize OECD code based data in a
more visual way.

We decided to finish that job and created icons for all OECD codes. Including
the new code for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health, announced earlier this
week.

And we want to share these icons, so you can download them from
www.oecdicons.org

All credits for the icons goes to Eve Ndagire @joysofeve

If you have questions or remarks, you can reach her on
eve.n...@mountbatten.net

rgds,

Reinier & Eve

Steven Flower

Mar 13, 2014, 9:39:11 AM3/13/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com, eve.n...@mountbatten.net
Great stuff - thanks Reiner

I've bookmarked it alongside http://thenounproject.com/ochaavmu/

Best wishes

Steven

Tickets for the IATI technical secretariat can be posted to http://support.iatistandard.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IATI Technical Advisory Group" group.

------------------
skype: stevieflow
telephone: 441612981213

Chris Wallace

Mar 13, 2014, 6:51:19 PM3/13/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com, eve.n...@mountbatten.net
That's a lovely set of icons but is there some reason why the filenames don't use the sector codes for ease of linking?

Chris Wallace

Mar 17, 2014, 4:50:13 AM3/17/14
to Eve Ndagire, iati-te...@googlegroups.com, Steven Flower, reinier.b...@mountbatten.net
Hi Eve

My preference would be for the code alone 11220.png because then a program only needs to know the code to find the icon.  Having any descriptive text (inevitably language-specific)  in the file name means the program has to lookup some table to locate the name.  Names like 11220-primary-education.png  can be processed to create symbolic links using only the code but its extra work -  the usual human/computer tradeoff I guess.  Perhaps both?

Have you considered icons for the more generic sector category codes  eg 112 Basic Education

see http://data.aidinfolabs.org/data/codelist/SectorCategory

Chris

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 8:34 AM, Eve Ndagire <e...@mountbatten.net> wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback, and most urgent is the need to change or replace names of Icons with codes. I totally agree, it just seemed easier for a me as a designer, especially in the beginning.

Using the crs codes, below are simple ways of renaming. However am hoping you can direct me in what would work best for you. ie

Primary Education

11220-primary-education.png

primary-education-11220.png

or rather 11220.png

And keeping the name only in the title(tooltip)

Let me know what you think.

--

Ndagire Eve

Graphics/Visual Artist

Mountbatten.net

+256.77.2.379303 | Tweet @joysofeve

david C

Mar 17, 2014, 5:23:04 AM3/17/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
I'm in agreement with Chris on this.

However as part of the change control processes here at IATI we
haven't always been on top of changes that have happened to OECD
codelists - so while you might have this covered already - it's
probably worth spending a bit of time seeing how well the icons map to
the current list and thinking about what to do when the list changes
in the future.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaching_grandmother_to_suck_eggs

Cheers
David

Ndagire Eve

Mar 17, 2014, 5:58:09 AM3/17/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com, Eve Ndagire, Steven Flower, reinier.b...@mountbatten.net

Yes we do have the "more generic sector category codes" icons. Top level categories, of sort.
Codes are not prone to change soon, in reference to how and when the list changes. I should hope so for now at least.

We will go for the 11220.png and them smartly pull the first 3 digits of the code to help categorize them further.

david C

Mar 17, 2014, 6:44:16 AM3/17/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com, Eve Ndagire, Steven Flower, reinier.b...@mountbatten.net
"Codes are not prone to change soon, in reference to how and when the
list changes. I should hope so for now at least"

The reason I mentioned this is because it is hard to know when the
list you reference is going to change, and when it does, to find out
what has changed.

For example I see you have an icon for:

Which I assume mapps to:

david C

Mar 17, 2014, 6:47:09 AM3/17/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com, Eve Ndagire, Steven Flower, reinier.b...@mountbatten.net
Sorry try again...

"Codes are not prone to change soon, in reference to how and when the
list changes. I should hope so for now at least"

The reason I mentioned this is because it is hard to know when the
list you reference on the site (
http://www.oecd.org/dac/stats/dacandcrscodelists.htm ) is going to
change, and then when it does, to find out
what has changed.

For example I see you have an icon for:
support-to-non-governmental-organizations.png

Which I assume maps to:
920 SUPPORT TO NON- GOVERNMENTAL ORGANISATIONS (NGOs)

But this is no longer in the current list (as far as I can see!)

Cheers
David

Ndagire Eve

Mar 17, 2014, 8:55:48 AM3/17/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com, Eve Ndagire, Steven Flower, reinier.b...@mountbatten.net

Hi,

I think I was misunderstood, sorry about that.
"Codes are not prone to change soon" meant the numerical presentation of the OECD sector codes ie CRS and DAC or rather in the form of 112, 11220, 12023 etc
I believe by using numbers in codes, makes them almost permanent.

However, just to be clear what could possibly happen I include these 3 scenarios
For instance lets refer to code 11220

11220 code being added? new code
11220 code being removed? almost the same with the 920 NGOs

or
11220 code being changed
Something like 11220 currently being Primary education,
and later its 11220 Risk reduction.

Please advise on a way forward.
Thanks!

Ndagire Eve

Mar 19, 2014, 6:29:42 AM3/19/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com, Eve Ndagire, Steven Flower, reinier.b...@mountbatten.net

Hi,

Did rename icons from just the name presentation to codes. Was super dreary. Also compared the sector code lists, noticed the list I was using, had some missing icons.
I will work on these also to make the iconset complete. I however pushed what I had before to github.

Any other feedback is welcome.

Thanks!