Datastore to get a new address

caprenter

Mar 7, 2014, 2:43:09 AM3/7/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Hello

This is just a heads up, to say that the datastore will be moving to a new URL very soon.

From Tuesday 1st April we will close down the current address (http://iati-datastore.herokuapp.com/) and the datastore will move to:

We hope to have the new address working prior to 1st April - from approx. the 17th March we will begin deploying an updated version on the new address.

This will be a port of the existing datastore with some improvements. There will be nothing that breaks any existing functionality, so you should be able to just alter the address in any applications you use to access the datastore.

Ben has been doing the development work over at https://github.com/IATI/iati-datastore if you want to follow along.

Any questions/problems/observations are always welcome.

All the best
David carpenter
P.S. This is NOT an 'April Fool' - at least we hope not!

Mark Brough

Mar 7, 2014, 4:51:03 AM3/7/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com

This is great news David.

Can I just ask that all requests to the herokuapp site are forwarded to the new site? That way we don't break any apps already using the data store.

Thanks!
Mark

Tickets for the IATI technical secretariat can be posted to http://support.iatistandard.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IATI Technical Advisory Group" group.

david C

Mar 7, 2014, 10:37:49 AM3/7/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
We'll do what we can on that front Mark, but the intention is to kill
that heroku server and save on costs, so I would strongly urge people
to make plans to migrate for the 1st of April if they possibly can.

We really are anticipating that this will only be a change of URL if
you want your current application to work as normal.

Cheers
David

Tim Davies

Mar 7, 2014, 11:27:01 AM3/7/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Hello David

I wonder if it would be possible to quickly adapt https://github.com/RandomEtc/heroku-www-redirect or similar code to replace the current Heroku instance with a free small instance for a period of N months to ease transition.

I would have thought it would also be possible in this approach to log access (and referrers) - to check before shutting that down completely that there were no remaining users hitting the old URL...

All the best

Tim

w: http://www.timdavies.org.uk | m: 07834 856 303 | twitter: timdavies

Co-director of Practical Participation: http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk
--------------------------
Practical Participation Ltd is a registered company in England and Wales - #5381958.

caprenter

Mar 10, 2014, 6:10:01 AM3/10/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com, t...@practicalparticipation.co.uk
Thanks Tim

This was something I'm not aware of, so thanks, we'll take a look and report back later this week.

Cheers
David

Ben Webb

Mar 12, 2014, 10:43:53 AM3/12/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com, t...@practicalparticipation.co.uk
Thanks for the pointer Tim, hadn't realised that there was a way to use .htaccess files on heroku.

Thanks,
Ben

Mark Brough

Mar 17, 2014, 8:39:43 AM3/17/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Ben,

Thanks, I just tested this with a couple of queries and it works great for me.

Thanks,
Mark

caprenter

Mar 31, 2014, 11:12:36 AM3/31/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Just a reminder to everyone that this change has now been carried out, and you should tell your machines to look to datastore.iatistandard.org for their data.
If you haven't visited the site for a while then you might like to see if you are up to date with all the current API calls.

A redirect is in place if you hit the old endpoint - thanks to those of you that helped us with the redirect at heroku (now using a free account).

We think we've got most of the document changes covered, but if you find a stray reference to the heroku site we'd be grateful if you could let us know, and we'll get it changed.

Humans, might like to start at:

for all their datastore needs!

All the best
David