IATI Dashboard

Steven Flower

Jan 29, 2014, 2:01:33 PM1/29/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone

This morning in Data Quality session at the TAG meeting we launched* the IATI Dashboard.  This tracks and monitors IATI data on various facets and metrics, based on a nightly analysis of all IATI files.

You can access it here:

Source code:

We'd welcome thoughts, ideas and contributions.

Thanks

Steven

* there were NO cutting of ribbons or grand proclamations

Ben Webb

Feb 12, 2014, 4:53:03 AM2/12/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
One of the questions at the TAG meeting was whether people could access the information on the dashboard in a machine readable form. The dashboard now has various links to the JSON data that was used to generate it.

Not all the data is exposed atm, because some of it needs restructuring before it is useful to other people. (e.g. the graphs all use the same 200MB json file, so those don't link to any data yet). However, making this data accessible and usable by people is important, so increasing the number of 'raw data' links on the dashboard is definitely on our TODO list.

Hope this is useful.

Thanks,
Ben

David Megginson

Feb 12, 2014, 8:35:57 AM2/12/14
to iati-te...@googlegroups.com
Great idea!

I'm a big fan of this approach: get away from the pre-REST API mindset (especially the oxymoronically-named "RESTful APIs") and just offer machine-readable views of the same content.  For example, if can request /charts/x-vs-y.html to view in your browser, then requesting /charts/x-vs-y.csv/charts/x-vs-y.json, or /charts/x-vs-y.xml should return machine-readable versions of the data used to generate the HTML: one controller, multiple views.  If you want to get fancy, you can also offer /charts/x-vs-y.rss or /charts/x-vs-y.atom so that people can subscribe and see when the content on the page changes (but that's not always simple to calculate).

Cheers, David

Tickets for the IATI technical secretariat can be posted to http://support.iatistandard.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "IATI Technical Advisory Group" group.