A basic Iago http example - feedback appreciated

Julian Rendell

Jan 22, 2014, 6:45:51 PM1/22/14
to iago-...@googlegroups.com
Hi-

I decided to document my first attempt at using Iago by creating and (roughly) documenting a basic http load test against a widely available test http application (httpbin):

It's an example that processes incoming lines, creates an http request, does basic validation on the responses, and increments some statistics.

The code is mostly cut and paste from the included examples, the Iago source (such as simplerecordparser), and various posts to this user group and stack overflow.

Hopefully this helps someone else bridge the gap from the very easy to understand, but trivial, http example to something closer to the start of a load test for their http/rest application.

It's also the first time I've tried Scala, so I'm know there's lots of room for improvement :-)

Feedback, suggestions, and additions appreciated!

Thanks-

Julian

James Waldrop

Jan 22, 2014, 7:10:22 PM1/22/14
to iago-...@googlegroups.com
This is cool! A lot of your README forms the basis of some issues we can address I suspect. I glanced at the code, looks reasonable as a first approximation for sure.

--

---

Julian Rendell

Jan 22, 2014, 7:38:56 PM1/22/14
to iago-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

let me know which issues in particular and I'll happily add them as github issues if that's helpful.

James Waldrop

Jan 22, 2014, 7:45:18 PM1/22/14
to iago-...@googlegroups.com
I'll let my coworkers who are touching Iago every day still weigh in on that, but I think an obvious one is the hang you were getting when the SUT got stressed. Also the packaging step *is* annoying and could be improved a lot. Running under a debugger, I'm not sure about, but I've done it so we could at least document it.

Tom Howland

Jan 22, 2014, 7:56:39 PM1/22/14
to iago-...@googlegroups.com
Debugging Iago

There is a lovely little switch you can throw that causes a java program to pause while you connect your debugger to it. This is hinted at in

src/main/resources/scripts/parrot-server.sh

where it has the line

#DEBUG_OPTS="-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y"

If you uncomment the above line and then rebuild Iago, you'll be able to attach your debugger next time you launch.