Time for membership to be approved

Matthew Teets

Sep 30, 2016, 5:54:01 AM9/30/16
to i3 Detroit Public
So my membership in my other makerspace expires tomorrow.  It was a hard decision not to renew, but I think it's time we finally parted ways so I put in my application.  I was wondering approximately how long it takes to get approved for membership?  It's not that I used my old makerspace everyday or even every week but when inspiration strikes, it's always a bummer not to have access to the tools you need to work on it.  Plus I3 is a LOT closer, so I'm hoping to push myself to becoming more active.

Roger S

Sep 30, 2016, 9:06:12 AM9/30/16
to i3Detroit

The wiki has info in the membership process. Have you visited i3?

On Sep 30, 2016 5:54 AM, "Matthew Teets" <mact...@gmail.com> wrote:
So my membership in my other makerspace expires tomorrow.  It was a hard decision not to renew, but I think it's time we finally parted ways so I put in my application.  I was wondering approximately how long it takes to get approved for membership?  It's not that I used my old makerspace everyday or even every week but when inspiration strikes, it's always a bummer not to have access to the tools you need to work on it.  Plus I3 is a LOT closer, so I'm hoping to push myself to becoming more active.

Leora Druckman

Sep 30, 2016, 11:57:43 AM9/30/16
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
I believe it to be missing some names as I am aware of at least a couple people who have had their step one done for a while who are not on the list.

Leora

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to i3detroit-publ...@googlegroups.com.

Matthew Teets

Sep 30, 2016, 3:45:42 PM9/30/16
to i3 Detroit Public
Yes, I've visited several times but I've been putting it off due to being superbusy and honestly, sentimental reasons.  I'll miss my old space.  I'm excited about joining a new space though and I'm starting to think of some new projects.  I completed Step 1 and I think you only meet every two weeks to accept new members so I'm just trying to figure out whether it will be a couple weeks or a month or so.  (I might go back and get a month at my old space, if so, since I'd hate to just be "sitting around" for that long).

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 9:06:12 AM UTC-4, Skaterdude wrote:

The wiki has info in the membership process. Have you visited i3?

On Sep 30, 2016 5:54 AM, "Matthew Teets" <mact...@gmail.com> wrote:
So my membership in my other makerspace expires tomorrow.  It was a hard decision not to renew, but I think it's time we finally parted ways so I put in my application.  I was wondering approximately how long it takes to get approved for membership?  It's not that I used my old makerspace everyday or even every week but when inspiration strikes, it's always a bummer not to have access to the tools you need to work on it.  Plus I3 is a LOT closer, so I'm hoping to push myself to becoming more active.

Andrew Meyer

Oct 2, 2016, 7:55:34 PM10/2/16
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com

Keep in mind, we are open for guests whenever a member is willing to host; no need to "sit around" in the interim, just ask someone to host you.

wulfe...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2016, 12:31:31 PM10/5/16
to i3 Detroit Public
I too would like to second that opinion...  I took a tour, submitted my application, talked to a few people and I am on the fence about joining here or someplace else.  I truly enjoy the people here.. but need to get working on a couple projects...

Does the "member approval board" meet quarterly or what is there time frame.  Not trying to sound like a squeaky wheel or make enemies before I even become a member.. just trying to get a handle on how things are.

Thank you,

Kenn

Roger S

Oct 5, 2016, 12:38:00 PM10/5/16
to i3Detroit
There is no member approval board.  Once you have completed the list of things to do to become a member, you're a member.  That's not to say that someone will be available anytime you want to do this.  Everyone at i3 volunteers their time when they take on a responsibility like membership coordinator or zone coordinator.  Sometimes their schedule outside i3 gets in the way.

Kenn: where are you in completing the list of things?

wulfe...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2016, 3:52:04 AM10/6/16
to i3 Detroit Public
I submitted my list of answers the next day after I came for my tour.. I know that everyone volunteers.. I understand that.. I was told to wait to make my first membership payment until told....

Not trying to be difficult.. just trying to get a handle...

Kenn

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM, <wulfe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I too would like to second that opinion...  I took a tour, submitted my application, talked to a few people and I am on the fence about joining here or someplace else.  I truly enjoy the people here.. but need to get working on a couple projects...

Does the "member approval board" meet quarterly or what is there time frame.  Not trying to sound like a squeaky wheel or make enemies before I even become a member.. just trying to get a handle on how things are.

Thank you,

Kenn

Nathaniel Bezanson

Oct 6, 2016, 9:26:26 PM10/6/16
to i3 Detroit Public
Hi all,

As the outgoing membership onboarding sucker, this is officially not my problem anymore, but I'll try to add some perspective:

The membership application process is cranked along by a human being checking a bunch of things and doing some paperwork. If it was easy, it would have already been implemented in a shell script, so I can assure you there's a lot of crap that happens behind the scenes. There's deliberately no timeline on the volunteer-driven process, and anyone who thinks there should be may be encouraged to run for the position next year!  ;)

The reason there's no timeline is it doesn't really matter and shouldn't hold you back. i3's guest policy is deliberately one of the most open in the world among spaces of our type. As the invited guest of a member, you have basically the same access they do, and can be in the space whenever they're in the space to sign you in and host you as their guest. And if you don't already know enough people in the community for an existing member to be inviting you, what better time to fix that?

Come to events that interest you, come to open nights, come to meetings, they're all on the calendar. There's a ton of stuff on the calendar! Bring some cool stuff you've made -- a show-and-tell item will really help you meet people. Find opportunities to jump in and help with something -- the folks who pitch in for broom-party after the meeting find themselves with more social cred than the ones who skedaddle when the cleaning supplies come out, y'know? Basically, existing members tend to welcome the folks who they'd like to see around more often. That's how a healthy community thrives. Put yourself in that category with your actions, get involved with existing projects and active members, and the exact timing of when your key gets issued will be a minor detail.

We could perhaps do a better job of communicating this. I think a lot of people assume they're expected to join before they can be around, because maybe gyms are like that or something? I have no idea, I've never been in one. ;) The way we work is umop-apisdn from a lot of other entities, and while it's fun to break assumptions, it carries a heavy burden of mixed-up expectations. Paying dues is great, it's what lets us pay our rent and keep the lights on and stuff. But it would be bad for the long-term success of the community if we were to eagerly take dues from folks who weren't gonna stick around, or hadn't been around enough to know. (There are certainly outfits that thrive on exorbitant signup fees and one-time dues and stuff, but that's not the way we want to operate.) The open guest policy and multi-step onboarding process are structured so newbies can get their feet wet *before* taking the plunge, and I hope it's obvious why we find that important.

-Nate B-

Matt Arnold

Oct 17, 2016, 4:42:40 PM10/17/16
to i3 Detroit Public
Kenn, this is a great question with a really important answer.

Unlike a gym member, an i3 "member" is more like a trustee or custodian. That entrusts you with responsibilities. But there's no rush, because nobody needs to be in charge right away. Becoming part of this community is a social thing which you can do with or without membership. Even one of our Board Directors is not a member, and we accept that because of the solid relationship of trust. Just like an officer, a member is a formal official status which is best left until after we get to know each other.

Come around to open nights, make friends, and ask them to host you. Use the space, enjoy it, learn the social expectations. Then, after you know the people well enough to vote in the election, apply for membership, which will give you a vote. Inevitably some would rather just use the equipment and skip the community, and that's OK. But then why seek the sort of "trustee" status which comes with membership?

I made this graphic to describe how the process generally tends to work:

wulfe...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2016, 5:35:57 PM10/24/16
to i3 Detroit Public
I agree totally with all you said...  and I really did enjoy the other night...  and you are correct.. there is no real rush.. its just I work ODD hours...  and sometimes I get the urge to want to come down.. but since I live in Waterford.. its not really just around the corner...  and I have come down twice before and no one was there....  That is my true only concern....

Kenn