Table Top War Games

SWiT

Jan 18, 2017, 11:13:03 AM1/18/17
to i3 Detroit Public
I recently got into a couple table top war games. Deadzone (scifi squad based skirmishes) and Kings of War (giant fantasy battles, Calvary, artillery, infantry, etc.). They have a bit of the feel of Warhammer and Warhammer:40K if you know what those are. What drew me to these two games was the low(er) price point and simplified rules that the company (Manic) makes available for free.

Here are some photos of what I'd made so far. https://goo.gl/photos/x6JCevNeTjV3oHzt6

Is anyone interested in trying out one of these with me tomorrow at the table top gaming meetup?

Clement Quinson

Jan 18, 2017, 11:39:34 AM1/18/17
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
I too have come to the conclusion that Kings of War (KoW) is a fun, affordable and easy to learn game.

Few thoughts:
- I play KoW half scale, eg 15mm miniatures, smaller base sizes, distances and range halved. This is much more manageable on a "normal" table, even if not as accurate. Good enough for a boardgame like experience IMO.

- Instead of using expensive and tedious to collect miniatures, use pieces of printed paper to represent units: doesn't look as good as "real" miniatures, but allows to try out different things. Collecting miniatures is fun, but if you're after the strategy part, and/or the boardgame experience, you don't absolutely need them. It is also sad to start collecting one type "because they look good" and hate how they play...

- I have looked into spin casting (because I could not find satisfying 15mm fantasy miniatures). It sounds like an interesting thing to try out in a hackerspace. Also, read this: "Guerrilla guide to CNC machining, mold making, and resin casting" http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/gcnc/ Having access to a 3D printer and a lasercutter opens interesting options for wargaming, too... even if there aren't that many free (as in free speech) designs out there yet (to my knowledge).

I have started to write an "introduction to tabletop wargame for beginners", based on free KoW rules and paper units and landscape. I am a bit worried about releasing files for these paper units and encouraging people to use them instead of buying miniatures from Mantic, but hey! It is a good way to get new people to play, so it might happen once I am happy with my designs.

Anyone interested in designing stuff with me?

A longtime lurker from a hackerspace on another continent.
ps: among other "not GW/Citadel" companies, you should check out the company Warlord Games. Their WWII Bolt Action is a big success, and easy to get started with.
pps: there are several "virtual" game simulators, but none that I found easy to use enough.

SWiT

Jan 19, 2017, 4:49:42 PM1/19/17
to i3 Detroit Public
Mantic really promotes people playing with whatever minis they have vs. buying theirs. They have a historical KoW that they don't make any actual miniatures for. I also like that Mantic uses the same minis in several different games (KoW, Dungeon Saga, Deadzone, Star Saga, and soon Warpath). The painting and assembling of the minis and terrain pieces is a bit of the charm to me. The only problem with 2D paper units is determining visibility between units but if the field is pretty flat that wouldn't matter.  I'd be interested lasercut acrylic, wood, paper or cardboard units that stand up or fold up as place holders. I'll be in the shop after 7pm tonight if you are around to chat.