Event on Jan 27. Details can be found where?

Gina Sartor

Jan 22, 2018, 7:43:22 PM1/22/18
to i3 Detroit Public
I am a prospective member who cannot come on the next two Friday nights. I ran across some reference to an event on Jan 27 but cannot find any details. Would coming to that count as "visit 1"?

Nathaniel Bezanson

Jan 22, 2018, 7:55:25 PM1/22/18
to i3 Detroit Public
Hi Gina,

As you know, Friday Nite Tours are the designated open-time that we've been able to sustain with the available volunteer and volunteer-coordination effort. There are lots of other opportunities, they're just less regular. Almost all of them are on the calendar, right on the front page of i3detroit.org.

If you're acquainted with any individual members, get in touch with them personally about hosting you as their guest. Members can host their own guests any time they're in the space, and it's the prerogative of each member to decide who they're comfortable hosting and when. And once you complete membership, you in turn will be able to host others. (So if you feel that's important, make a note to get to know some of the incoming newbies once you're settled in!)

Without such specific arrangements, the other good first-visit time is during a meeting, on the first or third tuesday of each month. (Also on the calendar, as always.) All members are encouraged to attend meetings whenever they can, so it's a good time to meet lots of people and get a sense of what else the group is up to.

Once you've been to a tour or a meeting, have a look at the other events on the calendar. Some of them will say members-only, but the rest are open to non-members, so read the descriptions and start coming to events you find interesting. Bear in mind that the members who run each such event will be focused on the event rather than on hosting first-timers, which is why we point people at the tours initially, to get the usual newbie questions out of the way.

Meet some more people, have some fun, and start helping out! You can always ask the person hosting an event if there's some way you can pitch in and get involved. Meeting people and participating in this way is an important part of getting connected into the community, which is really the overarching goal of the onboarding process.

It's normal and expected (and pseudo-required) that completing the membership process will take several visits to the space, spanning several days, and hopefully meeting a whole bunch of people along the way. This is by design, so consider why each step in the process is there, and have fun along the way!

-Nate B-

Jan Henry

Jan 22, 2018, 8:03:25 PM1/22/18
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Hi, the event that was January 27 was an open house, and the date has been postponed to an as-yet-undecided date in March, I believe. Such an event would count as one of your visits on the path to exploring membership, but in the meantime, Tuesdays like Nate mentioned are good options.

What are your interests? What do you like to make? Maybe others who share your interests would be able to host you on a different day if Tuesdays or Fridays aren't possible in your schedule. :-)

Jan

Gina Sartor

Jan 22, 2018, 9:28:52 PM1/22/18
to i3 Detroit Public
Thanks for the info!

Sorry to hear the open house is on the back burner for now-I will look for details in the future. I like the suggestion of coming to a meeting, so it looks like I will make a big push to get myself involved in February.

I live in Ferndale and work as a middle school Design Tech teacher in Walled Lake. I am interested in all types of making and, in particular, learning new skills. I cannot believe I have not pursued membership before-it is kind of my new year's resolution. I have access to many tools at school, so membership always seemed like something I might not utilize in full but I am ready to dive in!

I recently got the urge to purchase a "de-soldering" station when I realized I have boxes of PCB's from things my students reverse engineer. Not sure what I will do with the naked PCBs but there is potential! I would like to enhance my understanding and abilities in electronics and maybe some small welding projects. I am an avid sewer and seamstress, know my way around a vinyl cutter, 3D printer and desktop CNC machine (Shopbot Desktop), and look forward to meeting all sorts of lifelong learners. See you in February-I'll resist the urge to buy that de-soldering station - it's been on my list for three years, I can wait a few months.