This Weekend! Free Electronic Components and Amazing Deals for id3Detroit Members & Friends

David Kozin

Jan 6, 2017, 10:23:58 AM1/6/17
to i3 Detroit Public

Dear Members and Friends of i3Detroit,

This weekend only: Members and friends of i3Detroit will receive free components designed to help you build up the supply needs for the popular Make: Electronics books. No purchase is necessary, just stop by. Once inside the Market, just ask the gentleman at the door where the electronics store is.  When you get to our section, just mention you are associated with i3Detroit. Additionally, you will receive generous discounts off most of the products in the store.

Who we are: My name is David Kozin, and I am the co-founder of the new start-up Upcycled Electronics. Our company is concerned with the way we purchase electronic components and how it impacts end of life parts. We want to work to solve this problem before it starts, and provide an alternative that supplies existing components that can do the same thing. Also, your attendance will help validate to my sponsor that Makers do exist, and Makers would buy products if they didn't cost so much money (especially when you add shipping). In addition to the storefront, we have 33,000 square feet of surplus electronics in a warehouse that I want to bring to the market. We have 3 million vacuum tubes, one of the largest collections in the country.

Upcycled Electronics is on a mission to database vintage and military specification surplus electronics components and combine those components into kits, make them available with a store front, and provide the products akin to the same tools and technologies needed by maker space communities without adding to the multi-millions of pounds of electronics waste that groups like Motor City Free Geek is striving to recycle, up-cycle, and reclaim. Additionally, Upcycled Electronics is focused on lowering the barrier to entry for small purchases of high-reliability components (military spec surplus) which are ideal for extreme and toxic environments requiring accurate report-back and durable operation and lifespan.

Recycled Materials + Up-Cycled Components = Eco-Conscious Technologies

The directions are included below, and my number is 313-854-9557. I encourage Makers that are artists including jewelers, sculpture or any interested maker regarding the Gold hybrid circuits to call me for viewing the items. I will give some out to some members with a demonstrated skill and see what can come from such unique items (some have very significant historical significance and come from an engineer.

Click to expand and look around.

I look forward to seeing you there!

WE ARE LOCATED AT:

2045 DIXIE HIGHWAY WATERFORD, MI 48328

HOURS:

FRIDAY: 4PM – 9PM (readying the store, but you are welcome)

SATURDAY:  10AM – 6PM

SUNDAY: 10AM – 6PM

ATM ON SITE

Roger S

Jan 6, 2017, 10:35:23 AM1/6/17
to i3Detroit
Is this in the Dixieland Flea Market?

David Kozin

Jan 7, 2017, 11:02:09 AM1/7/17
to i3 Detroit Public
Yes. I would like to find a different space with area for reading data sheets, improve organization and stock modern boards, but at this time this is the first physical location.

Pablo Fraccarolli

Jan 8, 2017, 11:58:41 PM1/8/17
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
I visited Upcycled Electronics this past weekend because I was curious about this new start-up and also interested in getting some components for my home automation build.

The Upcycled Electronics store is located in the Dixieland Flea Market Place in Waterford.  This was my first time in what is billed as Oakland County's oldest and largest flea market. It is a huge warehouse full of vendors selling and eclectic mix of antiques, vintage, various goods and services.  The store was a little difficult to find in this large building (it is in the back south corner of the building).

Entering the space you first see many vintage and CB radios, but hugging the walls were electronic components hanging on hooks like you used to see in Radio Shack stores.  Turns out that most of these did come from Radio Shack.  There is a barn or warehouse full of these components that is supplying this tiny store.  In addition to the standard fare resistors and capacitors, there are some other interesting items... like radiation hardened diodes from the 1970s made for the Minuteman ICMBs (nuclear missles).

In speaking to David, his mission is to get these components into the hands of makers.  His challenge is make this happen and to demonstrate to his "sponsor" that this is possible.  How can we help??

If you are an electronics maker, I encourage you to visit the store and talk to David.  I'm glad I did as I walked out with several battery holders, IR receivers, and a hidden RF-band door sensor for a lot less that I could find them online and the small satisfaction that I may have saved them from the landfill.  Thanks, David!

Here are some pictures from my visit.  https://goo.gl/photos/SXk7SLtxtBNtcdNN6

Pablo Fraccarolli

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 2:49 AM, David Kozin <david....@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes. I would like to find a different space with area for reading data sheets, improve organization and stock modern boards, but at this time this is the first physical location.

David Kozin

Jan 13, 2017, 8:03:49 AM1/13/17
to i3 Detroit Public

We are extending the offer for grab bags of free components to members of i3Detroit.
I appreciate the kind words from Pablo, and we will be at the flea market location today from 4-10, Saturday and Sunday from 10-5. I will be available during the week working to catalog products for e-commerce and also submitting BOMs and will can come back with a price.

It is important for this to continue, bodies need to show up and ask for the Electronics shop from the gentleman as you walk in the door or in the office on the right.

Just show up. Stock up on 1000 free resistors or more.

Your presence demonstrates the viability for filling a gap for providing high-end upcycled parts and unique project kits that the Detroit area maker community would find value and help me demonstrate that the primary owner of the collection sees an increase in customers so I can maintain the store and connection to a huge warehouse with 25 years collecting surplus military, industrial, commercial and private components and products.

I hope to make it to the space to work on membership and my idea to construct tree ornaments that are fire detectors using empirically tested circuits for effectiveness at lowest voltage supply and what types of alarms and sensors can be used for the best results. We can use relationships with DTE, DPS and DFD and an experienced grant writer to create a STEM educational event (possibly with DAPCEP) for traditional underprivileged students. This allows kids from k-12 opportunity for creating the ornaments with easy snap on versions or more advanced soldering and at best we may save a life and produce a STEM educational lesson making something special with sponsorship by DPS and DTE on fire safety. The design can be adapted to include symbols other than tree ornaments and simply act as stationary fire alarms. This is were our stock in flame proof and S-level reliability resistors and other components will come in handy for testing.

Thanks, I hope to see some of you there!

David Kozin

Jeremy Leonard

Jan 16, 2017, 7:46:10 AM1/16/17
to i3 Detroit Public
I just saw this, I'm sorry I missed it. Will there ever be a repeat?

David Kozin

Jan 17, 2017, 2:45:13 PM1/17/17
to i3 Detroit Public

This will be the last 3 days, but our storefront is being prepared at Upcycled.com and our social site to unite other makers that decided, I.Upcycled.it.

To be frank, I am trying to assemble some kits and just clean my Lab area.
You can message me directly if you have thoughts, and particularly the jewelry makers, because it is unnecessary to drive that far for a container of 22+k gold long legged beautiful open hybrid circuits that I would love to see as a wearable. I have many of the specs on these pieces which provide exciting dimension to the pieces.

I read this small piece, and I thought how life would have been different if JS Pitman and his Strunkian view of circuits ruled the final design.

I love old Radio and Hobby magazines and this was a gem. It is a letter to the Correspondence section of Radio- Electronics December 1961.

Dear editor,
I was rather surprised to see an article like "electronic ignition for your car" in the September 1961 issue. Admittedly, a transistorized ignition system is a fun project worthy of discussion if it is properly designed. However, proper design involves, among other things, the use of as simple circuit as possible that will do the job efficiently and reliably. How can a little black box that contains one Transformer, two transistors, 12 resistors, 8 rectifiers, 7 capacitors, 1 thybertron and a thermal relay be considered simple or reliable? There are too many parts to malfunction.
As if this weren't enough, there is a Rube Goldberg buzzer "quick start" and, when this produces undesirable side effects you file off the leading edge of the distributor rotor. Such articles would be better left to the electronics section of one of the backyard mechanics magazine.

J.S. Pitman