Computer problem

Martee Held

Jun 11, 2016, 10:00:34 PM6/11/16
to i3 Detroit Public
My friend is experiencing an issue with Windows 10. Has anyone else had a similar problem and could her out? Please reply if you think you know how to solve it. Thanks.

Martee

Hi!!  I am going to explain about my computer.  I go to the windows icon on the key board or on the computer itself, and the start button won't work to sign out.  You would have to right click the mouse to get it working.  Usually you hold your cursor over the windows icon on the left side, then left click the mouse and the apps, ect. and shut down will come up.  But; if you have to do it the other way you don't get the full box up like usual.  I have windows 10.
I am having to do the windows restart to an earlier time in order to get it to work again.  Any suggestions would be helpful for me if this should
happen again.  Thanks.  Cindy

rdo...@bizserve.com

Jun 11, 2016, 11:29:17 PM6/11/16
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
If the computer just won't shut down all the way then she may have to disable the "Fast Shutdown option". I ran into that on an HP system that was upgraded to Windows 10. It will make it easier for someone to help with a little more information.

- Did the system come with Windows 10 from the factory or was it upgraded from Windows 7/8/8.1?

- Was the system just upgraded to 10 and now it acts up or has it had Windows 10 for a while that worked and just now started acting up? If it was running Windows 10 fine then scan your system for Malware.

- Have you installed the latest updates for Windows 10? I've had it on a test machine and some updated break things and the next ones usually fix them.

- Specifying the brand and model of the computer will help. Chances are that you're not the only one with that same issue.

Robert

Martee

Martee Held

Jun 12, 2016, 4:46:20 AM6/12/16
to i3 Detroit Public
I forwarded your questions to Cindy and will get back as soon as I receive a response.

Martee Held

Jun 12, 2016, 10:27:29 AM6/12/16
to i3 Detroit Public
Hi!!  I am writing in response to another question that was asked of me.  We have windows 8 computers, upgraded to 8.1 then upgraded to 10.  This is when we noticed the issue.  Just my computer so far.  I have a dell inspiron laptop computer.   Yes it will work if I right click it.  But; I just don't get why the windows icon itself just stops working altogether at times unless I go back to a later point on the computer.  Thanks for this input.  Cindy

rdo...@bizserve.com

Jun 12, 2016, 10:35:28 AM6/12/16
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
When you had Windows 8 did you install any 3rd party Start menu tools or other addons? They may not be compatible with Windows 10. I read an article that mentioned that issue. If you had installed any tools like that remove them. Also remove any extra's that you may have installed and don't need. I only install things that I need and actually use on the machines. Also disable any background apps you don't and check the privacy settings and the way updates are shared. Microsoft enables all sorts of crap to gather data by default. Worst part is that even after fixing all those settings they seem to reset them for you back to open settings to gather data after large updates.

Martee Held

Jun 12, 2016, 5:24:07 PM6/12/16
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Hi!! No I have just updated windows updates, and we've always used Norton
on the computers. I don't download any apps at all. I leave the computer
as it is. I only use programs that is on the computer itself. Hope this
answers all the questions. Computer fan's are fine. Never overheats. I've
read that a lot of people are having issues with the windows icon. I've
only updated from Microsoft when it's been offered. No 3rd. party programs.
Cindy

Martee Held

Jun 12, 2016, 10:31:56 PM6/12/16
to i3 Detroit Public

Robert, I believe this is the best solution so far to her question--that there really is no solution as of yet.

Windows 10 Upgrade Problems: Start Screen Won’t Open (New)

Some users report that the Start Screen/Start Menu won’t open after the Windows 10 Upgrade. When this happens, try hard restarting your PC by holding its power button until it turns off. Then turn it back on.

Windows 10 users should have this issue less going forward, but it still happens on occasion. You don’t always have to do the hard restart; sometimes Start will just show up after a few moments.

Does this sound like your problem?

No fix given but Dell had to release a lot of new drivers to work with 10.

Matt Huber

Jun 28, 2016, 10:34:48 AM6/28/16
to i3 Detroit Public
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but Microsoft recently posted a Start Menu troubleshooter that may help:

~Matt

Martee Held

Jun 28, 2016, 12:33:50 PM6/28/16
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt. I’ll forward this to all interested parties.

Martee Held

Jun 28, 2016, 5:12:37 PM6/28/16
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Matt, I have come across this problem on several occasions and not just from being upgraded to Windows 10 either.  This is a known issue and problem with the new Windows 10 Start Menu but Microsoft does not have a sure fire fix for this known problem.  So the only real way to get around this problem is to create a brand new User Account Profile with Admin Privileges.  Log into the new User Account Profile you created and then copy your data files over from the corrupted user account into the new user account profile you created.  Once all of your data files are moved over then you can go back into the User Account Profiles and Delete the corrupted user account.

Unfortunately this is a huge pain in the you know what but it is the only way to correct the situation.  I have tried many ways, fixes and supposedly solutions to try and fix the issues with the Windows 10 corrupted Start Menu but none of them have worked.  If they did then I would have the answer by now for this issue.  So this is the only way to make it work right again for now until Microsoft fixes this known issue.

Thank You,

Brian Barnes

The TechDoctor

(Formerly) Computer-Me-Tutor

239-851-3678

E-mail:  compute...@comcast.net

Website:  www.computermetutor.com

Hello Bruce and all interested: Someone just posted this message on one of the bulletin boards here in Michigan: