Becoming a member after sponsor went M.I.A.

조회수 42회
읽지 않은 첫 메시지로 건너뛰기

R Burns

읽지 않음,
2017. 7. 26. 오후 5:25:4217. 7. 26.
받는사람 i3 Detroit Public
Hello!

I briefly frequented i3 here and there over the past year and I love everything about it as well as the community. It is also part of why I moved to the area from Oregon. Anyway, I was so excited to become a member and had started the process and the scavenger hunt but then my member sponsor basically stopped going to i3 and I'm not even sure if they're a member anymore.

So my question is, can I still become a member without my sponsor? If so, how can I make this happen?

Looking forward to seeing what i3 members have cooked up for Maker Faire this weekend.

All the best,

Robert

Nathaniel Bezanson

읽지 않음,
2017. 7. 27. 오후 12:32:4217. 7. 27.
받는사람 i3 Detroit Public
Hi Robert,

Well how do you meet someone to sponsor you in the first place? Come to the space during open hours! Currently those are Friday Nite Tours (every friday except this one; maker faire prep means we're really not set up for visitors) and the member meetings on the first and third Tuesdays. Or other events on the calendar...

If there's something you want to teach or share, working with an existing member to make that happen is one of the fastest ways to become part of the community, which is the goal that the whole membership processes is set up to achieve. As you work through the new-member quest, you'll find some answers that are obvious if you've been around the space a bit, and some that require some digging. Learning how and where to dig for information on your own is what sets you up for long-term success as a keyholding member, and any existing member can help you get familiar with all that.

Looking forward to meeting you,
-Nate B-

Matt Arnold

읽지 않음,
2017. 7. 27. 오후 2:52:2717. 7. 27.
받는사람 i3 Detroit Public
In my five years of membership at i3Detroit, including as a Board Director and an Officer, I have never heard of the concept of being sponsored. Did this change recently?

What we require from prospective members is that they prove they can find answers for themselves in our thorough online materials. Is there currently something in our online membership process that says a prospective member needs a sponsor?

-Matt A

Mike Fink

읽지 않음,
2017. 7. 27. 오후 5:19:4517. 7. 27.
받는사람 i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
No, i3 does not require a formal "sponsor" for new members (as some other makerspaces around the country do). Sometimes "sponsor" gets used synonymously with "host" to refer to the member that signs in a guest, and this doesn't have to be the same member every time you visit.

R Burns

읽지 않음,
2017. 8. 3. 오전 12:41:1617. 8. 3.
받는사람 i3 Detroit Public
Thank you for the info! I will come to a member meeting.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone, by "sponsor" I meant "host". I was under the impression that they had to be there anytime I visited the space during my process of becoming a member, thanks for clearing that up.

Andrew Meyer

읽지 않음,
2017. 8. 3. 오전 7:23:5617. 8. 3.
받는사람 i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
To be fair, you do need *a* host while you are at the space as a guest. However, you could potentially have a different host every time.

On Aug 3, 2017 12:41 AM, "R Burns" <burn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for the info! I will come to a member meeting.

I didn't mean to confuse anyone, by "sponsor" I meant "host". I was under the impression that they had to be there anytime I visited the space during my process of becoming a member, thanks for clearing that up.

전체답장
작성자에게 답글
전달
새 메시지 0개