Re: [i3detroit-public] Laser cutter for DIY monitor project

Aaron Dubin

Feb 4, 2013, 8:47:17 PM2/4/13
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
The lasers are nearly free for members and non-members alike (we require a small fee to cover the cost of consumables like lifespan on the laser tube) however they do require someone who's trained on the laser to operate since they are fairly fickle beasts and can be damaged without careful attention. That said, there are a number of i3 members trained on the laser (I'm not well enough versed...yet!) who read this list regularly and should be able to help you get that cut fairly easily. Fridays evenings are great days to drop by and there's usually someone there who can help you operate the system.

Look here for a list of materials that the laser can and can not cut. Some things on there may surprise you like that acrylic is safe, but plexiglass is "sniff this and die" dangerous, so check out the laser safe materials for some ideas.

http://i3detroit.com/wi/index.php?title=Laser_Cutter

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Les Orchard <m...@lmorchard.com> wrote:
Hi there! I'm not a member, but have been flirting with the idea for some time. Now, I finally have a project that could desperately use some laser cutter time eventually: A DIY lightweight computer monitor for use at the couch.

    http://blog.lmorchard.com/2013/01/21/gaming-from-the-orchard-house-couch#Laptop_decapitation
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/deusx/8439217201/in/photostream
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/deusx/8446134130/in/photostream

I've built v1.0 by hand out of acrylic sheets from Home Depot, using a scoring tool and a Dremel. My manufacturing tolerances were, well... I'm happy it's working, but it's ugly and I'm glad the living room isn't brightly lit.

So, I'm puttering around in Inkscape to design a v2.0 housing for the LCD panel. It's a bit awkward for sending to Ponoko without wasting material, so I thought it would be awesome to swing by i3Detroit eventually.

Some questions:

* Do I need to be a member to "borrow" the laser cutter, or can I bribe a member with beer or other favors? (This could be my excuse to finally join)
* Is there a lighter weight, yet strong material I could use for this monitor enclosure that can be laser cut?
* General thoughts / ideas / advice on this thing I cobbled crudely together?

Thanks!

Roger S

Feb 4, 2013, 9:25:07 PM2/4/13
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Plexi "cuts like butter" ... and it's VERY accurate.

Matt Arnold

Feb 6, 2013, 7:52:05 AM2/6/13
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Les,

Go ahead and email me off list to set  up a time to use the laser cutter. I'll walk you through everything you need to know, and supervise your first cut. Thanks for sending this inquiry! I look forward to seeing your project.

-Matt

Pete Prodoehl

Feb 7, 2013, 7:55:12 PM2/7/13
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
+1 to Les going to i3. ;)

Pete
(from Milwaukee Makerspace, and old friend)