Fwd: Host a sweet workshop @ AHA?

Edward L Platt

Oct 27, 2016, 2:07:06 PM10/27/16
to doiiit-makers, i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Hi friends!

There's a musician/maker named Moldover touring hacker/makerspaces and doing a cool workshop. The workshop is to make a light-based theremin that fits into a CD case (info and awesome video below). He's looking for venues in MI. If anyone is interested in hosting one of the workshops, let me know and I'll put you in touch!

Happy hacking,
Ed

Light Theremin soldering workshop with Moldover

---- Materials needed:

- Soldering station for each participant
- solder to share
- cutters to share
- 1 sound system with a 3.5mm audio connection (a pair of computer speakers is sufficient)
- 1 video projector (beamer)

---- Time:

approximately 2 hours for the workshop, another 45 minutes for the presentation.  3 hour window is safe.

---- Workshop Description

Build your own Light-Theremin with Moldover
In this basic soldering workshop, Moldover will take you through the steps to build your own Light-Theremin CD case (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8UzSVFUIc0).  Even if you've never soldered before, this workshop will give you the confidence in two hours.  If you do have experience you'll learn how to solder better, and walk away with a fun and unique instrument, plus a copy of Moldover's album.

No experience required
No equipment required: soldering stations & Light Theremin kits provided
This is an all ages, hands-on workshop
Cost: $35 for kit/materials
Can't afford a kit, but seriously dedicated to learning? Talk to us!
Space is limited, please come early

After the workshop Moldover will give a presentation on the design of The Light-Theremin CD Case, and his other circuit-board artworks.

About the artist

”A musician at heart, inventor born of curiosity, and innovator by necessity, I believe the world calls him the 'Godfather of Controllerism' for damned good reasons". -John Tackett, Crowd Wire

Historically there are only a handful of artists who have pushed the limits both with their music and with the instruments of its creation.  What Bach was to the keyboard, what Hendrix was to the guitar, this is what Moldover is to the controller.  Disillusioned with "press play DJs”, fans from all walks are drawn to Moldover shows, eager to witness electronic music’s return to virtuosity, improvisation, and emotional authenticity.  Dig deeper into Moldover’s work and you’ll uncover a subversive cultural icon who has redefined physical media with his Instrument-Albums, revolutionized musical collaboration with his custom Jamboxes, and is inspiring an entire generation of forward thinking music-makers by openly sharing his methods and madness.

---- Promo Tools

Photos

Video
Artist Performance - https://youtu.be/KoYAdP-pEmc

--
anonymous feedback sayat.me/alexglow
my fave hardware projects ☆ hackster.io/alexs-faves

--
Edward L. Platt
PhD student, University of Michigan School of Information

Tips for stopping email overload: https://hbr.org/2012/02/stop-email-overload-1

This digital electronic mail message was sent from my general-purpose desktop personal computing machine.  Please forgive any overly-verbose, long-winded, rambling prose.

Lewis Dennison

Oct 28, 2016, 5:03:47 PM10/28/16
to i3 Detroit Public, doiiit...@umich.edu
I would go