I3 Mural making progress!

signaleddetroit

Feb 27, 2017, 10:40:12 PM2/27/17
to i3 Detroit Public
For that havn't been following on the murals status or don't have access to the I3 GG list I decided to post to the public board for also I3 fans. The artist will be posting in this thread, listening, and sharing his progress through the mural.

Artist, Anthony Lee is drafting up ideas of the proposed metallic dragon being worked on by different disciplined skills found at our space. I did toss out the idea to a few members regarding the location of the mural. We think the front face of the building including the garage door would be best (or just garage door pending on budget and/or majority member input) since the sidewall is covered the the ugly rusted fence next door.  We brought the artist in during a member meeting  and he was stunned by the space and inspired by the multi-disciplinary open knowledge community we have. My interpretation of his vision was a Rivera style mural of the assembly of the dragon. I do really believe Anthony (Muralist) is very passionate about creating a piece that engages its community. This is an opportunity to bring a special element to our space and to support a growing and prolific local artist.

From member Sam:

"I second Jamie, especially with the increase in foot traffic thanks to a certain creature catching game. Along with our new signage a mural will also add to drawing in interest from the community. Not to mention robot dragons sound really cool. :)"

Ryan Busch

Feb 28, 2017, 12:11:12 PM2/28/17
to i3 Detroit Public
A mural would be a great addition to the building.  I look forward to seeing the progress on this.

Considering many hours of work would be invested on the mural, and preserving its condition is important... Has there been any consideration to vandalism or tagging ? Are there preventative coatings that could easily be applied to such a piece in case it does get unwanted additions?

Anthony Lee

Mar 1, 2017, 11:44:45 AM3/1/17
to i3 Detroit Public
Hey Thanks SO much Tom and I3 team again for having me aboard.

Honored to be apart of this project with you and help your place grow!

Here is a rough draft sketch of the concept we decided to run with, it's posted on my Instagram page at the moment: instagram.com/a.l.wrk <--------<<<<

Please let me know if you have any inputs or concerns!

As Tom said, it's inspired by Diego Rivera's Detroit Industry Murals at the DIA,

And the final result would be very shiny, chrome, colorful celestial Metal Robo dragon, and feel like a hanger from the Mobile Suit Gundam show.

Color swatches and further ideations on there way soon!

ALSO Ryan, paint technology today makes even basic primer in one paints impressively durable, as for vandalism,
I wouldn't worry about that too much because I would come back in a heartbeat to paint it back if necessary!
(Unless you want to ciran wrap,vinyl over or laminate the entire wall/garage somehow hahaha)

You can find more  examples of my previous work here!

Behance.net/anthony-lee

Cheers

signaleddetroit

Mar 3, 2017, 12:01:16 AM3/3/17
to i3 Detroit Public
Attached are photos of the drafts of the mural that may be on our bay door sent to me by the anthony!
20170227_213544.jpeg
IMG_20170227_180536_929.jpeg
20170227_213525.jpeg
20170227_213614.jpeg

Anthony Lee

Mar 4, 2017, 9:24:44 PM3/4/17
to i3 Detroit Public
Heres a clearer image with higher contrast
and a tone study I did today

Keep it?

or Brighter?
I3 tones draft.jpg
i3.jpg

Charlie Rysenga

Mar 26, 2017, 10:00:57 PM3/26/17
to i3 Detroit Public
Dude. That looks awesome.

How long until we have it on our door?

Anthony Lee

Mar 27, 2017, 2:05:07 PM3/27/17
to i3 Detroit Public
Hey THanks a lot Charles! Glad someone likes it!
We can literally start next week
Once your team/team leaders give me the ok go
And put down the first installment for supplies

😃🤓

Anthony Lee

Apr 11, 2017, 5:57:57 PM4/11/17
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com

Thanks so much man!
So glad some one enjoys it!

As soon as we get it authorized by your team leaders
With first installment
For supplies
Well can make it roar
And get started literally that week.

Tom Kim

May 7, 2017, 11:49:46 AM5/7/17
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
I liked the rough draft drawings. Anthony, do you think whatever you drew would be fit for the bay door and additions/revisions would be possible for the rest of the wall?
3 minutes ago · Sent from Mobile

Anthony Lee

May 7, 2017, 12:34:35 PM5/7/17
to i3detroi...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely Tom, it's all ready to go, because it's in the shape of a factory like hangar there is definitely more space and room for more additions and gadgets to insert later we could honestly start this week if you all are feeling good about it.

I'm rdy when you are!