How to install Hypertable for our new users?

maqiang

May 23, 2008, 12:51:21 PM5/23/08
to Hypertable User
I tried several times to install Hypertable according to "Up and
Running with Hadoop" ,but failed. And I find the explaination is too
simple. I'm fraid I can find few file to explain how to install
hypertable in details. Who can help me ,thanks very much!

Doug Judd

May 23, 2008, 3:50:47 PM5/23/08
to hyperta...@googlegroups.com
Can you be a little more explicit?  What exactly went wrong?  Can you describe the steps you took and also show the output of any command that led you to believe that the installation failed?  Thanks.  A big part of the development of this system is developing good documentation so that it is easy for people to jump in and use it.  Tell us specifically what went wrong and we'll either file a bug, or fix the documentation.  Thanks!

- Doug

josh rotenberg

May 23, 2008, 3:53:30 PM5/23/08
to hyperta...@googlegroups.com
On a somewhat related note ....

I'm in the process of putting together a ready to go (well, ready to
play with, at least) Amazon EC2 instance with hypertable built and
installed. So far, so good with hypertable, going for Hadoop and KFS
next. I'll announce the public ami ID when I've got everything
working. Hopefully someone will find this useful.

Thanks,

Josh

Doug Judd

May 23, 2008, 4:00:24 PM5/23/08
to hyperta...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Josh!  This will be very useful.

- Doug
Message has been deleted

Schubert Zhang

Jul 22, 2008, 7:58:44 AM7/22/08
to Hypertable User
Step by step to setup HyperTable.
Here I just share my installation experience.

1. Linux Platform:
I use Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5(Upate 1) on a 4xCPU(x86_64) PC
server.
Kernel: 2.6.18-53.el5 (x86_64)

2. cmake:
Download the cmake-2.6.0.tar.gz from http://www.cmake.org/ and build
and install it according to the site:
./bootstrap
make
make install
The default install dir is /usr/local, please go to /usr/local/bin to
have a look.

2. BerkeleyDB.4.7:
Downlod db-4.7.25.tar.gz from http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/berkeley-db/index.html
Although the Red Hat EL5.1 provides BDB4.3, but it is ok to install
another version db-4.7.25. You need not to uninstall the existing
db4-4.3, since HyperTable/Hyperspace will use the new one. In fact in
my previous installation, the exising 4.3 BDB is ok to be used. So I
think this step is optional if 4.3 exists.
Then, install BDB4.7 according README or INSTALL document in the
package.
../dist/configure --enable-cxx --enable-java #(java optional)
make
make install
Defaultly, the DBD4.7 is installed under /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.7/

3. boost:
Download boost_1_35_0.tar.gz from http://www.boost.org
Install according to the Getting Started Guide on the site.
Defaultly, this version Boost is installed under /usr/local/, please
go to /usr/local/include/ and /usr/local/lib/ to have a look.
Since the 1.35.0 is ready, you can(need to) uninstall the old
version(boost1.33) from the system, you can execute rpm -e boost.

4. log4cpp:
Download log4cpp-1.0.tar.gz from http://log4cpp.sourceforge.net/ and
install according the site.
Defaultly, it is installed under /usr/local, please go to /usr/local/
lib/ and /usr/local/include/ to have a look.

5. expat, readline, ncurses
Usually, these packages are ready on the system, you can use rpm -qa|
grep .. to check one by one. If something no exists, please install
its rpm.

6. tcmalloc (Optional)
Although it is optional, but this package is very usful for
performance improvement.
Download google-perftools-0.98.tar.gz from http://code.google.com/p/google-perftools/
But if your host is x86_64, you need install libunwind firstly. Please
download libunwind-0.98.6.tar.gz from http://www.nongnu.org/libunwind/,
this package is for call-chain of a program.
Build and install libunwind as following:
CFLAGS=-fPIC ./configure
make CFLAGS=-fPIC
make CFLAGS=-fPIC install
--------------------------
Then install google-perftools-0.98, the execution is just as:
configure/make/make install
These packages are installed under /usr/local/lib,

7. ldconfig
Since we installed some libs under /usr/local/lib/, we should add
these libs into lib path. Do following:
echo "/usr/local/lib" > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/usr_local_lib.conf
ldconfig

8. HyperTable
Now, at last, it is time to install HyperTable. It is because some
advanced technologies are used by the authors. If you want to try KFS,
you will find same thing.
Download hypertable-0.9.0.6-alpha-src.tar.gz fro http://code.google.com/p/hypertable/
Install as following:
(1) make a install dir: for example /home/schunert/test/hypertable
(2) make a build dir: for example /home/schubert/test/src/
hypertable-0.9.0.6-alpha/build, and go to this dir.
(3) cmake <your_source_dir>: for example cmake ..
Strongly suggest checking the output of cmake command. These output
are usually location information about related tools and libs, pay
attention to the location of related libs, especially boost and
BerkeleyDB. Usually, anything is ok. But we have tow versions of
BerkeleyDB, we should change something as next step.
(4) Use ccmake to modify the configuration,execute: ccmake
<your_source_dir>, modify following config variables:
BDB_INCLUDE_DIR /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.7/include
BDB_LIBRARY /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.7/lib/
libdb_cxx.so
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX /home/schubert/test/hypertable
You can open CMakeCache.txt to double check these config info.
(5) Then build it
make
make install
^-^It will take some time, let's to have a cup of coffee. ^-^

Now, everything is OK, let's try to run the great HyperTable on a
single host use local filesystem as following:
cd /home/schubert/test/hypertable/0.9.0.6
bin/start-all-servers.sh local

You will see 4 processes are startup:
Successfully started DFSBroker (local)
Successfully started Hyperspace
Successfully started Hypertable.Master
Successfully started Hypertable.RangeServer

Now, you can try the HQLTutorial. Enjoy it!

On May 24, 4:00 am, "Doug Judd" <d...@zvents.com> wrote:
> Thank you, Josh! This will be very useful.
>
> - Doug
>
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM, josh rotenberg <joshrotenb...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On a somewhat related note ....
>
> > I'm in the process of putting together a ready to go (well, ready to
> > play with, at least) Amazon EC2 instance with hypertable built and
> > installed. So far, so good with hypertable, going for Hadoop and KFS
> > next. I'll announce the public ami ID when I've got everything
> > working. Hopefully someone will find this useful.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Josh
>
> > On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Doug Judd <d...@zvents.com> wrote:
> > > Can you be a little more explicit? What exactly went wrong? Can you
> > > describe the steps you took and also show the output of any command that
> > led
> > > you to believe that the installation failed? Thanks. A big part of the
> > > development of this system is developing good documentation so that it is
> > > easy for people to jump in and use it. Tell us specifically what went
> > wrong
> > > and we'll either file a bug, or fix the documentation. Thanks!
>
> > > - Doug

Message has been deleted