Client expiration

Matthew Tamayo

Jan 30, 2015, 3:53:12 AM1/30/15
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Do Hyperdex clients have an inactivity timeout? We've seen clients time out overnight, when they're not used.

This means that maintaining a pool of clients is a bit more complicated. Would be nice to have an isGood() function of some sort.

Robert Escriva

Feb 2, 2015, 12:49:38 PM2/2/15
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

Can you provide more details of what a "time out" looks like? Does it
seem like Issue 200[1] describes what you see?

There are situations in which a client will be expired, (the EC2 bug for
instance[2]), but this isn't something I would generally expect. If
you're seeing it on a non-virtual cluster, or a virtual cluster with the
bug fixed[2], I'd like to understand a little better so I can look into
it.

-Robert

[1] https://github.com/rescrv/HyperDex/issues/200
[2] http://hyperdex.org/doc/latest/TuningHyperDex/#x16-910003

Matthew Tamayo

Feb 2, 2015, 3:02:01 PM2/2/15
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
The exact exception being thrown is

org.hyperdex.client.HyperDexClientException: coordinator failure: connection to chain_node(bind_to=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1982, token=2671586383055542604) broke (Transport endpoint is not connected):  backoff before retrying
        at org.hyperdex.client.Client.search(Native Method)

The coordinator seems fine and we're able to connect and perform searches on the space using python.  Restarting our service, but not the cluster, also seems to fix everything, so we that's what led us to think it was a timeout issue.

Regards,
Matthew