How to update HyperDex from 1.0.5 to 1.1.0 for Ubuntu 12.04?

Bùi Võ Quốc Bảo

Feb 19, 2014, 12:49:36 PM2/19/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
HyperDex 1.1.0 was released some days ago but I cannot get the updated version from my ubuntu 12.04.4. It always shows that HyperDex 1.0.5 is the newest version.
And also I have updated 'replicant' to version 0.4 and now I cannot start hyperdex coordinator anymore (hyperdex 1.0.5). It gives me an error:

hyperdex coordinator -f -l 127.0.0.1 -p 1982

replicant-daemon: symbol lookup error: replicant-daemon: undefined symbol: _ZN61FLAG__namespace_do_not_use_directly_use_DECLARE_int32_instead16FLAGS_logbufsecsE

Thanks for your helps.
Bao Bui

Robert Escriva

Feb 19, 2014, 8:30:33 PM2/19/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
I've re-rolled the HyperDex packages with a higher version number. This
should help your package manager pick up the change (1.1.0-1 to
1:1.1.0-2).

Can you upgrade and see if this solves both issues? I can install and
run all of our tests from the 12.04 packages.

-Robert
> --

> [1] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Bùi Võ Quốc Bảo

Feb 19, 2014, 10:16:53 PM2/19/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

I have updated HyperDex to 1.1.0 but the error still exists. You can see the attachment for more details.

Thanks,
Bao Bui

Vào 08:30:33 UTC+7 Thứ năm, ngày 20 tháng hai năm 2014, Robert Escriva đã viết:
hyperdex_error.png

Cameron Hatfield

Feb 20, 2014, 6:18:14 PM2/20/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
I am having the same issue as well, in a chef built vagrant VM, running ubuntu 12.10.

Which shows a breaking ABI change in glog from 0.3.2 to 0.3.3, with the removal of the aforementioned symbol

However, I am using the ubuntu installed 0.3.2-3, not 3.3, and the replicant daemon is linking to the installed library. Also, just to double check, running nm on the installed glog .so returns no exported symbol for the above..

If there is anything I can provide to help, please let me know.

Regards,
Cameron

dpkg output:
ii  libgoogle-glog0                     0.3.2-3ubuntu1               amd64
ii  hyperdex                            1:1.1.0-2+precise1           amd64        A feature-rich distributed key-value store
ii  hyperdex-common                     1:1.1.0-2+precise1           amd64        The "hyperdex" command
ii  hyperdex-coordinator                1:1.1.0-2+precise1           amd64        The coordinator for HyperDex
ii  hyperdex-daemon                     1:1.1.0-2+precise1           amd64        The daemon for HyperDex
ii  hyperdex-tools                      1:1.1.0-2+precise1           amd64        Tools for managing a HyperDex cluster
ii  libhyperdex-admin0                  1:1.1.0-2+precise1           amd64        Admin library for HyperDex
ii  libhyperdex-client0                 1:1.1.0-2+precise1           amd64        Client library for HyperDex
ii  libhyperleveldb0                    1.0.2-1+precise1             amd64        A fast key-value storage library
ii  python-hyperdex                     1:1.1.0-2+precise1           amd64        Python bindings for HyperDex
ii  python-hyperdex-admin               1:1.1.0-2+precise1           amd64        Python admin bindings for HyperDex
ii  python-hyperdex-client              1:1.1.0-2+precise1           amd64        Python client bindings for HyperDex

run output:
vagrant@vagrant-ubuntu-quantal-64:/usr/lib/replicant/replicant-0.4.0$ ./replicant-daemon
./replicant-daemon: symbol lookup error: ./replicant-daemon: undefined symbol: _ZN61FLAG__namespace_do_not_use_directly_use_DECLARE_int32_instead16FLAGS_logbufsecsE

Robert Escriva

Feb 20, 2014, 7:41:58 PM2/20/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
I'm still trying to figure out what's going on here. We have some
machines that install and run every test case and all the documentation
examples in a pbuilder chroot for each Ubuntu release. Obviously, these
tests passed or we wouldn't have made the release :-).

At the same time, I cannot find the undefined symbol in the library
using either "nm -g <lib>" or "nm -g --dynamic <lib>", so I'm left
puzzled as to why we can successfully build the packages (and then
install/use them) without encountering the same error.

Right now, I'm looking for a work-around to see if we can get the same
feature in a different way. This will require another release, which
can take some time to churn out (the release is quick, the packages take
time). Ideally, I'd like to avoid doing that if there's a more relevant
fix, as working around it doesn't solve the underlying problem.

By chance is the vagrant VM configured with with some multi-arch magic?
I've hit problems in the past with multi-arch support causing trouble.

-Robert
> > For more options, visit [1][1]https://groups.google.com/groups/
> opt_out.

> > [1] [2]https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
>
> --

> [1] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> [2] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> [3] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Cameron Hatfield

Feb 24, 2014, 3:00:26 PM2/24/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Anything specific you want me to check for when checking for multi-arch magic?

-Cameron

Cameron Hatfield

Feb 24, 2014, 3:12:57 PM2/24/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com

Cameron Hatfield

Feb 24, 2014, 3:22:23 PM2/24/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
And one last thing from my research. Bug on the glog library, referencing the same issue, but for windows:

Something to do with the gflags library?

-Cameron

Robert Escriva

Feb 24, 2014, 3:27:06 PM2/24/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for these pointers. I'll setup a VM with that vagrant image
and see if I can figure out what's going wrong/what is different from my
test environment (straight ubuntu-server install).

-Robert

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:22:23PM -0800, Cameron Hatfield wrote:
> And one last thing from my research. Bug on the glog library, referencing the
> same issue, but for windows:
> https://code.google.com/p/google-glog/issues/detail?id=91&can=1&q=symbol
>
> Something to do with the gflags library?
>
> -Cameron
>
> On Monday, February 24, 2014 12:12:57 PM UTC-8, Cameron Hatfield wrote:
>
> Also, this is the vagrant image I am using:
> [1]http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/vagrant/quantal/current/
> > The one hint I have is this: [2]http://upstream-tracker.org/
> com/groups/
> > opt_out.

> > > [1] [2][4]https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> >
> > --
> opt_out.

> > [1] [6]https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> > [2] [7]https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> > [3] [8]https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
>
> --

> [1] http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/vagrant/quantal/current/quantal-server-cloudimg-amd64-vagrant-disk1.box
> [2] http://upstream-tracker.org/compat_reports/glog/
> [3] https://groups.google.com/groups/
> [4] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> [5] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> [6] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> [7] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> [8] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> [9] https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Bùi Võ Quốc Bảo

Feb 27, 2014, 4:26:07 AM2/27/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have just resolved the error (at least in my case). There is a newer version of glog library manually installed on my ubuntu. So, I downgraded the glog library to the version from the hyperdex ppa, and everything is ok now.

Bao Bui.

Vào 03:27:06 UTC+7 Thứ ba, ngày 25 tháng hai năm 2014, Robert Escriva đã viết:

Robert Escriva

Mar 17, 2014, 12:04:55 PM3/17/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cameron,

I've installed HyperDex on a fresh Vagrant VM using the image you
provided. Everything seems to work for me. Is there another set of
repositories you're adding to the system before installing HyperDex?

-Robert

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:22:23PM -0800, Cameron Hatfield wrote:
> And one last thing from my research. Bug on the glog library, referencing the
> same issue, but for windows:
> https://code.google.com/p/google-glog/issues/detail?id=91&can=1&q=symbol
>
> Something to do with the gflags library?
>
> -Cameron
>
> On Monday, February 24, 2014 12:12:57 PM UTC-8, Cameron Hatfield wrote:
>
> Also, this is the vagrant image I am using:
> [1]http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com/vagrant/quantal/current/
> > The one hint I have is this: [2]http://upstream-tracker.org/
> com/groups/
> > opt_out.

> > > [1] [2][4]https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out
> >
> > --
> opt_out.

> > [3] [8]https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out

Emin Gün Sirer

Mar 17, 2014, 12:46:35 PM3/17/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys,

We now noticed Bao's note. Glad to hear this was just a version mismatch of the glog library.

- egs

Jay Jagpal

Jun 11, 2014, 8:28:06 PM6/11/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
So I was poking buttons and I made a temporary fix of which corrected the problem pretty quickly.
I'm no C expert so it's an mostly 'off/on' fix.

1. Installed hyperdex based upon the online docs.
Build: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:31:23 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

2. Install complete; I receive the run error.

wget https://google-glog.googlecode.com/files/glog-0.3.2.tar.gz
tar -xvf glog-0.3.2.tar.gz
cd glog-0.3.2.tar.gz
./configure
./make
sudo aptitude remove hyperdex
./make install
sudo aptitude install hyperdex

(I wrote this in the browser so it may be wrong)

hyperdex coordinator -f -l 127.0.0.1 -p 1982

Works great.

Matthew Tamayo

Dec 11, 2014, 7:40:03 AM12/11/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to revive this thread, but it looks like their maybe another version mismatch in Centos 7:

On a fresh Centos 7 install, I'm getting the following error:

_ZN61FLAG__namespace_do_not_use_directly_use_DECLARE_int32_instead16FLAGS_logbufsecsE

I will try and see if manually installing glog fixes it.

Matthew Tamayo

Dec 11, 2014, 7:56:53 AM12/11/14
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
There's an issue with the latest upgrade of centos 7 and it is glog again.  The trigger seems to be running yum update for all packages, which installs a new version glog-0.3.3-8.el7.x86_64.

A simple workaround is to run yum downgrade glog, which restores glog.x86_64 0:0.3.0-5.el7.centos

Any chance this gets fixed before the next release?

-mtr

Gareth Smith

Apr 7, 2015, 6:29:22 AM4/7/15
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
I am having the same problem on Ubuntu 14.10. I tried to downgrade libgoogle-glog0 to the one in the hyperdex ppa, but was unable to, because:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 libgoogle-glog0 : Depends: libunwind7 but it is not installable

Gareth

Robert Escriva

Jul 23, 2015, 10:49:01 PM7/23/15
to hyperdex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gareth,

Part of the issue could be that we don't provide packages for HyperDex
on 14.10. This leads to ABI compatibility issues that confuse the
package manager.

-Robert